“Super friendly”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Wells
Chilliwack, Canada
“Super friendly”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

There isn't much to choose from in Wells but this place is clean and comfortable and the owners are super friendly. Huge selection of family friendly dvd movies are available to borrow free of charge plus free wifi. Try the salmon at the fish and chip trailer on-site. Wells is a real little gem of a town and a good place to stay if you are heading to Barkerville for the day or planning to head out on the Bowron circuit

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Chilliwack, Canada
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Dianne Andreesen is such a kind and gracious host. Her cookies delicious and I finally got to watch 'Avatar' with my daughters while staying there (they were bugging me for years to watch it). The location was great as we were spending a full day at Barkerville. The room was certainly spacious and comfortable with Dianne attending to all of our needs. It is a good central location in Wells. Big H has voluminous and delectable fish and chips - thanks for that Harald and Thanks for the enjoyable experience folks - will come again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Burnaby, BC
Reviewed August 24, 2012

Hubs Motel is a very clean, basic motel with a great host and awesome value for money. We couldn't have been happier with the location. We were travelling with our dog which was as welcome as we were. The room had a comfortable bed, tub/shower and fridge as well as a flat screen TV (with limited channels, but the owner has a library of hundreds of DVDs which can be borrowed free of charge). All that is secondary, of course, to the magnificent natural surroundings with activities suitable for every outdoor taste. There are lots of beautiful places to walk in the immediate vicinity and only a short 7km drive (or cycle) into Barkerville. This property is also within walking distance to several art galleries and eating options. We'll be back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

If you're the type that needs a valet service and caviar then you won't agree with the 5 star rating; however, if you want a really clean room, great value and the most friendly owners you'll ever meet, then this is worth checking out. Our room had a remote control fireplace, flat screen TV and a DVD player, and if that isn't enough, Dianne made fresh cookies everyday for the guests. Also, if you're lucky enough to visit on "Fish and chips night" I would suggest you have some: delicious and fresh.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KS080
White Rock, Canada
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed here twice this summer... And its just always and excellent place to hang your hat when in the Cariboo. The rooms are always clean, the staff is always great and warm cookies are fabulous! There's a certain joy permeating from the Hubs... I get the sense that it comes from both the staff and the guests... everyone seems to be having a swell time. Also, must recommend Big H's Fish and Chip Trailer, on the premises. Outstanding halibut and prawns. Definitely the best value in town. This trip I had friends who were staying in another local spot, it was kinda the opposite of here... won't name names, but will definitely never stay there. Also, the Hubs staff mentioned a poor review they had received... I read it and couldn't believe it. Did the guy have the right place? Sure the mosquitoes can be challenging, but that's just part of the local charm and think the mangers of the hotel can't really control the reproductive cycle of bugs... Sheesh!

Room Tip: Excellent selection of dvd movies, best selected in the afternoon. The cookies are good anytime!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TMBrown_12
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed at Hubs before and after our kayaking/canoe trip to Bowron Lakes, and also explored Barkerville. The room was average at Hubs, but the service was exceptional! We also chose this property because of the reviews on tripadvisor, and were happy we did. The staff were amazing, the free DVD rentals were a bonus, and the cookies were great - especially as they were still warm from the oven! We also utilized the outdoor ping-pong table which was fun!

I would recommend the Wells Hotel for breakfast - for $8.99 you can have a continental (and decent!) breakfast, including drinks/coffee.

Otherwise, there is not TOO much to do in Wells. Check out the various art shops/galleries, and have some eats at the Bear Paw too. Oh, and engage the locals - they're a wealth of info and very pleasant!

Overall, a great stay! Thanks Hubs!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed August 9, 2012

What a friendly place to stay. I chose it because of other reviews on Trip Advisor, and I'm glad I did. I'm assuming most folks staying here, like me, do so because it's near the gold rush town of Barkerville, just five miles away at the end of BC Highway 26. This is another family-run motel that was built many years ago, but it has been very well maintained

I was there before 11 a.m. and stopped to complete the check-in process before heading into Barkerville, even though I wasn't expecting my room to be ready. However, it was ready, and I was able to put my bag inside. The room was clean, cozy and comfortable, with a decent-sized bathroom. Diane made me feel at home right away. The small office has a large supply of books and videos free for the borrowing, and a big plate of homemade cookies.

There's not much to Wells -- it's essentially a place to stay for those visiting Barkerville, where I very happily spent nine hours of the course of two days exploring every nook and cranny. The Hubs is definitely a good choice, and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again.

One FYI: I was not able to get cell phone reception in Wells, but that's apparently the norm. I like to check in with my 79-year-old mom every couple of days while I'm on the road to make sure everything is good with her. Diane told me it was only 35 cents a minute for long-distance calls (mine was to Seattle). So I did make a quick call (and I would have made that call no matter what the price was). When I went to check out the next morning, I asked how much the call was so I could pay her for it. She said, 'Oh, I looked, and it was only 60 cents. Don't worry about it -- enjoy the rest of your trip.'

For me, that's the kind of thing that wins my loyalty -- and kudos on Trip Advisor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo