“Food Made With Care”

True Grain Bread
Ranked #1 of 1 Bakeries in Cowichan Bay
Cuisines: Healthy, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Cash Only, Digital Payments, Seating, Street Parking, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: True Grain Bread is an old world-inspired European bakery specializing in "modern wheat free" ancient grains. We bake everything on site from scratch using primarily organic ingredients. Everything is hand-crafted and all of the bread is baked freshly every day.
Victoria, Canada
“Food Made With Care”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

What a charming bakery. Now I know what foodies mean when they refer to "artisan." This place truly is a gallery of art that you can eat. Each bakery product is hand crafted, made with organic and carefully selected ingredients, and made with care. No factory made, bleached out, gluey, JUNK FOOD BREAD here.

Is it pricey? Yeah. But for a treat or to pair with some nice cheese you splurged on (from Hilary's Cheese next door..? I admit I did this) it is well worth it.

The staff is friendly and super knowledgeable! I had questions on the different loaf types and the women helping me was answering my questions and giving me an educational history of some of the grains/flours they use. Impressive!

I got some cookies in addition to my loaf. They are MASSIVE and fresh and moist and really, the only word for them is: OMG.

Very cute. Worth stopping in if you are in the area. Maybe even worth making a special trip for if you're up for a drive. Definitely will be back when I'm up there.

• Visited January 2014

“Nice bakery in this quaint little town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Stopped here for an afternoon snack, the cinnamon buns were big and quite good! They also had a non-wheat based pasta that I bought to try out. Lots of different fresh breads and baked goods to chose from.

• Visited October 2013
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Bread Heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We always stop here for bread supplies when we're travelling on the Island. I have a wheat sensitivity and this bakery provides lots of great options for me. This time I got a loaf of kamut with pumpkin seeds and a 100% whole rye--both delicious but the kamut was especially moist and yummy. It's hard to restrain yourself from eating too much at a sitting. Try toasting either and drizzling with some good quality olive oil. On our trip back to Victoria for our return flight, we stopped in to get another loaf of the kamut to take on the plane. I'm savouring every mouthful as I dream of having the bakery closer to home (Richmond Hill). My husband also had a hankering for one of their pumpkin spice cookies--soft, chewy and not too guilt-inducing! If you love bread, you'll love True Grain.

• Visited October 2013
Maple Ridge, Canada
“Fabulous bakery!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

There were so many yummy things here, it was hard to choose!
It was a very busy spot for obvious reasons...people coming in and buying fresh baked goods to take home. There were about 6 tables, constantly filling and emptying, then filling again while we were there. Highly recommended!

Visited September 2013
Hamilton, Canada
“Yummy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Excellent spelt cookies which we shared with our friends in Cumberland. The cookies were a substantial size at a reasonable price. We would recommend purchasing your baked goods at this location .

Visited September 2013