“Strongly recommended!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Powell River Sea Kayak

Powell River Sea Kayak
Ranked #2 of 8 Tours in Powell River
More attraction details
Owner description: Specializing in Desolation Sound, British Columbia, where warm pacific waters teem with marine wildlife and the majestic coast mountains tower over idyllic islands. Join us at our uniquely wonderful eco-resort on an uninhabited island in the heart of Desolation and enjoy locally sourced foods, cozy comforts and a perfectly idyllic setting. Guided and non-guided packages available. Multi-day camping tours are another option for experiencing Desolation Sound or join one of our daily guided tours and whet your appetite for longer adventures. Kayak rentals are available for those seeking self-guided exploration. Snorkel with the STARS! in the unusually warm waters and experience colourful sea stars, sea cucumbers, spiny urchins and much more. Experience the adventure in Desolation!
Konstanz, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Strongly recommended!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

Together with a friend, I've been on a 6 day trip through Desolation Sound and into Toba Inlet. It was just awesome! Luckily we had perfect weather and so we could just enjoy the paddling and the wonderful scenery.
The booking in advance was very uncomplicated and I really appreciated that the trip was scheduled individually according to our wishes.
The pace during the trip itself was perfectly matched to the group. We could also decide as a group how far we would like to paddle on a single day.
The food was just incredible! Three delicious meals every day! Fresh seafood, fruits, vegetables, fresh baked brownies, two sorts of coffee,...
Our guide did not only do a fantastic job as a guide but also as an excellent cook.
In general the organization of the whole trip was just perfect and the PRSK staff is very friendly and helpful.
So if you like kayaking, camping...and of course eating, I can strongly recommend to use PRSK for such a trip. It's an experience you will most probably never forget.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Stefan H

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“An amazing adventure!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

I just returned from a kayaking experience with Powell River Sea Kayak (PRSK)…if you get a chance, don’t miss out! I am not an experienced kayaker, nor were others in my party (including an 11 year old girl). The pace of the trip was perfect. The kayaks (and all related equipment) were very good quality, instructions from the guide was very helpful and the food…oh the food was amazing…fresh, variety, homemade, abundant and tastefully presented (6 out of 5 stars – my nephew has a peanut allergy and our guide was fastidious about ensuring he was not exposed to peanut/nut products)! Adam runs a quality shop…well organized, personable, knows his product (ensuring he has quality equipment and guides so customers can focus on enjoying and immersing themselves in the beautiful environment) and provides excellent material to help you prepare for your trip. Our guide, Abby, was simply amazing! She knows, in the broader sense, the environment (geography, sea life, impact on First Nations people, historical aspects, folklore), not to mention she is a committed environmentalist! Beyond PRSK’s reach, the weather Gods were very generous and the hot sun and clear calm nights only made a great trip better! I will use PRSK again and encourage others interested in an amazing adventure to do the same. Adam and Abby, thank-you again!

Visited July 2012
2 Thank Connie L
Oakville, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First class kayak trip company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

Travelled in June with 2 girlfriends to desolation sound on a four day trip. Our guide was Abby and I can't say enough about her. She prepared amazing gourmet meals from scratch. There was no freeze dried food or anything from a can. We had avocado/veggie wraps made fresh for lunch, jambalaya for dinner, homemade granola squares for a snack and homemade salsa and crackers as an example! We had quality kayaks and Abby was extremely safety conscious. Desolation sound is spectacular in its beauty and has an interesting history. Saw lots of seals, bald eagles and starfish. We had amazing campsite. The trip was paced for us and we had lots of paddling but time for visiting in camp too! This is my second trip with the Powell river sea kayak company. Two years ago my husband and I did the one day paddle around the Copeland islands. Our guide on that trip was also excellent. This is a quality organization that provides a personal touch. I would highly recommend an excursion with this organization.

3 Thank travelbiggg
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“'Glamping' in the BC Wilderness”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

My son and I are experienced sea kayakers from Scotland. In the autumn of 2011 we started to think about a sea kayaking trip to Alaska or BC but our calendars only matched in the 3rd week of June 2012. At this time of year the weather in Alaska can still be unpredictable so we decided to concentrate on BC. The grey whale migrations are in April and October and the Orcas are most common in July and August as the salmon run so we decided that rather than using any of the outfitters in Johnstone Strait or West Vancouver Island we would towards the more reliable conditions of the Sunshine Coast and the scenery of Desolation Sound. Most outfitters do a very good job catering for people wanting a taste of kayaking or a family 'adventure' for 3 or 4 days. Powell River Sea Kayak offer all of these options but also cater for bigger trips and are able to tailor towards your specific requirements. I made all of the initial arrangements direct with the owner Adam Valance over the winter and by April we had settled on a 7 day trip in Desolation Sound area with the final itinerary to be decided upon according to the conditions when we arrived. Smaller outfitters normally publish a calendar of trips that you can join. If you book early with PRSK you can agree on what you want to do and when you would like to do it. You may book this as an exclusive trip (minimum group size 2) or you can ask Adam to offer places on the trip to others with similar experience, fitness and expectations. Being so early in the season there were no other takers so my son and I enjoyed a private trip.

When your trip is confirmed you will be sent a full list of everything that you need to take. For some time before the trip I had been watching the weather and water temperature reports for the area and based upon these we decided to take some extra cold weather paddling gear. This turned out to be a good idea.

I had read that the food provided was good but we were both blown away with quality and quantity of what we were offered. Our guide Abby is an exceptional camp chef. We had hot breakfasts, packed lunches, 3 course dinners and lots of snacks. I could hardly believe my eyes when one evening Abby unpacked an oven and started baking fresh fruit crumble!

Weather during our trip was mixed. We were soggy for a couple of days but spent pleasant evenings under the tarp playing scrabble around the campfire. Scenery was spectacular and we were able to change our plans at short notice to make the best use of tides and winds. Unfortunately the heavens opened on our 5th night and with a poor forecast for the following 2 days Abby suggested that we should head for home. We had already achieved everything that we had planned to do so the thought of a hot shower was too good to resist.

A couple of minor things would have made this a 5 star review:

All of PRSK's equipment is first class but their base consists of an office/shop/workshop. It would be great if these could be supplemented with changing rooms, lockers and showers.

I have been involved in adventure sports for many years and I understand that the question of refunds is a bit of a minefield. Sometimes clients misrepresent (or don't understand) their own requirements or fitness levels which can result in a request to cut short trips and a request for a refund when guides, equipment etc have already been committed to them for the planned period of their trip. In the French Alps (a very few) guides are known to push on despite their clients' wishes or the weather conditions just to ensure that they are paid the full amount. However in our case the trip was cut short at the sensible suggestion of our guide due to the weather forecast. Being the start of the season PRSK bookings were quiet and with a fleet of 70+ kayaks we were not compromising any other enquiries. In this case I believe that there should have been an automatic offer of cost adjustment. When asked Adam agreed to consider the request and in turn I asked for him to pass on any amount that he considered fair to our guide Abby.

I emphasise that the above points are minor and will happily use PRSK again, particularly if Abby and her great cooking are still available.

Visited June 2012