“A quick trip”

and up
Victoria in One Day Sightseeing Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A Vibrant Jungle Experience. A unique opportunity to experience the beauty and curiosity of a tropical jungle up close. Meet our family with surprises at every turn. You’ll encounter tortoises, large iguanas, poison dart frogs, free flying tropical birds and more. Enjoy tropical fish, ducks, flamingos and koi fish in our serene pond and stream circulated by a stunning waterfall. Thousands of tropical butterflies (up to 70 species) fly through our large facilities the size of almost 3 basketball courts. Stroll through and marvel at our lush gardens including tropical flowers, carnivorous plants and fruits of the world. Wander in our newest Exhibit, the Insectarium, full of impressive insects & invertebrates from around the world. Your jungle adventure awaits.
canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“A quick trip”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

The admission was a bit more than I had expected (it was $40 for 2 adults and 1 paying child) considering how much time we spent there, but it was a beautiful place to visit. My 4 year old tired after 25 minutes, but the 6 year old was still keen to continue looking around - she really enjoyed using the chart to spot the different butterflies and were lucky enough to have a few butterflies hitch a ride on her arm for awhile. We took our time and slowly looped around the space 3 times...and were out in less than 40 minutes. The kids enjoyed the flamingoes and Koi just as much as the butterflies, and I thought the gardens were really well put together. If you have a child who adores studying nature, and in particular, butterflies, she will be able to spend hours here. Otherwise, like others have mentioned, try to pair this attraction with the Butchart Gardens.

Visited May 2012
VicBG, General Manager at Victoria Butterfly Gardens, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Thank you for your comments. I would like to thank you for visiting but I am a little concerned that you may have over paid for your visit. You mentioned that you had 2 adults, one child under 5 and one over 5. The cost should have been $35.00. If this was not the case, please accept my apology and we would be happy to refund you the difference.

I would have to agree that pairing our attraction with The Butchart Gardens makes for an unforgettable day. We hope to see you again soon.

Victoria, Canada
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Was expecting more...”
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I'm a local so maybe I'm spoiled...but I found that this place is nice to see, but it's not very big, and it's pricey admission.

When my kids were little (ie. 4 or younger), I ended up buying a family season's pass because we'd arrive, pay our admission (ok, so kids under 5 are free...but adult admission was $15!), then only spend literally 20-30 minutes there before they were bored and wanted to leave. But seeing all the colourful butterflies, koi, flamingos and other birds were a treat. And sometimes the butterflies would land on you - which would either thrill the kids or freak them out!

I recently went again..this time with older kids. Again, I just found it pricey for the amount of time you'd spend there. And it's not that we raced around...we stopped and read all the descriptions and watched the butterflies. But still, it seemed a bit lackluster. We went with friends, for which it was their first time to visit. We did the loop and they asked "is that it?" And the attraction looked a bit tired. When we had gone a few years ago there were staff throughout discussing the life cycle of butterflies, and we always enjoyed looking out for the yellow, orange and red tags on various plants to show us where butterfly eggs, cocoons and caterpillars were. This recent time, I didn't see any of that (although I found eggs and evidence of caterpillars on my own), and there wasn't a staff member in sight! Not sure if it was because it was a Friday in April so maybe not "high" season...

I'd say for a first time visitor you'd need about an hour to go through. The gift store is quite nice...again, though, I noticed that they didn't have quite the selection that they used to. Combine with Butchart Gardens would be something to consider...but go early in the day because you'd certainly need WAY more time at Butcharts.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Sharon M
Hi Mamamoss

Thank you for your comments. I have read through them thoroughly and I have found some very nice comments and some things we can improve on to benefit all of our guests. I noticed that you mentioned that on a previous visit you had one of our staff take you around. I Am not sure if you are aware that we still offer free tours at 11, 1, 3 and 5pm daily. On these tours you will definately explore and see things that you would not normally notice on a walk through. As well, if you do not happen to be there at that time, just ask our staff and they will be happy to take you on a tour of the Gardens at no charge. In order to respect our guests who just want to enjoy the Gardens on their own our scheduled tours are only done 4 times a day but we are always happy to take you on an impromptu tour.

I also thought you might like to know that if you buy an annual pass, it is the best way to experience the gardens and save some money. With one of these passes you can visit us in December for the Christmas lights festival, escape the dreary cold days of January and February with a dose of the tropics, come visit in March for March Morpho Madness when we release up to 1000 Blue Morpho butterflies into the Gardens or maybe you might visit in April to see our Lafybug release plus many other special events that we have throughout the 12 months of the year.

Keep in mind that while we do have all the life cycle stages of the butterfly at the Gardens but it is not until late April that there in house reproduction starts. I hope you find this helpful and you will come back when you can
Edson, Alberta
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lots to see”
Reviewed May 10, 2012

This attraction was interesting, however it is quite small so we had allowed to much time. Good to see once but not someplace that we would visit again.

Visited May 2012
Thank you for your review. I hope you were able to take one of our guided tours which helps you to explore all the nooks and crannies of the Jungle. Many of our year round pass holders come back for the different events we hold throughout the year. Please check our website or call us to find out what is happening next at the Gardens. We just released 30 baby button quail into the gardens and our poison dart frogs had babies, our caterpillars are everywhere and some have started pupating. These all great reasons to come back and visit.
Victoria, Canada
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Great butterflies & moths. From pupae to beautiful adults. Bring your camera!! but be patient, these are live creatures..Beautiful plants and flowers. (It's hot and humid so you won't need your coat & your camera may fog up, but it will soon recover) Combine with a trip to Butchart Gardens and you have an all day extravaganza!

Visited July 2011
1 Thank LotusJohnson
VicBG, General Manager at Victoria Butterfly Gardens, responded to this review, April 30, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review. I would have to agree, when you combine the beauty of the Jungle with the splendor of The Butchart Gardens, it make s for a day that you will never forget. Thank you for taking the time to write your review and I hope you are able to visit again.
Friday Harbor
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Ok, but overpriced”
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I've been to several butterfly gardens (as parts of zoos, etc), and this one was very small. Butterfies were not as plentiful. There were 2 flamingos, some turtles and about 3-4 other birds. Kinda disappointing considering the admission price...Porltand, OR zoo does a much better job!

Visited April 2012
VicBG, General Manager at Victoria Butterfly Gardens, responded to this review, April 25, 2012
Hello
I thought it important to make some corrections to your assessment of our Jungle. We are always looking for ways to improve our experience, however, it is important to note that we actually have 30 different species of tropical birds at the Gardens, In total we have over 60 birds and 2 different types of Tortoises (9 tortoises in all), 6 Turtles, Geckos, Poison dart frogs, a chameleon and approximately 6000 tropical butterflies.

What we lack in size of the Gardens we try to make up for in variety. I encourage everyone to take one of our complimentary tours which are offered at 11, 1, 3 and 5 each day. This will give you the best experience and show you things that you might miss. If you are unable to see us at that time just ask our staff for a complimentary tour and they will make sure that you get one asap.

Our admission price is for one full day which means you can visit then go for lunch and come back free of charge to see how things changed throughout the day. We have not raised our rates in 18 months and will not be doing so in the near future as we want to remain accessible to all. You may also want to note that we have lowered our rates for Students, Seniors and Children. We are also free for children under 5 (used to be under 3).

I hope you will come back and experience us again with a tour so you can see all that we have to offer.