“Would never go back”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Victoria, Canada
“Would never go back”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Last week we stayed at this hotel after arriving back from mexico late at night. We have never stayed at a super 8 and we will never try it again. We walked into our room realizing it would not be much but we thought it would be okay to get afew hours sleep. We walked in and the smoke detector was hanging by a wire from the roof ..then my husband tried to get me extra pillows due to medical issues and the night clerk said "no" that he didn't have extra pillows. My husband then said can't you get any from another room ???? The clerk replied that he was busy with another customer. He didn't bother to call us back which was very rude ! We couldn't help notice how bad the room needed to be vacuumed , my husband wanted to check out but because I was sooo exhausted from a long flight I said lets just stay .... I should not have made that decision ...I talked to the front desk in the morning and the man said he would report it to the manager ...Noone got back to us with regards to our concerns ... We would never ever ever go back

Room Tip: Never stay at this hotel , the service was horrendous and the room was less then suitable
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cathy c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Campbell River
Reviewed May 6, 2012

We decided to stay at the Super 8 Victoria airport hotel to attend a near by dog agility trial. Good news: Super 8 is pet friendly and reasonably priced! Bad news: the young guy that checked us in seemed to hate his job, hasn't heard anything about customer service! First we got a key for a room that hasn't been cleaned, then the next day room service just made one of the two beds, dog rates seem to vary (we talked to other guests traveling with pets),
And lots more! We won't go back because nobody seems to care! This place seems to have very poor management!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank Orcadiva

Travelers are raving about these Central Saanich hotels

Nanaimo, Canada
Reviewed March 8, 2012

We stayed here one night only (arriving around 9:30pm and leaving at 4:45am to catch a very early flight). We had pre-booked via Hotwire - otherwise would have left immediately after seeing the room and gone across to the Waddling Dog Quality Inn.

First of all, it's located in behind a gas station, a MacDonalds and is sandwiched by a run down field of trailers (with people living in them year round, it was February!) and a wooded area. We were directed to use the back door as it was closer for us to get to our room on the second floor. It was dimly lit, NO security on the back door (did not make us feel safe at all) and very run down. Our room was so depressing. It may have been clean, but it didn't feel at all clean with everything being so threadbare and stained (carpet, bedspread, curtains, vanity, tub, etc.) We didn't even want to touch the bedspread as we know these usually aren't regularly laundered anywhere... the best I can say is that the sheets looked clean. I slept in my clothes (jeans/sweater/socks) as I didn't want to wear my nightgown!

The drapes did not cover our window and blew around while the heater was on. The heater made such a noise (not a continuous hum from the fan, but a clanking, random gurgling noise that was so bad, we heated the room up well and then had to shut it off to get any sleep).

I can't believe that Hotwire would offer this as an option to stay in their "deals" section and I will be contacting them to let them know I will never again book with them if this is the kind of place I could end up - the Quality Inn Waddling Dog and Travelodge in Sidney both have the same star rating and are WAY better choices.

Shocking to say the least and I can in NO WAY believe any positive reviews. This place could not even be refurbished in my opinion, it needs to be obliterated.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rxwestcoast
Calgary
Reviewed January 31, 2012

I stayed from Thursday to Sunday in January. Needed a cheap place to stay to do some business so didn't spend alot of time in the room overall.
Over the course of that stay I never saw a cleaning cart or staff in the hallway. I never had my garbage emptied the entire length of my stay, and my towels were attended to only on Friday. My bed was never made (or the sheets changed) and no one cleaned the room overall. No replenishment of soaps.
At one point I needed to empty my garbage as the used food containers were starting to stink, I took it downstairs, interrupted a woman on the phone to show me where to dump my trash. She pointed to under a sink in the breakfast area. No offer to check on the cleanliness of my room.
Not used to the cool, damp weather, I turned on the heat a couple times and the machine was very loud. Although, I didn't hear people in other rooms, any time water ran for a shower, it was also noisy.
Dated decor...the carpet in my room is the famous dusty rose color you see from the all the hotels of the 80s. Had mismatched chairs. A dusty rose lazy boy recliner type and a modern brown faux leather. One bed. Worn lino in the bathroom. Bed was not comfortable.
Free breakfast, yes, but afew slices of bread, odd pastry and a couple choices for dry cereal are your options. Not appealing. Not sure why they bother.
My room was on the second level, so there is only stairs, no elevator. In the stairwell the window had all sorts of spiderwebs. A light was burnt out.
My fridge worked fine, didn't use the microwave and tv was ok. Free WiFi.
Lots of free, outdoor parking. McDonalds with new decor, along with a gas station are very close by. Across the highway was a White Spot (never tried).
Need a car as there are few transportation options to get around (ie. bus, taxi). Closest Starbucks is either in Sidney or off Oak Drive (either way a 20 min drive).
Had a coworker stay on the main level and she had even more issues with cleanliness. Fridge froze all her food, etc.
Overall depressing atmosphere and I had to lower my expectations of cleanliness. I managed because I was on my own and was too busy to figure out another solution during my stay. I paid around $80/night but still wonder if it was worth it. Could NOT imagine paying a cent more. Howard Johnson was booked but I think I would push to stay there next time.

Room Tip: Pick one one the NON highway side.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank passitforward
ottawa
Reviewed August 30, 2011

The staff was friendly and very accommodating. Room was very clean. All rooms equipped with small microwave and refrigerator. Free continental breakfast every morning. Small tourist town with a variety of boutiques nearby. Within minutes to airport . For an overnight stay why pay more. Don't forget to ask for seniors or CAA discounts when booking.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OttawaVictoria_bc
vancouver
Reviewed June 26, 2011

I was shocked at the layer of slimy grunge that seemed to be on every inch of my room...before I could get some sleep I had to wipe off my own rooms interior wall. There was a layer of filth that was actually dangling loosely from the wall that I had to use the bathroom towel to clean... otherwise I could never have fallen asleep even.
My rooms window overlooked a brick wall that was covered in graffiti....nothing like waking up in the morning to the view of alley and graffiti names and swears....has to be the worst view on an island that's soooo beautiful I'd think it'd be impossible to find a bad view... but they found it....
There was a couch chair in the corner of the room that was covered in grease stains where peoples heads had leaned on and also had strange stains all over the armrests... looked worse than a chair you'd expect to see at the side of the road with a "free" sign on it.
I lay on top of the bed and checked my armpits to see if I had a case of BO because I could smell some bad body odor...but it wasn't me... it was the bed sheet that I was laying on that clearly had not been washed...some hotels need to learn to wash the comforter too...it freakin stank.
Checked under the bed for bed bugs over and over again all night... but luckily the only thing that was under the mattress was filth....
The door on my room's side of the hotel didn't lock and so anyone off the street had access to the hotel without even going through the from entrance and lobby... pretty scary as far as safety when people can get right to your room without even using a key card.
The "Super" start breakfast consisted of rotten mushy oranges, cereal, stale bread for making toast and some angel food cake... but don't eat the angel food cake unless you feel like barfing or feeling ill all day....
These were just the main issues with the hotel... I won't even get into the smaller problems that come with having a hotel located next to a trailer park and the child and family services offices on the gray building on the other side...
The staff were actually very friendly and helpful... makes me feel bad that this is the hotel they're stuck working at...they're far too nice and hardworking for such a dive.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank pablito123
British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed October 12, 2010

We chose this hotel because they offered a park and fly option. We stayed here upon our return to Victoria. The high season rate posted on the door said $150 per night. OMG I would rather have slept in my car, but we were tired after our long flight.

When we entered the motel, the smell and appearance of the reception are was dated and filthy. The room was worse. Although the thin sheets appeared clean, I was afraid to remove my shoes when walking on the carpet because it was filthy. The curtains were crusty and smelly, the furnishings dated, the room dark and the bathroom reeked of old stale urine, the shower curtain was stained and smelly. With only one small bottle of cheap shampoo and a bar of soap, the smell of stale cigarettes was disgusting as was the cheap room freshner that tried to cover it. I used handiwipes to wipe down the door knobs and handles just in case. Did I mention the black mold on the window sills?

The continental breakfast was a joke. Their "Fresh Baked Goods" were nothing more than some processed pre-wrapped 7-11 type muffins, coffee was so weak that it tasted like tea. I walked over to McDonald's to get coffee. The neighbourhood consists of small old travel trailers that people have made into make-shift homes. A fellow smoking pot wandered through the parking lot. I've stayed in better hotels in central america and they only charged $20. Stay away. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank heeter_lyn23
Sandymack, Manager at Super 8 Saanichton Victoria Airport, responded to this review, November 21, 2010
We are sorry that your experience at the Victoria Airport Super 8 did not meet your expectations. We make it a pratice to share all our guest's comments with our staff and management team. It is through comments such yours that we work to help improve guests experiences.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Central Saanich
Sidney Waterfront Inn & Suites
Best Western Plus Emerald Isle Hotel
The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake

Been to Super 8 Saanichton Victoria Airport? Share your experiences!