“7 time visitor that can't wait for #8!”

Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort
Whistler, Canada
“7 time visitor that can't wait for #8!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

I had occasion to look at Trip Advisor's ratings for Becker's, out of curiosity, as I was planning my next canoe trip. The comments here, have prompted me to write my own reply.

I have delt with Lothar and his staff since the early 90's when he first bought the place, and have found his service to be consistantly top notch. There are other outfitters around, but nowhere are the cabins as clean, the equipment as high quality, and the service as consistant and reliable as Beckers, period.

I have been in the hospitality industry for almost 30 years, so I'd like to think I know what I am talking about. Is this the same experience you'd get, checking in to the "Four Seasons" in dowtown Vancouver? Hell no. In its own way, I think it's better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Robert S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Luang Prabang, Laos
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

My wife and I decided to start our Bowron Lake adventure by staying at
Beckers Lodge and using him as an outfitter.
Its a beautiful location, the accomodation is fine and the food good.
All this was ruined by the propieter who was the rudest and most
arrogant person I have ever met..
After asking him a question about the showers, which he was explaining
about, he started to spell it out asking if I did not understand
english and belittling us.When we complained about his attitude he threatened to throw us
out.
It didn't stop there as he he abused us for not being married, telling my
wife she was too old at 40 to be needing to call her mother, when she
enquired about a phone.
I thought he must have taken a dislike to us but it became clear he
was lke that to everyone and it was painful to hear him interacting with
customers and staff.
Be warned- do not go to Bekkers, choose another outfitter and enjoy
the Bowron Lake circuit.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank Brocklar

Travelers are raving about these Wells hotels

Alberta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

The irony of this is, he has a tripadvisor decal on his office door. Does he not care what people are saying about him. Do everyone a favour - Dont give this guy a cent and save yourself frustration, aggravation & bad advice. He is abusive, evasive and condescending. He takes every chance he can get to be a jerk. There are great campgrounds to stay at other this his, there are other cabins to rent other than his, and canoe outfitting is abundant other than his. Be warned - I wish I had been. Its too bad he has such a nice place and that he can be successful depsite himself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
9 Thank SkiAlberta
Maple Ridge, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We booked our first Bowron Lake circuit trip with Becker's Lodge. This beautiful resort has a stunning view of Bowron Lake. The charming, well-constructed trapper cabins that we stayed in were water tight, sufficiently heated by a wood-burning stove, with firm mattresses, warm bedding, and very clean. Our favorite fully equipped cabin was the Betty Wendle with a large deck, bbq, and breathtaking view of the lake. The coin showers were hot and the gravel covered campround provided great drainage.

Becker's had everything we needed for our trip. For the four of us, our circuit package included 2 nights stay in trapper cabins, 1 canoe and 2 kayaks equipped with paddles and lifejackets and 3 carts. We also rented storage containers and dry bags which we were very grateful for during the rainy weather and when we accidentally tipped our canoe. The carts were lightweight and sturdy which were better for attaching to kayaks while paddling.

Upon our arrival, our host Lothar was friendly and helpful and had a unique sense of humour. He transported us with all of our equipment to the head of the parking lot for the first portage. He gave hands on demonstrations on how to attach the carts to the boats. He even had a safe to keep your valuables that you did not want to take with you.

Where the service was really exceptional was when 2 of us had to be pulled out half way through the circuit due to an emergency. Loftar was concerned and very accomodating which greatly helped to alleviate our worries. When we got back from the hospital, he checked up on us frequently to make sure we had everything we needed. The lady who ran the general store was also wonderful. She helped us choose food to get us by until the rest of our family was back from the circuit, and she helped me find a beautiful gift for my father's 80th birthday.

We would definitely return to Becker's and we highly recommend it.

1 Thank Leslie C
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

Our Becker's experience began with Tara, the customer service agent in Quesnel BC, who handles all of the bookings. Tara offered great suggestions about travel routes (avoid the logging roads) and also on the type and size of accommodation we could choose. As an experienced paddler, I knew exactly the type of canoe I wanted, I asked for it, and Tara took care of the rest. On arrival, we checked in with Lothar, and were directed to our cabin (Frank Kibbee Cabin). The cabin was immaculately kept. Not a speck of dust, dirt or grime anywhere. In fact, you can tell that Both Lothar and Bettina take tremendous pride in their establishment by how organized and well kept the place is. We purchased a few last minute items from the General Store, and spent a great evening getting all of our gear organized for the big trip! The next morning, Lothar had our Canoe waiting for us and drove us to the Provincial park orientation centre and wished us well. He took the time to give our boat a final inspection, and even pointed out a small dent in the thwart and made sure we knew it was no fault of ours. When we finished the circuit, Lothar mat us at the landing point and congratulated us on a job well done.

For those who are worried about "dealing with Lothar"...Don't...he's GREAT! I recommend the following however:
- If you are dealing with him, be genuine! He is a VERY interesting man and if you take the time to get to know him, he will take the time to get to know you!
- Your "first-world problems" like a 2-day car ride from California, or the fact that you need to stay up past 10:00PM are not his problems.
- If you ask him a question, wait for the answer. You might learn something.
-Bowron lakes is literally in the middle of nowhere. Don't expect all of the conveniences of urban living. There are no fixed telephone lines, therefore no credit cards or internet connections. There are no power lines, therefore everything is generator power (when it goes off, there is no power). So don't complain when you can not use a credit card, or operate something requiring electricity after 10:00PM.

You can expect the following:
GREAT equipment
Exceptionally clean facilities
a comfortable bed
a well stocked store with any last minute items you may require
excellent overall value for your money
a paddling experience on the Borwron lake circuit that is truly unmatched!

Room Tip: The Kibbee Cabin sleeps 4-6 very comfortably
2 Thank Jonnycop
Kamloops, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Subject: Becker's Lodge Bowron Lake Adventures Resort
Location: Wells, Cariboo, British Columbia, Canada, North America
Title: Best place to stay before beginning the Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit
ID#: 138126303

Great cabins overlooking Bowron Lake. We stayed in the Frank Cushman Chalet I and it easily accommodated six of us and had a small fully outfitted kitchenette and bathroom. Lovely trees on property and views of the lake. Perfect place to stay the night before embarking on the amazing Bowron Lake Canoe Circuit trip and they offer canoe and canoe cart rentals as well as transport to and from the lake if needed. Excellent, efficient service from the owner and he spent time telling my husband all about the history of the area and his lodge (unlike some Trip Advisor reviews that said the owner was rude. He is just forthright and very busy.) Fantastic holiday cabin. Kathy Richins, Find Strength in Action Life Coaching

1 Thank KathyR333
North Vancouver
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

I highly recommend using another outfitter! The owner provided the worst customer service I have ever encountered. He was condescending, confrontative and unprofessional. Reservations had been made but he demanded payment in cash even though this had not been previously arranged and then charged an extra 5% for using credit. He provided an inferior product. Both kayak seats broke 2 days into the trip and our coats had to be rolled up to provide a backing. On return he accused us of breaking the seats even though it was obvious that they had been epoxy glued previously. His rude rants and horrible behaviour almost ruined a wonderful trip. He is not "the only show in town". Choose another outfitter.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends