“Great Stay, we will be back.”
Review of The Wells Hotel

The Wells Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Wells
Chilliwack, Canada
“Great Stay, we will be back.”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Loved the Wells hotel, set us back in time, the rooms are clean and quaint. Took a walk and enjoyed talking to the locals, very friendly. Would recommend to anyone. small, no tv's but that worked out well. My Niece was a little disappointed the hot tub was closed during our stay.

Room Tip: Corner suites are the largest
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Williams Lake, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed February 14, 2012

After reading some reviews from this page, I was a little apprehensive about the state of the room. We arrived in the afternoon and were pleasantly surprised to see a nice clean, renovated older hotel. Knowing that this is a heritage building, it was not a rundown, old feel. It felt like well kept antiques. The food was great, the little hotel shampoos, lotions etc. were awesome! Our snowmobile club showed up with 22 snowmobiles and people and were treated very well. The hotel was forwarned we were coming and brought in enough staff that we had early morning coffee - 6:00 am and no wait at dinner. It was a great place to stay. I would definately say 'Yes, stay there!'

Room Tip: Don't call late I ended up with the room with twin beds! haha
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Irene S
canada
Reviewed August 18, 2011

Overall an alright stay but the floors needed sweeping and it was way over priced for the town. The hubs is nicer and much cheaper

• Stayed August 2011
2 Thank jerryglenda
Kamloops, Canada
Reviewed June 16, 2011

My wife and daughter were visiting Barkerville as part of a multi-day school field trip. I decided to bring our young son up and join them. The Hub Motel was full so I decided to take a room at the Wells Hotel for the night. The room rate seemed a little high considering the size and lack of amenities but it was clean and cozy and central and it did have everything we needed. Fortunately, my son and I didn't have much luggage so the room size wasn't much of an issue. Breakfast was included so that was a bonus.

There was a light in the main room but it didn't work. The bathroom and bedside lights worked fine. In the morning while I was taking a shower, the bathroom light went out. We went down for breakfast at 7:20am but there was no one in sight. We waited around for a few minutes but it was clear that we were up long before the hotel staff. We ate breakfast at the restaurant down the road and when we came back, the front door was unlocked but there was still no one in sight. I left my key at the desk. I would have liked to have made the hotel staff aware but there was no one there. Maybe this is to be expected in a ghost town but Wells isn't really a ghost town.

My wife and daughter had a fine experience at the Hub Motel nearby. We've stayed at the St. George Hotel in Barkerville and had a wonderful experience. I should have stayed there again.

Overall, it wasn't a really bad experience at the Wells Hotel (we had a good sleep and that's really why we went to the hotel) but it was a bit disappointing because it didn't deliver what was promised.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank jeep_whisperer
American Fork, Utah
Reviewed September 6, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the Wells Hotel after our week-long canoe trip on Bowron Lakes. We had stayed at Hubs Motel a week earlier and were thrilled with our experience, but Hubs Motel was full when we returned, so we had to stay at the Wells Hotel.

The staff was friendly, but rushed. The room was disappointing: No TV, no mini-refrigerator. The room was small and cramped. The worst part was the cold shower! All we wanted after a week of camping was a hot shower - but no such luck... When we asked about the lack of a TV, they said it was a "heritage hotel" which apparently means lacking modern amenities.

I'm just being picky now, but the power outlets in the room were all located behind the bed, so we had to move the bed in order to plug in our laptop, charge cell phones/cameras, etc. Not the end of the world - just inconvenient.

The their credit, they did have a hot tub outside (which we couldn't enjoy because we were sunburned), and the free wireless internet was quite fast. Also, the breakfast buffet was decent, considering it was free.

We ate dinner at the cafe in the hotel, and the staff was really struggling. Apparently a few staff members had recently quit, so they were understaffed. I felt bad for them - they tried hard to take care of all the customers, but consequently I was disappointed with the service. The food at the cafe was less than enjoyable. My meat-lover's pizza was disappointing - it would have been better if they'd just put in a frozen pizza.

The Wells Hotel cost 25% more than I'd paid at Hubs Motel, and it lacked the basic comforts and amenities I had expected. I would definitely recommend staying at Hubs Motel instead.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank BlazeBoy2000

Travelers are raving about these Wells hotels

Burnaby, Canada
Reviewed July 16, 2010

We stayed at the Wells Hotel for 3 night while we were exploring Barkerville. We were not disappointed! The breakfast bufffet itself was absolutely AMAZING...I've never had a continental breakfast that good! We're taking lots of cereal, pancakes, french toast, eggs, bacon, ham, fruit, muffins, milk, tea, coffee, and juices. The room was pretty small, but the beds were very comfy. The staff was very nice and the resturant was very good....it took sooooooo long for our food to come-but when it did it was delicious. The only complaint I have is the showers....they were faced towards the door, so when you opened it water would go all over the floor....and when our neighbour was showering our shower would go down to a trickle. Hot tub was a basic hot tub....we didn't try it because it was soooo hot when we went! There is also a nice sitting area downstairs with books and games....we brought a game up to our room every night and every night was a family game night :)

I definitely recommend staying at the Wells hotel rather than staying at Barkerville. The city of Wells in itself is very cute, and it's to walk around in the evening. If you have the time...go into the Wells musuem. It is very small and doesn't take very long, but admission is by donation and a lot of heart has gone into maintaining those artifacts.

At Barkerville, make sure you do the Stagecoach ride, and reserve early! The first reservation gets a choice of where they sit, and we got to sit and talk to the driver! Also, if you have time, (and the money!) take the coach ride up to Richfield to see Judge Begbie, rather than walking. The walk is long, and it was fun talking to everyone in the coach. Also, try to go for a lesson in the schoolhouse. Our teacher was very funny, and made the women were bonnets, and everyone sing at the end. It was one of the highlights of Barkerville. For food at Barkerville, I recommend the Chinese Resturant there, the Long Duck Tong Resturant. We enjoyed it so much we went there again, and the bakery has delicious baked treats.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Caribby96
Prince George BC
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Greetings! My husband and I are pleased to have had a wonderful wedding experience in the Wells/Barkerville community. Our wedding itself was in Barkerville (yes in February!) and our accommodations were at the Wells Hotel in Wells. Danielle; the manager of the hotel, is a fantastic host and she and her staff are top drawer. The dining room and the pub were fabulous fun. The food and the bar service, as well as the hospitality, could not have been better. We booked all of the rooms in the hotel and had the place to ourselves for two amazing nights! We all enjoyed the outdoor hot tub and even the children that accompanied their parents were happy and entertained. There is a lovely games area by a beautiful wood burning fireplace next to the lobby that was a gathering place for the young folk and they never felt left out. Our rooms were extremely clean and the travel back in time added immensely to our fun. As a mature wedding couple, my husband and I will always remember our wedding with fondness and will forever be appreciative of the kindness and attention to detail that the Wells Hotel paid to us and our guests. Everything; that is absolutely everything, was fantastic!! I highly recommend this facility for any event where you are looking for a quaint, comfortable, clean and easy going atmosphere. Hugs to all of our new friends in Wells - Martin and Jacquie

• Stayed February 2010