The Old Courthouse Inn
Town Centre Hotel(Powell River)
$116
$93
Westview Centre Motel(Powell River)
$55
Marland Motel(Powell River)
$51
$48
Hotels.com
Rodmay Heritage Hotel(Powell River)
$61
Priceline
$117
$113
Hotels.com
The Villas at Crown Isle Resort(Courtenay)(Great Value!)
$140
$135
Travelocity
Port Augusta Inn and Suites(Comox)(Great Value!)
$68
$218
$212
Hotels.com
All reviewspolice stationunique hotelflannel sheetsincluded breakfasta great stayinteresting artifactsdecorated with antiqueslocal historystep back in timehot breakfastold buildingincluded in the pricevintage itemshistoric charmeggs benedicthistoric areasunshine coast
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 11, 2012

I enjoy coming to the Old Courthouse Inn. I usually stay there, catch a movie at the Patricia Theatre (Oldest operating theater in Canada) kitty corner to it and then wander down to the Townsite Brewery (built in an old bank) across the street for my growler of IPA or Porter. The rooms here are all unique - no stodgy cookie cutter décor, each room ( I have stayed in them all now) is unique and charming. I love walking up to the lake or over to the river (the second shortest in the world by the way) and it is always wonderful to return here after hiking the Sunshine Coast trail. Last summer we took sailing lessons on the lake and then got to go with people we met on their 38 foot yacht up Desolation Sound. It was amazing watching the eagles diving in for supper. Last stay the deer were eating the flowers around the hotel – Lil calls her garden boxes deer feeders and does not seem to mind that they ravage her hard work.

Room Tip: this is in the old townsite and is next to one of the oldest operating papermills on the coast. Drop down and sign up for a tour of the mill - it is just down the hill
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 9, 2012

Every room is a different antique theme in this heritage hotel.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

This hotel is located in the old part of Powell River, the decor is great with lots of antiques and interesting things to see. Breakfast is good too, help yourself to toast and cereal (or even eggs) in the kitchen downstairs which has a 50's theme. A good restaurant nearby is the shinglemill. We would definitely call back again.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 21, 2011

We stayed at the Old Courthouse Inn for a week. The room was very comfortable and Lilia (owner) was fantastic. Breakfast is provided, and laundry facilities are super. Would highly recommend this place if you are looking to be in Historic Townsite of Powell River. Many thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 24, 2011

(We actually stayed at The Old Courthouse Inn in Feb of 2010. That date was not an option on the pull down menu.)
I decided to take my husband for a holiday at home. I planned it for Valentine's Day weekend and based it on staying at the Courthouse Inn. I decided that we would not leave the Townsite for anything during the weekend as everything we could possibly need was right there. So, I booked the room with Lilia (one half of the owners). I wanted to have the kingsize bed room but, it wasn't available. Not to be detered in my plan, I settled for the next best room. All the rooms are wonderfully appointed with treasured retro furnishings lovingly collected by Lilia. When we arrived on Saturday to go to our room, Lilia informed us that - lo and behold - the king size bed room was now available and was ours for the weekend. Happily we followed her to the room and got ourselves settled in. The Inn has a restaurant as part of the building but, for the Saturday night we went across the street to The Granada restaurant for dinner. Then we came back to our room and watched TV for a while. The bed was marvelous and the room was spotless.

I had booked reservations for the Valentine's Brunch in the restaurant - Manzanita - as they have the best Eggs Benedict in town and both my spouse and I love that particular dish. The difference at Manzanita is that you can get your Eggs Bennie with lox instead of ham and my hubby loves that the best. I on the other hand am a purest and they accomodated my preference with no problem. We enjoyed our brunch out on the deck - truly an amazing possibility in February ! ! ! It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day and it made for a magical meal.

The rest of the day was spent with friends on their boat which they dock at the Powell Lake Marina, beside the Shinglemill Restaurant. It is all part of the Historic Townsite also. I hadn't really planned where we were going to have dinner, thought we would go to the Shinglemill, but we shared the meal aboard our friend's boat.

The evening concluded with a movie at the Historic Patricia Theatre (the longest continually operating theatre in Canada) and then back to the Inn - virtually kitty-corner to each other. When we got back to the Inn, the second seating for the Valentine's Dinner was just coming to a close and we could hear Zia Salehian serenading the couples with his wonderful voice while Walter Martella accompanied him on keyboard. The jazz was koooool that evening. Once in our room, we found we were just a bit hungry and it was too late to go to the Granada, they were already closed. Sooooo, I went to the staff at Manzanita and asked if it would be possible for us to maybe, just perhaps, hopefully, order something to eat? Well, they were wonderful. They gave us the set menu for the evening and asked us to let them know our choices. I took it back to the room and hubby and I decided. When I went back to order, I said I could wait for it and take it back to the room myself. They said no way, they would deliver (there is no room service per se at this Inn - this is a separate restaurant that is run independently from the Inn). I was so very impressed with this generosity on their part. So, I returned to the room and set up a table for us to eat at.

When there was a knock at the door, I expected to see one of the waitresses from the restaurant. Instead, it was the restaurant owner and the head waitress, each bearing dishes for us PLUS a special dessert - Creme Brulee - just one (that was all that they had on hand it not being on the menu for that evening) for us to share with each other. I was overcome with the unexpected service which gave us such a sense of being special. It set the mood for the rest of the evening ;).

When we had checked in on the Saturday, Lilia had shown us the Kitchen/Breakfast Room that is at the end of the hall, across from our room. It has all the amenities and food, too. Supplies for making a quick breakie (eggs, toast, oranges, coffee/tea, etc.) all provided as part of the room charge. It is open all the time for the guests to avail themselves of if they need it. So, on the Monday, the last thing we did was make ourselves breakfast and hubby went off to work while I packed up and took everything back home.

It was a magical weekend in a magical place with fairies and angels sprinkling their pixie dust over us. What a treasure we have here in Powell River. If you ever have reason to come and visit this quaint city then be sure to plan to stay at the Old Courthouse Inn. And be sure to book at least one meal at Manzanita Restaurant. You will be impressed by both.

The room rates at the Inn are quite reasonable and, as I said, the rooms are spotless. Lilia and Ian run a first class place and are always willing to do whatever they can to make your stay one filled with joy and pleasure. I would recommend it to anyone - and do ! ! !

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple