“Has Potential”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Central Saanich
Toronto, Canada
“Has Potential”
Reviewed September 10, 2012

After our ferry ride from Anacortes in Washington State we disembarked in Sidney BC and rolled our rental car into the line for Canadian Customs. There is no dedicated lane for Nexus holders but the wait was under 15 minutes. Then the search started for this Quality Inn which was not in town but a few kilometers down the road to Victoria. Once there and parked in a very spacious lot we entered the lobby and instantly were thrown back to a time gone by. I found it funny and charming though a bit exaggerated, a little dowdy and dusty...but we were committed to a two night stay, were greeted by a lovely woman who accomodated us with a ground floor room with fridge.
The door to our unit was massive , and looked like a prop from the set of a gothic film but when we opened the door we were surprised at the spacious room, the updated counter, coffee maker plus . Red Rose Tea bags. The bathroom looked to have been updated. The tiles were decorated with tiny pink rose motif and also looked to be new.
Our queen bed was rather firm which is not always a bad thing but the lighting was inadequate even with all the lamps on. King beds are not available. Otherwise the room was ok but dark green covers, dark carpeting just added to the general gloom . The waddling dog himself, John the fifth, is lovely but kept away from guests behind the counter. He does pose for pictures. There is no complementary breakfast at this hotel but there is a Pub of the same name. We also used the liquor store which is part of the complex. They had a good selection of wines and we bought two as gifts.
While I did enjoy the lounge with all the musty school books and was grateful for the hot water for tea, I think the place needs attention and has the potential to be far more welcoming. I actually saw a couple walk in, take a look around the lobby and turn on their heels abruptly...saying "no way".
There is one computer ( no printer ) in the old English sitting room but in the two days I never saw anyone actually sitting there to read .This could be a focal point of the place but I got the idea that the adjacent pub was the the focus, and the rooms something of an afterthought.
What about afternoon tea at Waddling Dog ?
The location itself is ideal and I would consider the place again in a pinch.

Room Tip: Check out your room first and give them your feedback.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Central Saanich, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I'm not going to go into too much detail about the fact that they refuse to serve me food because my shellfish allergy is deemed "too severe" for them to ensure my safety - they honestly told me they don't have the time to clean their hands, cookware, or grills to prevent cross contamination.

I won't go into too much detail about the waitress who served me alcoholic beverages for several hours, then began ignoring my repeated requests for a glass of water after I had finished drinking since water is free.

I won't complain about the fact that they continue to advertise a continental breakfast then tell you upon arrival that they discontinued that tradition many months ago.

I won't bemoan the fact that the washroom had mildew.

This review is simply about them nearly ruining my wedding night. My husband and I decided to stay at the Waddling Dog because I stayed there numerous times a year for close to a decade while visiting my grandmother in Saanichton before we moved here permanently. We also chose this hotel because it is a 10 minute drive from our home which made it very convenient to stop by our house to pick up food, drinks, and our dog for our road trip to our actual honeymoon in Ucluelet.

We checked in around midnight. We were dropped off by family members because muggings and break-ins do occur occasionally since the motel is so close to the reservation and our car was decorated with streamers, bows and a just married sign and we have always had awful luck.

During check-in I felt something crawling up my leg and biting me. I thought nothing of it, and just tried to brush it away. We got into the room exhausted since we had only had about 2 hours sleep in the past 48 hours, so we get ready to crawl into bed. I then realized the bug hadn't been brushed off and just crawled further up my leg, so I reached under my pajamas and pulled it out. It was a BED BUG. We were obviously freaked out, so we inspected the bed only to see countless more bed bugs crawling around, and the blood drops of their feces.

My mother (a corporate travel agent who works with hotels for a living) came to pick us up, and managed to get our money back since we only stayed in the hotel for about an hour. Upon arriving home we had to have a scalding shower, get undressed in the backyard and wash everything. There were over a dozen bites on both myself and my husband, and I even found that the bed bugs had crawled into my purse, into my wallet. We were up until 4am dealing with these pests.

The most upsetting part is that upon reading more reviews it was clear that the hotel had been advised of their infestation by other patrons only days prior to our check-in. What kind of business knowingly books people into rooms that they know are unclean, with pests that will follow the people home where they will have to hire exterminators?!

Room Tip: None of these rooms are safe from the bed bugs.
11 Thank SammStOnge

Travelers are raving about these Central Saanich hotels

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Stayed August long weekend for a night. Check in was courteous. Room was very spacious, did have a bit of a smell... Cute dog that is around the hotel. The floor of the shower was very odd - it was squishy in a way that there seemed to be space between the upper layer and the bottom layer and there was a large air pocket that moved around when ever we stepped around in it. The sheets seemed clean, and bed somewhat comfortable. However, about a week after since staying at the hotel, I have somewhere between 30-40 bug bites on my body. I called to ask the hotel if they had any bed bugs recently and they did confirm that they had them a couple of months back, however they did not offer any consolation after I told them of the bites that I suffered nor did they respond when I submitted my guest survey, which of course included my first experience with these pests...

8 Thank awyc
waddlingdog, General Manager at Quality Inn Waddling Dog, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear awyc,

I sincerely apologize for the events during your recent stay. We take the health and safety of our guests very seriously. Like many hotels throughout North America, big and small, we have been affected by this problem. As such, we have pest control protocols in place which include calling our pest control contractor as soon as we are notified of an issue. Any affected room is treated immediately and is not put back in service until given clearance by the professionals.

As for your call to our hotel to report your problem it was our front desk agents understanding that you were calling just to make us aware of the problem so it could be dealt with. Therefore the message that was conveyed to me was that there was no follow up required. I apologize for the confusion and if you would like me to follow up please contact me at rborland@qualityinnvictoria.com.

Regards,

Ross Borland, General Manager
Rimbey
Reviewed July 15, 2012

found this hotel very dated, old, musty, definitely a hertiage hotel, tho they have tried adding some renos to the room. desk clerk, not helpful, no continental breakfast.wouldn/t stay here again. needs a complete make over.!

Room Tip: choose a different more modern hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Susan P
Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

Very good for the money and well located. Near butchart garden and easy access to ferry, airport, downtown and restaurants.

• Stayed August 2011
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed June 29, 2012

Stayed for one night as I had an early flight the next morning. The staff were very courteous and attentive both at check-in and check-out. The decor is "older" but I'd hardly demean it by calling it dated; the old-fashionedness is part of the charm. I also found my room to be amazingly quiet for being beside a highway. The airconditioner worked well...perhaps TOO well (set it to hi and woke up freezing). The only issues I faced were the alarm clock and the wall plug. The clock appeared to have.come out of the Kim Campbell era and was about as successful at tuning a radio station as she was in the election. And as their was no wall plug near the bed, I tried to remove the plug for the bedside lamp but found that it was stuck in there. I mentioned these two things when I checked out and the front desk agent was proper courteous and took notes.for the maintenance staff. Overall I was very satisfied and will likely return again should the need arise.

• Stayed June 2012
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed June 11, 2012

The Tudor style hotel is just 6 KM from Victoria airport and reasonably priced that would make it a good choice if you had an early morning flight, we had to be at the airport at 5:30 AM. The hotel shows signs of aging, the exterior paint could use some freshening. The desk clerk was friendly and handled our check in quickly. The air in the halls and the rooms was stale like a hotel that at one time allowed smoking, but no longer does, just not a fresh, clean smell. Our room was clean and had everything we needed for our overnight stay. There is a 24 hour McDonald's across the road for a quick breakfast before you head out. On the opposite corner is a White Spot restaurant, and there is a restaurant and bar in the hotel, but we didn't use either facility. The Victoria area hotels can be quite expensive and a fairly long drive to the airport, in traffic, it could take up to a half hour. A good convenient place to stay if you have to catch a flight.

Room Tip: I think probably all of the rooms are similar, our faced the front.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Central Saanich
The Cedarwood Inn and Suites
Best Western Plus Emerald Isle Hotel
Sidney Waterfront Inn & Suites
The Sidney Pier Hotel & Spa
Howard Johnson Hotel and Suites Victoria Elk Lake
Travelodge Victoria Airport

Been to Quality Inn Waddling Dog? Share your experiences!