“5 star dining in a small town”
Review of Alchemist - CLOSED

Alchemist
Cuisines: French, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Galiano Island, Canada
“5 star dining in a small town”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

this is the best restaurant in Powell River - pehaps the best on the entire Sunshine Coast (this includes Gibsons and Sechelt). The food is excellent and the service attentive and pleasant. The view from the deck is stunning. The wine list well chosen. The only complaint is the limited open hours - no Sundays or Mondays, which are the days you need a fine dining experience.

Visited April 2012

Powell River, Canada
“A Fantastic Experience Everytime!”
Reviewed March 31, 2012

We've visited the Alchemist many times. It is by far the best restaurant in Powell River. The ambience is perfect and the food is amazing. There isn't one thing on the menu I wouldn't love to try, and everything my husband and I have tried so far has been delicious. We've been back for the cheese fondu several times, it is such a treat! Last night I tried the prawns and scallops and I'm still dreaming about them. We are just so grateful to have a restaurant like this in Powell River. I'd recommend it highly to anyone and everyone!

• Visited March 2012
Vancouver
“Always great food!”
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We went to the Alchemist in early Feb and greatly enjoyed their dinner. They have a good selection of food and it always tastes wonderful!

This is one of our go to restaurants for a higher end meal when we are in town.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank VancouverScamp
Powell River, Canada
“disappointing”
Reviewed January 24, 2012

We went out with my husband to the Alchemist hoping to have a nice experience. We were very disappointed. First of all, the atmosphere was quite cold. We had no room to move around on our table, which doesn't have any table cloth by the way. We ordered some pâté for starters and the taste was pretty flat but this was the best course. The duck confit was overly salted and the meat dry. To finish, the profiterolles had very hard ice cream (it's supposed to be soft and melting under hot chocolate sauce), the choux were stale and the chocolate hard and cold like it had spent 2 days in the fridge! I would have liked to have a glass of champagne with my dessert but this wasn't on the menu. The only sparling wine was a very cheap overly sweet sparkling wine... 150 $ later...
Oh well, never again! I am surprised by the other reviews. Were we very unlucky that day or do other patrons don't know better? I am french, but I am not ''picky" this is just a rip off, period!

• Visited January 2012
3 Thank ryanandbarb
“Excellent food”
Reviewed January 14, 2012

salad delicious. Lamb: excellent presentation; perfectly done. We attended for a family birthday celebration and the chef made to order one of the most exquisite cakes I have ever tasted.
Despite troubles with an oven on the night we were there (which meant the pear tart was unavailable), our table of 14 received excellent service.

• Visited January 2012