“very quaint and tasty”

Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Takeout
White Rock, Canada
“very quaint and tasty”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

well priced, quaint spot in town. It has a nice little area out front with fantastic sunsets as well.

Visited May 2013

Portland, Oregon
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Food and Friendly People”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I spent about a week in Powell River late May 2013. Unfortunately it was the premature end of a kayak expedition. I found Costa del Sol on my first day and decided to eat at Costa del Sol that night.

I lived in Mexico in 1981-82 and became quite fond of the Pollo en Mole and a local drink called Pozole. I was delighted to find the Costa del Sol menu had Enmoladas which are chicken enchiladas prepare with a Mole sauce. I found the Enmoladas to be perfect. They were so good I decided to return the next night. The next night I had fish tacos and Spot Prawn tacos and again the spicing, flavors, presentation and sides were all spot on. Day after day I tried a new menu item and found it exactly as it should be flavors were well balanced, spicing was right, and each dish was presented properly. The wet burrito was terrific with the pork cook slow releasing the collagen giving the meat the just right mouth feel and texture. And again spicing and presentation was spot on. Over the course of my visit I ate the following tacos, comidas and postres: Southern Wet Pork Burrito, The Maverick, Tacos del Mar Fish, Tacos del Mar Prawn , Enchiladas de Pollo, Enmoladas, Key lime Pie , and Traditional Mexican Flan.

Postres were equally good but I was partial to the Key Lime Pie so I had it all but one night. The coffee was fresh made in a French Press pot and so quality was top notch, no stale coffee here. I freely admit to being a coffee snob.

Drink specials are available each night and were well prepared and reasonably priced.

I am outgoing and gregarious so I quickly became friendly with the staff and the chef Michael Salome. The place is very small with a small galley kitchen but everything in the kitchen has a place and everything is in its place. The result is it runs like a well-oiled Swiss clock. Orders are processed quickly. The cook staff is experienced and since you can see them working it is easy to see that they all know their jobs and execute them.

The table staff is no less experienced and while I was there one of the young woman wait staff was new. Regardless she handled the tables and guests as if she had been there for years. Both she and her more senior coworker were a pleasure. Shield your eyes the servers both have thousand watt smiles. Michael and his wife have been able to hire top notch employees from the admittedly small pool available in the small town of Powell River. Either that or everyone in Powell River is an above average worker.

I would not hesitate to eat anything off the menu at Costa del Sol. Michael has a deft hand with flavors, spicing, side pairing and presentation. Everything he does will be top quality with the highest quality local ingredients. Expand your palate and try something new you won’t regret it. The best advert I could imagine was when one of the young male cooks came in with friends on his night off for a bite to eat.

One final word about Powell River, I was pleased that the people were unfailingly friendly and helpful. The town has a very nice local brewery and a number of quite good restaurants. It might be off the beaten path but it really is worth a look and while you are there you must eat at Costa del Sol.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mark S S
Pow_Town_Sar, Owner at Costa del Sol Latin Cuisine, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Hi Mark,
Thank you so much for your kind words. They really mean a lot especially to Michael!!! We are so glad you had the opportunity to try so many things when you were here and that you enjoyed them all! I am sorry I didnt get the chance to meet you but am grateful you were so well taken care of! I know Mike really enjoyed hearing about your journey and some simple advice. He wanted me to let you know we did have a girl :)

Thank you also for your kind words about Powell River - there are so many great things about this town and we are happy you found most of them ;)!!

All the best in the future and maybe we will see you make it to your destination next time! Although we were selfishly happy we got to have you as a guest for that week.

Kindest Regards,

Sarah, Mike and the Costa del Sol Team
Vancouver, Canada
“Hot and comfort food all around!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I have been to this restaurant twice and every time I have been it just gets better and better. The Nacho's are fantastic as they served it hot and crispy on a steel iron pan. Add guacamole to that and you're in for a treat. You have got to try their Maverick, if you haven't already. The service is great, and the food came out fast, but delicious at the same time. It's located on the main street, so parking I found was an issue. But my whole experience there was made up by the delicious food and friendly service.

• Visited April 2013
Victoria, Canada
“Good food, friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We had a pleasant experience here. The food was well prepared and the service pretty good. Prices seemed quite reasonable.

• Visited May 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Warm, friendly place with great food”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Charming little restaurant... We arrived here after being turned away, somewhat rudely, by the Curry Hut nearby due to a lack of a reservation (on a Wednesday night in the off season??)...Welcomed very warmly and seated by the window (amazing how a friendly smile and welcoming attitude can do wonders). We had the nachos with guacamole to start followed by the prawn salad for me and the fish tacos for my partner. No dessert in that the portions were plentiful. All in all a welcoming, bright and friendly place.

Visited April 2013