Butchart Garden is an excellent facility and demonstrates what the passion of a single individual can achieve in restoring an area. The fireworks show on Saturday evenings in July and August is excellent (take a picnic supper and go before the show to enjoy the gardens first).
There are, however, several cheaper (sometimes free) gardens in the Greater Victoria area (listed alphabetically):
- Abkhazi Garden (admission charge)
- Beacon Hill Park (free)
- Government House (free)
- Playfair Park (free - best in spring for the Rhododendrons)
- Royal Roads University (pay parking)
- University of Victoria (pay parking)
- Walking Uplands or Broadmead neighbourhoods (free)
Short to moderate hikes for those interested in wildflowers:
- Bear Hill - Spring wildflowers
- Lone Tree Hill - Early to mid spring
- Mt Wells (primarily satin flowers in the early to mid spring)
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.