Tripadvisor
Saturna Island
All reviews tables and chairs ferry terminal beautiful island tents outhouse shower arbutus docks noise
Selected filters
Reviewed July 25, 2019

I just came back from Saturna...my first visit. I stayed for 3 nights in a walled canvas tent with a private deck and nice view of the surroundings..which does include the dock below for people who come to moor or visit the pub/ restaurant etc. Be aware you are in the heart of the action as the ferry comes in at this location which the campground is close to...a sea plane or two will arrive in the morning 7-8'ish to bring in fishers etc for charters....but if you can handle local action then this is a well kept, clean campground with a good shower with plenty of hot water and a cleverly decorated toilet facility (yes it is an outhouse) but kept scrupuously clean etc. I had a perfectly agreeable time on the island and definitely will return. Denise who took care of things was thorough and forthwith regarding any concerns or questions. Bear
in mind you are on a tiny island with approx 300 full time residents...many people do double duty for work. I did not frequent the local pub as I don't drink alcohol and prefer my own cooking but I have heard from others it is worth the visit. Definitely recommended...by me.

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
dmdean, Manager at Arbutus Point Campground, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2019

Thank you for your thoughtful review. The reviewer is accurate in his summation of the campgrounds location. It is very close to the BC Ferry landing and the local government dock. The hub of our transportation center. This does make it ideal as a landing and jump off point as Saturna is only 12 square miles in size. I know the reviewer meant “bare in mind”, rather than Bear! It brings however bring to mind a question we are often asked. There are no bears, no cougars, no wolves on Saturna! Just lots of beautiful places to see.

Reviewed July 16, 2019

We have stayed at Arbutus Point Campground quite a few times and every visit has been excellent. It is exceptionally clean and tidy and has a very luxurious outhouse and shower room. There are beautiful Arbutus trees on the property and the campground is located on a cliff overlooking the ocean. They have added 2 canvas tents with decks and although they look nice, I have only utilized the tent sites. The campground is very nice but what we like best is the location. The ferry connections to Saturna are not as good as for other islands and we generally arrive at 10 pm which is too late to cycle to the backcountry campsite at the other end of the island. It is ideal to stay at Arbutus Point for the first night and after arriving by ferry, enjoy an evening on the deck of the oceanside pub which is a 2 minute walk away. Arbutus Point is also very close to the general store for groceries, delicious sandwiches, bakery items, delicious meals in the cafe and purchases of liquor. The owners are very nice and knowledgeable. Saturna is a beautiful island with great cycling opportunities.
I really don’t understand the 3 previous negative reviews. Perhaps they were from years ago. Because the ferry sometimes arrives late, people could be arriving to the campsite late but this has never been an issue. It is super easy to find, just past where the ferry docks. Other campers have always been friendly but this really is unrelated to a campsite review. The showers are truly the nicest I have ever seen at a campsite, clean and beautifully tiled. There is no dilapidated trailer or a couch. It is a very clean and tidy place with picnic tables, a communal wash up area and additional communal tables and chairs. Will I stay there again.....definitely, at least once a year. I love Saturna!

Date of stay: July 2019
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
dmdean, Manager at Arbutus Point Campground, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2019

Thank you for you very nice review. The owners are constantly making improvements and additions to the on site amenities. We appreciate visitors who love Saturna as much as we do!

Reviewed August 20, 2018

First of all, anyone who visit this campground needs to be aware that it is still in development; 2018 is the first full season that the campground has been open. The owner, Bob, is constantly making improvements.

This is definitely not a wilderness campground. It is, indeed, like camping in someone's backyard. However, the showers and pit toilet are kept exceptionally clean. There are glimpses of the ocean through the trees. There is a deck area with an outdoor sink for dish washing, and two large patio tables and chairs with a shade tent over top. It would be a good place to have dinner with a large group or a couple of families who are camped together. This is the kind of place where you come to rest your head at night and have access to all the essential services.

We camped here for four nights and used it as a jumping off point to do lots of hiking and exploring on Saturna. We didn't spend much time here during the day. There is no other car camping allowed on Saturna, so this was a welcome option for our travelling in our VW van.

It can be noisy, because the ferry and seaplane docks are just below the point where the campground sits. However, the noise doesn't last long. There are generally only a few cars getting on and off the ferry and it only leaves a couple of times a day. We heard one seaplane land and take off in our 5 days at the campground.

Overall, the owner went out of his way to make us feel welcome at the campground and on Saturna. He is developing a couple of new sites up the hill from the original campground with beautiful tent platforms that overlook the ocean, we will definitely come back to stay in these.

If you're looking for a place to just set up camp close to all the amenities and go off exploring for the day, arbutus point will work just fine.

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank macfysh
dmdean, Manager at Arbutus Point Campground, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2019

Thank you for your nice review. Our new wall tents are finished and available for rent. Glamping I believe it is called (yes it is a thing). The whole area has been tidied up and expanded. Amenities will continue to be added.

Reviewed June 30, 2018 via mobile

probably the worst campsite I have ever been to in my entire life. It is a parking lot that you cannot park your vehicle at. There’s enough room for a couple tents and the small picnic table that is on the small cube. It’s beside a pub that’s very loud past 11:00pm. There’s no fires period. Even with no fire bans. You’re wasting your time if you are here for camping.

Date of stay: July 2017
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Thank you for your review. You can compare Arbutus Point Campground to a back yard. But this is a back yard right next to the ocean, a large amount of amenities, such as kayak and bicycle rentals, food and drink, snacks and ice cream. Easy access to the ferry and a great jump off point to explore the trails, beaches and watch the wildlife from shore (including orcas). Our campsite has been updated and now includes wall tents with amazing views.

So yes, if you want wildresness camping this is not for you.

Reviewed August 3, 2017 via mobile

I booked for 5 days here online ($30/night - no hookups and no parking on sites). So I called the host about this and also to let them know we were delayed and will be arriving late (10:30pm). Well, we missed the campsite as the sign was a bit hidden and it was pitch black. So we drove a couple KMs to find the site again. We had to set up camp and really tried hard to be quiet, which was nearly impossible. We upset a lone woman camper next to us, and she chose to not talk to us the whole time we were there. There was only 10 tent sites with 10 picnic tables, and really it is designed for on foot hikers/tenters. It really looked like someones back yard, especially with some dilapidated trailer in front of us and the dirty old couch behind us (the hosts should remove it, it is unhygienic and looks awful). The showers are decent, it cost $2 for 4 minutes, and you have to get the tokens from the store by the pub. The kid that was minding the store gave me two tokens, turned out to be 1 token and 1 loonie (they look very similar), which in fact we only got one shower for $3. No matter how much the host glorified the pit toilet, it still is a pit toilet (and was out of toilet paper the first night we were there) and it had no light, so bring a flashlight so you can see where the abyss is. This campsite really is designed for on foot hikers/tenters. It has no hookups and no hot water taps. They do have a kitchen sink with a timed cold water tap. There is a little community patio with a couple tables and chairs with a faux bar. The shower takes about 1 1/2 minutes to get hot water and has no hooks or stools to put your clean clothes or toiletries. The hosts Bob and Carol were very friendly and resolved the 'no toilet paper' issue immediately, which was good.
If you have vision issues, the grounds are a bit confusing with all the leaves and the boulders marks the tent sites. We ended up cutting our stay to 2 days instead of 5, it was just a bit too much for me to navigate in. This campsite is priced too high for what it offers. Would I stay here again? NO. Would I come back to the island? YES, there are other AirBNB, B&Bs to stay in. But again, if you are on foot, hiking with a tent, it would be fine.

Date of stay: August 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank roses167

Thank you for your review. The trailer you have spoken of has been removed and the campsite has been expanded someway. Campsite are now clearly marked and we now have new wall tents which are better suited to less roughing it. Our website now has a site map and more photos. We hope you will come back to Saturna again, even if it is your choice not to stay at Arbutus Point Campground.