“Always Excellent”

Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2013

A great meal is pretty much a sure thing when you eat at the Alchemist. The dining room is cozy and intimate making it the perfect date night. The menu changes seasonally and the food is prepared to order. Quality is usually excellent. Occasionally, service can be a bit slow, but I think most people are there for an enjoyable evening and aren't in a rush. I highly recommend.

Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

I have been here multiple times while in town on business. I love European influence and their menu does not disappoint. I have tried basically every appetizer from both their summer and winter menus. I have yet to be disappointed. If you are there with a group you cannot go wrong by ordering a variety of appies for the table. Most come in small or large sizes allowing for variety if that's something you like, which I very much do. Overall I think this restaurant could compete with many of the high end restaurant a in Vancouver. An unexpected gem in a remote place like Powell River! Great for business travellers in a group or on your own. Would be especially nice for a romantic date night or to celebrate a special occasion. No question - I will be back!

1  Thank Skd1978
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My family went there for a birthday and we really enjoyed our meals. Not as outstanding as I had expected, but very good nonetheless. It was early evening and the place was almost empty. However the waitress and one patron at a table carried on a really loud conversation between them and we found it quite distracting. Otherwise, great service, good quality food, nice atmosphere. I would recommend it.

1  Thank Ann S
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Beautifully presented and perfectly prepared dishes in a Paris meets Powell River setting makes The Alchemist a perfect choice for a romantic dinner or a friendly gathering.

Reviewed June 1, 2013

We were in Powell River on our trip up the sunshine coast and over to Vancouver Island. This restaurant was recommended by the owner of the hotel we stayed in. We didn't have high expectations in a small place like Powell River. Wow, were we surprised! This place was far better than any of the restaurants we tried later in Victoria. The choice of small or large portion is great. I'm not a big eater so it nice to try a small salad before my main course. The salad was so good and very different with marscapone cheese. Then I had the paella. So much seafood with a wonderful sauce and not with ordinary rice, made for a a very tasty dish. Hubby had the mussels and raved about them. he followed that up with the fish which was perfectly cooked.

Found the prices reasonable for such great food. Chef should be very proud. It was a far superior meal to a similar restaurant in Victoria that charged far more.

1  Thank bjay3