“A very unique small hotel!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Quality Inn Waddling Dog

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Quality Inn Waddling Dog
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Renfrew, Canada
“A very unique small hotel!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2013

Stayed here just before flying out of the Victoria Airport. It is an interesting small hotel with lots of atmosphere. The room was large and beds comfortable. The restaurant/pub offered some great meal options too. Very convenient to the airport too!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank SusieQ101

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Port Moody, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

Breakfast was included, the dog is absolutely adorable and the room was spacious and pretty clean.

However, there is a much longer list of the downsides. The 3 front desk women we encountered during our one night stay were all unfriendly, distant and rather uninterested in us as customers. The included breakfast was meager, the food was not fresh and the juice machine wasn't working. We even asked about it and the front desk lady said "Oh there's juice in it"...but there wasn't and she didn't even bother to come check. So we ate a bowl of cereal and a muffin and had nothing to drink with it. I realize now it was a good thing, because the glasses were covered with dust and every one I picked up was filthy.

The bed was very firm and uncomfortable and there wasn't a comforter on the bed, just a thin top covering. In April it is still pretty cold at night and I was freezing. We couldn't leave the heater on to fall asleep because it would make the room boiling hot until we got up and turned it off. Even though we only stayed one night, it was enough to convince me to stay somewhere else next time I visit the island.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gobletoffireball

Travelers are raving about these Central Saanich hotels

Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

This is an older 3 story hotel that has been partially updated. The bed was pretty comfortable. The room has a wall unit heater that worked well to warm the room when it was cold outside. Located just off the highway from the ferry toward Victoria' it's a bit far out to use for a city visit but is close to the ferry, Butchart Gardens and the airport, so make for a good choice for the beginning or end of a South Island stay. Formerly known as the "Waddling Dog Hotel" the tradition remains with a resident Basset Hound. Quieter rooms are on the back of the hotel, but I did not find my room overlooking the front entrance to be bothered.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank David C
Jerusalem Israel
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

Since we were flying out of Victoria Airport early in the morning and arriving back fairly late in the evening we booked into the Waddling Dog for the night before and after our trip. We knew they were no longer offering breakfast but theyt did keep our car for us for two weeks and got us to the airport. We had to get ourselves back upon return. I checked it out and their rate was cheaper than paying the airport to leave the car with them.
We arrived at the hotel late in the afternoon and were checked in immediately by the woman on durty. The place was fixed up to look like an old Victorian house but with maybe too much success. Victorian England was drab and dull but the hotel could have been brightened up somewhat without loosing the ambience. I immediately fell in love with the resident dog but he is kept behind the counter and doesn't mingle with the guests.
In both instances our room was large but there was insufficient lighting even by hotel standards. The first night we were there it was hot and we needed the air conditioner at least for a while and when we arrived back the room was freezing and needed to be warmed up. In both instances we had to use a very loud air conditioner/heater which sort of did the job but had to be turned off if you wanted to be able to sleep.
We ate in the pub just because it was there and we were hungry but the food was far from tempting. It's hard to make a club sandwich unappetizing but they managed to and my husband who likes hot spicy food, found his soup just overly spiced.
With a bit of fixing up this could be a lovely old hotel but as it is we would find another solution for our car and stay elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank vdl2ca
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

After our ferry ride from Anacortes in Washington State we disembarked in Sidney BC and rolled our rental car into the line for Canadian Customs. There is no dedicated lane for Nexus holders but the wait was under 15 minutes. Then the search started for this Quality Inn which was not in town but a few kilometers down the road to Victoria. Once there and parked in a very spacious lot we entered the lobby and instantly were thrown back to a time gone by. I found it funny and charming though a bit exaggerated, a little dowdy and dusty...but we were committed to a two night stay, were greeted by a lovely woman who accomodated us with a ground floor room with fridge.
The door to our unit was massive , and looked like a prop from the set of a gothic film but when we opened the door we were surprised at the spacious room, the updated counter, coffee maker plus . Red Rose Tea bags. The bathroom looked to have been updated. The tiles were decorated with tiny pink rose motif and also looked to be new.
Our queen bed was rather firm which is not always a bad thing but the lighting was inadequate even with all the lamps on. King beds are not available. Otherwise the room was ok but dark green covers, dark carpeting just added to the general gloom . The waddling dog himself, John the fifth, is lovely but kept away from guests behind the counter. He does pose for pictures. There is no complementary breakfast at this hotel but there is a Pub of the same name. We also used the liquor store which is part of the complex. They had a good selection of wines and we bought two as gifts.
While I did enjoy the lounge with all the musty school books and was grateful for the hot water for tea, I think the place needs attention and has the potential to be far more welcoming. I actually saw a couple walk in, take a look around the lobby and turn on their heels abruptly...saying "no way".
There is one computer ( no printer ) in the old English sitting room but in the two days I never saw anyone actually sitting there to read .This could be a focal point of the place but I got the idea that the adjacent pub was the the focus, and the rooms something of an afterthought.
What about afternoon tea at Waddling Dog ?
The location itself is ideal and I would consider the place again in a pinch.

Room Tip: Check out your room first and give them your feedback.
Central Saanich, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the fact that they refuse to serve me food because my shellfish allergy is deemed "too severe" for them to ensure my safety - they honestly told me they don't have the time to clean their hands, cookware, or grills to prevent cross contamination.

I won't go into too much detail about the waitress who served me alcoholic beverages for several hours, then began ignoring my repeated requests for a glass of water after I had finished drinking since water is free.

I won't complain about the fact that they continue to advertise a continental breakfast then tell you upon arrival that they discontinued that tradition many months ago.

I won't bemoan the fact that the washroom had mildew.

This review is simply about them nearly ruining my wedding night. My husband and I decided to stay at the Waddling Dog because I stayed there numerous times a year for close to a decade while visiting my grandmother in Saanichton before we moved here permanently. We also chose this hotel because it is a 10 minute drive from our home which made it very convenient to stop by our house to pick up food, drinks, and our dog for our road trip to our actual honeymoon in Ucluelet.

We checked in around midnight. We were dropped off by family members because muggings and break-ins do occur occasionally since the motel is so close to the reservation and our car was decorated with streamers, bows and a just married sign and we have always had awful luck.

During check-in I felt something crawling up my leg and biting me. I thought nothing of it, and just tried to brush it away. We got into the room exhausted since we had only had about 2 hours sleep in the past 48 hours, so we get ready to crawl into bed. I then realized the bug hadn't been brushed off and just crawled further up my leg, so I reached under my pajamas and pulled it out. It was a BED BUG. We were obviously freaked out, so we inspected the bed only to see countless more bed bugs crawling around, and the blood drops of their feces.

My mother (a corporate travel agent who works with hotels for a living) came to pick us up, and managed to get our money back since we only stayed in the hotel for about an hour. Upon arriving home we had to have a scalding shower, get undressed in the backyard and wash everything. There were over a dozen bites on both myself and my husband, and I even found that the bed bugs had crawled into my purse, into my wallet. We were up until 4am dealing with these pests.

The most upsetting part is that upon reading more reviews it was clear that the hotel had been advised of their infestation by other patrons only days prior to our check-in. What kind of business knowingly books people into rooms that they know are unclean, with pests that will follow the people home where they will have to hire exterminators?!

Room Tip: None of these rooms are safe from the bed bugs.
11 Thank SammStOnge
Burnaby, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed August long weekend for a night. Check in was courteous. Room was very spacious, did have a bit of a smell... Cute dog that is around the hotel. The floor of the shower was very odd - it was squishy in a way that there seemed to be space between the upper layer and the bottom layer and there was a large air pocket that moved around when ever we stepped around in it. The sheets seemed clean, and bed somewhat comfortable. However, about a week after since staying at the hotel, I have somewhere between 30-40 bug bites on my body. I called to ask the hotel if they had any bed bugs recently and they did confirm that they had them a couple of months back, however they did not offer any consolation after I told them of the bites that I suffered nor did they respond when I submitted my guest survey, which of course included my first experience with these pests...

8 Thank awyc
waddlingdog, General Manager at Quality Inn Waddling Dog, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear awyc,

I sincerely apologize for the events during your recent stay. We take the health and safety of our guests very seriously. Like many hotels throughout North America, big and small, we have been affected by this problem. As such, we have pest control protocols in place which include calling our pest control contractor as soon as we are notified of an issue. Any affected room is treated immediately and is not put back in service until given clearance by the professionals.

As for your call to our hotel to report your problem it was our front desk agents understanding that you were calling just to make us aware of the problem so it could be dealt with. Therefore the message that was conveyed to me was that there was no follow up required. I apologize for the confusion and if you would like me to follow up please contact me at rborland@qualityinnvictoria.com.

Regards,

#27 of 52 in Victoria
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
Brentwood Bay Resort & Spa
#1 of 4 in Central Saanich

Been to Quality Inn Waddling Dog? Share your experiences!