“Exceptional” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Cafe Zanzibar

Cafe Zanzibar
Cuisines: Canadian
Good for: Romantic, Dining on a budget, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
British Columbia
“Exceptional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2012

We had read the Trip Advisor reviews and expected a special dining experience. We were not disappointed. Warm ambience, great service, and best of all the food was outstanding. We would highly recommend this restaurant. It was packed full so we were glad that we reserved. Certainly one of the best restaurants on the Peninsula and somewhere we'll visit again soon.

• Visited February 2012

Victoria, Canada
“Lovely lunch, great service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2011

It has taken us months since I had read a good review in the local paper to try Zanzibar, but we are glad we did. We've passed the building a few times but hadn't realized it was a restaurant. It has its own charm and I appreciate the simplicity with the focus on the food preparation and ingredients. We tried two soups; the cream of asparagus and the minestrone. Both were good. My husband ordered the daily special of a duck and mushroom tart with side salad. He enjoyed every bite. I ordered the special flat bread pizza with turkey bacon, vegetables and cheese. It also was delicious and quite filling. We shared a pot of mint tea. Unfortunately there was no room for dessert. All the dishes that passed by us were attractive. We didn't have a reservation, but I can see how on some days they would be recommended. The prices were very reasonable. Lastly, I want to mention, the very pleasant service we had although the restaurant was very busy. We will definitely return when in the area.

• Visited November 2011
New Forest National Park Hampshire, United Kingdom
“Very Good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

Service was excellent and the food of a good quality, location could be a little better

Visited September 2011
Victoria
“Will make this a regular spot”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2011

I've read about this place a few times on trip advisor but don't usually wonder into the Brentwood Bay or at least not around lunch time. We were looking for a quick lunch and I remembered this cafe. WOW, I'm I happy I thought of this place. I had the Chicken Tandoori, my wife had Veggy Panini Sandwich topped off with the Tiramasu and Creme Brulee for desert. Food was outstanding, simply put. The outdoor dining area doesn't feel like you are outdoors as its enclosed inside a grapevine with a huge fruit tree bearing enormous figs. The staff are more then accommodating, the waitress personally made us chocolate milk, and brought us her own "patented' remedy for wasp stings when my wife got stung (by the way NO fault to the restaurant!!!) and I heard a couple behind us who got a custom ordered Vegan meal. Do not expect to come here and spend a fortune like some of the marina side restaurants, prices here are more then reasonable as a place downtown would probably charge close to double that. As the cafe is very close to several of my favorite Dive sites, I will be passing this place on to friends and look forward to stopping for Zucchini chocolate brownie bars on weekends!

• Visited August 2011
Victoria
“Easily the best restaurant in this area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2011

I live not far from Zanzibar, and have eaten there several times. The other reviews are correct - good food, reasonable portions (enough but not too much) and reasonable prices. It's small, so you'd better make a reservation. Breakfast is a local institution - the place is full. Dinner is also popular, but there are likely to be non-locals as well. My only complaint is the price of wine, but that's true everywhere in B.C.

• Visited July 2011