“Excellent half day trip while in Victoria”

The Butchart Gardens
$235.61*
Full-Day Vancouver to Victoria Tour by Ferry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: These internationally acclaimed floral display gardens and National Historic Site of Canada started over 100 years ago and remain privately owned by the family. Jennie Butchart wanted to make her husband's depleted limestone quarry look better and the result is the Sunken Garden. Other gardens include the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden and the Italian Garden. The gardens are meticulously maintained and provide a riot of colour for much of the year. During the summer, special lighting subtly illuminates the gardens, musical entertainment takes place on the Concert Lawn, and there are ten spectacular Saturday night Firework Shows. The Magic of Christmas season also has beautiful lighting and evening entertainment, and an outdoor skating rink. Spring offers hundreds of thousand flowering bulbs and Autumn is the time for dahlias, chrysanthemums and fall colours. The Gardens is open daily, year round.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 25, 2013

If you are into flowers and gardens this is your spot. It's easy to walk around in about 2.5 hours without feeling rushed. Very well maintained. Evenings, especially Saturdays, brings entertainment. While they do hand out a booklet with names & photos of the flowers, it is surprising that only the roses section has the names of the flowers on markers in the garden. This makes identifying the flowers difficult since the colors in the photos are not always true.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,767)

Reviewed July 25, 2013

As a shore excursion we visited Butchart Gardens and Butterfly Gardens and really enjoyed both. Our shore excursion was only $10 more than those who only got to see Butchart Gardens and they got roughly the same amount of time at Butchart Gardens as we did (plus we got 45 min at Butterfly Gardens) - well worth the extra $10. The gardens were clean and well kept. We stayed until it was fairly dark and were able to get some cool shots of the fountain with it's changing color lights. We were able to see everything during our short stay at the park, but I would have liked to spend a bit more time (2-3 hours is probably ideal).

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Where do I start? My husband and I are frequent travelers and we often enjoy much of Europe, Canada and the the United States. I only mention this to point out that we have seen great sights and had wonderful experiences with those we have met during our travels…and have had some less than stellar experiences.
Three years ago we visited Vancouver Island. We had planned to spend six days there and then go back and explore Vancouver. We liked the Island so much we spent our entire vacation there. While there, I told my husband that I wanted to visit Buchart Gardens. He sort of snorted and said, "Honey, I love you, but I REALLY don't want to go see a garden." I told him, "This is not a garden, it is a garden on steroids!"
We went the next day. The first thing I did was take him for a wonderful lunch outside on the veranda at the Buchart's ancestral home. He loved it. When we walked through the gardens, he admitted it was unlike any place he had ever seen, in fact we went back two days later!

All of this is an introduction to my July, 2013 story. We are just completing a two-week vacation in Victoria. My husband readily agreed to another lunch at BG and a view of the grounds. Then I told him I had booked a second visit three days later….at 8 p.m. (he is not a night owl and BH is a 35 minute drive from Victoria) to see fireworks. He said - "Why don't we go somewhere for a romantic dinner instead? We have a relationship talk! Can't we just watch the boats in the harbor? Let's hug and share our feelings…" You get the picture. He complained that it was a long drive out, an hour and a half wait, fighting crowds for the same old fireworks we see often back home. I told him we could sit outside on our own picnic table before the fireworks and the restaurant would provide us with a picnic and a bottle of wine.

We went and - he hugged me all the way home telling me how wonderful an experience we had just shared. The fireworks experience at Buchart Gardens is unbelievable. You can't just see it from a distance (half of it is at ground level); you must get close and be part of it. Although we are not easily impressed, we laughed and giggled like children during the event. It is incredible.

Now as to why I love BG. I have finally had to get expensive, progressive eyeglasses. I waited a long time to accept this fact. They came in just before our trip here and I was thrilled to be able to see near and far, and also to have them magically darken when I went outside. The morning after the fireworks, I realized I had left them on the grass! I was heartbroken and just knew that even if they were found, they were undoubtedly broken with thousands of people leaving the fireworks in the dark.
My husband emailed them anyway and they responded that they had them! Now here is the cool part: We told the BG lady that we were staying at a hotel on the Victoria harbor, which it a $120 round trip cab ride from Buchart Gardens. She said she would call us back. Shortly thereafter….she called to ask us our hotel and room number. Three hours later they delivered the glasses to our hotel…at no charge!
Buchart Gardens is among the great wonders of the modern world…..and so are BG staff. This is one, world class operation that treats all its visitors as treasured guests. Thank you Butchart Gardens, we will be back!

Reviewed July 25, 2013

First time visiting. It was so beautiful.Fireworks in the evening were spectacular!Bring a chair or blanket and food.Tea at the restaurant was very nice.Yes very crowded. A group The Midnights sang on stage in the evening, which made a nice rest.Read the story in the gift shop of the lady who started the gardens with her husband.Nice visit.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Despite the steep admission price the various displays of flowers, the setting and the large trees scattered throughout were well worth it. It was a cloudless and warm day and crowded but from the reviews it appears crowds are always there. We had 2 hours before we had to meet back at the bus and that did not allow for any time to sit and admire (though benches were available). I would have liked to spend more time looking at the fountains and at the Japanese gardens. I would suggest planning 3-4 hours to see everything, dine and visit the gift shop.