“Wonderful atmosphere and very good food” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Zanzibar

Cafe Zanzibar
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Kids, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Vancouver, Canada
“Wonderful atmosphere and very good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Not much to say really - eat here. Its excellent. Staff was professional but relaxed. We sat outside on the deck, which I loved with the vines and all the plants. I had beef Wellington, which was excellent. I'd go back in a heartbeat. In fact, I'd drive over there just to eat here.

• Visited July 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Vancouver Island, Canada
“On our doorstep”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2012

This local restaurant started out as Carden Street Cafe hosted by Michael who entertained with his trademark beret and bottle of Estancia. Now it is owned and run by very competent villagers who have had the good sense to retain its funky decor and atmosphere. Besides all else it's a nice, unpretentious atmosphere.
The fare has the usual standbys but inclines towards the east. On the dinner menu you will find North African lamb shank and Moroccan Duck tangine. The mulligatawny soup is quite excellent. The mains for dinner will run you around $25. There is a limited but varied wine list including some British Columbian offerings. A bottle of wine runs around the $40 mark. We upped it to $60 for a very drinkable Oregon Pinot Noir.
The service is friendly but disjointed. The place fills quickly and there is no sense of order in the manner in which you are served. Had it not been for my famous look, a foursome who came in fifteen minutes later than us would have beaten us to ordering drinks. Friends who visited for lunch said they got terrible service so clearly there is a message here to the management.
We shared the deep fried Brie for starters. It was good but not outstanding, a tad bland, although the sauce was very good. The duck tangine was judged the hit of the night, interesting, spicy and full of flavour. The lamb shank was a close second. The food was very good. Our Saturday night bill for two was a modest $64 before wine, taxes and tip. In total it was around $150.
A very pleasant experience in a restaurant right on our doorstep. Highly recommended,

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Victoria, Canada
“World's Best Brownie!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

I went here for my staff Christmas party this past holiday season and I am in love with their food. It all tastes so fresh and healthy, with lots of vegetarian and vegan options (I am neither but the dishes are still delicious).
Just recently my coworker had one of their zucchini brownies, and she brought some into work for us.. it is honestly the best brownie I have ever had (who would think vegetable brownies right?)!
The staff is so wonderful and so accommodating, it is well worth the drive into Brentwood, especially if you are already out there at Butchart Gardens

• Visited December 2011
1 Thank travelgal36064
Victoria, B.C.
“Excellent value/good food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2012

Superb cuisine for such an out of the way restaurant. The waitress (Jennifer) was attentive, pleasant and took excellent care of us. Prices were reasonable for the quality of the food ($15-24) and the wine list was decent. Cuisine is varied, we had a Gnocchi with asaigo cheese and walnuts with a spicey bean soup appetizer. Would highly recommend it

• Visited April 2012
British Columbia
“Superb Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

I attended a family dinner here with a total of 14 people. We had a private room beside the main dining room. The waitress we had was outstanding. She got the drinks out very quickly and the service throughout the meal was prompt and accurate. The food was absolutely fantastic. I had the Beef Wellington (a special) and I can truthfully say I have never had better. My wife opted for two starters, the seafood chowder and the scallops. I sampled both and they too were excellent. We will definitely visit the Zanzibar on our next visit to Vancouver Island.

• Visited February 2012