“Pretty but overpriced” 3 of 5 bubbles

and up
Brentwood Bay Kayak Tour and Butchart Gardens Visit
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: These internationally acclaimed floral display gardens, and National Historic Site of Canada, started over 100 years ago and remain privately owned by the family. Jennie Butchart wanted to make her husband's depleted limestone quarry look better and the result is the Sunken Garden. Other gardens include the Rose Garden, the Japanese Garden and the Italian Garden. The gardens are meticulously maintained and provide a riot of colour for much of the year. During the summer, special lighting subtly illuminates the gardens, musical entertainment takes place on the Concert Lawn, and there are ten spectacular Saturday night Firework Shows. The Magic of Christmas season also has beautiful lighting and evening entertainment, and an outdoor skating rink. Spring offers hundreds of thousand flowering bulbs and Autumn is the time for dahlias, chrysanthemums and fall colours. The Gardens is open daily, year round.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
San Francisco, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Pretty but overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

Everyone says to go so we did and it's pretty, obviously, but at $30+ a person I'm not sure I'm recommend it unless you're really really really into gardens and don't have access to many where you are.

1 Thank asbtravels

• Thai first
Canada
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Beautiful gardens, but need some work on customer service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I am a Victoria resident, and a holder of a 12 month pass. You can tell I love the gardens in every season. I usually visit at least half a dozen times a year. If you're a visitor to Victoria, make sure you come to the Gardens; you won't regret it. Yes, it's pricey, which is why a pass is helpful. Problem? Because of the glut of visitors on Fireworks Saturdays, passholders are discouraged from entering the garden (even if they're there at 10 in the morning and not planning to stay past noon). On my last visit I was told to drive up to the bus parking lot, and walk to the tour bus gate to get in - nothing said about paying extra. I got in line, and when I got to the kiosk, showed my pass. They said I had to go to the ticket booth; I lined up again, only to be told that I had to pay full price, and would be reimbursed when I wanted to leave. I was so mad at this point that I left the Gardens - no-one told me at the main gate that I would have to pay. I wrote to their Customer Service department,and got absolutely no reply. This has left a very bad taste in my mouth, as someone who loves the gardens and has always been a faithful customer. I deiiberately went online ahead of time to check if there would be a problem using my pass on a Fireworks day - there was no such information. I think they're really resting on their laurels when it comes to how they treat their customers. Their prices are far too high (they even charge extra to skate in the winter time, after you've already paid full price to enter the Gardens!) - they know that they will always have more tourists to fill their pockets. So, yes, go to the Gardens - but let them know how you feel about their prices and how they treat their customers.

Visited August 2012
3 Thank NorthernLights2006
Tucson, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Like a Compass Near North!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

When we entered the parking lot - yes, the parking lot - we were so amazed that we felt we could just stay there the whole day. Entering the gardens, we didn't know which way to look (like a compass near north!). Mrs. Butchart really had a vision and the eye for it, as well. We spent at least 4 hours in these amazing gardens and could easily have spent all day. The sunken garden was our favorite, I think. The whole place is almost indescribable - it needs to be seen! Definitely worth the price of admission

phoenix
382 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 200 helpful votes
“Garden heaven except for the admission fee”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is my third time to butchart gardens in the past 20 years. The place is flawless and truly a garden masterpiece. Every inch of the grounds is immaculate and groomed. It is also a photographer's dream come true.

I realize that all this upkeep and maintenance has a price tag associated with it; however, with the volumes of people that go through it, I am trying to understand the cost/revenue point here. $33.00 including tax for adults that are not seniors. A little steep, but save your pennies and spend the day smelling the roses.

2 Thank chicago90Phoenix
Vancouver Island, Canada
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 57 helpful votes
“Stunning Display”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Today was the perfect day to visit the gardens! The experience started out right at the gate where the charming young lady greeted us and it just got better.The information provide looked good as we started our walk and it improved all along, right to the finish where we could talk to someone to help identify the plants. The planting were exceptional. An early start is a good idea as we had plenty of room to stop and smell the roses before the crowds arrived.Well worth the visit, I can't wait to see the garden in the next season!

1 Thank Comoxfoodie