“Lovely spot”

Powell River Harbour Guesthouse
Powell River Harbour Guesthouse
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

As a respite from noisy overcrowded campsites we took a punt on this place and were more than pleasantly surprised. The private room with its own balcony overlooking the sea is lovely and very restful. The hostel isn't new or flash but it's spotlessly clean and well equipped.

Very handy for the ferry terminal and a short walk up to Powell River's main drag though in a more industrial location. Would happily return.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank glenclova

Reviewed July 8, 2013

The hostel is located near the ferry terminal to the islands and near the beach. Convenient location with a thai, japanese restaurants, liquor store and a pub nearby. We have a party of 7 on a sunshine coast holiday and we were given 2 Rooms which are large and clean. There is a nice, clean and large kitchen with necessary kitchen wares. We bought some food and had our dinner on the deck overlooking the ferry terminal and the beach and watched the sun set. We really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Seong F
Reviewed May 23, 2012

This place is really more like a hotel than a hostel.
It is located right by the water and the ferry (from Vancouver Island) and has a nice little patio to sit outside and enjoy the sunset over the Island.

The common room, which is nicely decorated and huge, was tidy and clean and the room was spacious and clean as well.
The price for the private room was good value (ca. $30 per person, icl. tax).

The only thing, or person rather, I have to criticize was the guy at the reception (I think it was the owner). First I thought that he was only joking with us but after our conversation ended with an obvious statement that he didn't like the German language which I consider an insult when you are from Germany and only trying to make some casual conversation (in english!) with a guy that is originally from Switzerland, I have to say that this is a bad first impression for your guests/customers that just arrived.

But apart from that (and maybe you are lucky enough not to ask the guy where he is from) I'd definitely recommend this place for staying.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms in that place, so I can only recommend to ask for a room t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank F S
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I often book a private room in a hostel to get better value than a motel and because I like the shared amenities like the kitchen, hang out areas and internet. But as often as not the shared amenities are dirty and run down.

But not this place! The room was basic but very clean and nice. But the kitchen, living room and deck really rocked -- super clean, very nicely equipped kitchen with utensils and pots and pans that were good quality, great deck overlooking the harbour and fast wifi which worked throughout the place.

And the location is perfect...just above the ferry from Vancouver Island and in the midst of the most interesting part of Powell River's commercial district.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank ddosdall
Reviewed September 11, 2011

I have travelled in England, Scotland, Canada, the United States, Mexico, Australia, New Zealand, Guatemala, and Costa Rica. This is the most comfortable and cleanest hostel I have ever stayed in... anywhere.

The hostel is very convenient - right across the street from the ferry terminal where ferries leave to Comox on Vancouver Island, and to Texada Island.

I stayed in the dorm which I was told was co-ed. I don't know if it is always co-ed but it was during my stay. To my surprise, I didn't mind it at all!

The dorm room held 4 double-tiered bunk beds which of metal with no springs so the beds didn't creak or make annoying noises when people moved about in them. It had huge horizontal lockers. The bed was provided with linen (sheet and bottom), pillow, and a duvet. The mattresses were very comfortable and I had no problem sleeping.

The kitchen and eating area is large and comfortable. Two fridges. A good selection of pots and pans and eating utensils are supplied.

There is a computer for free internet use for hostellers, albeit its connection speed is somewhat slow. There is also a large TV screen for viewing movies.

The deck outside is comfortable, with a picnic table and chairs of wood. It has a gorgeous view of the ocean and Vancouver Island beyond the ferry terminal.

On Saturday night, the bar above it was noisy until 1:00 am but I doubt a person would be able to hear it when the weather gets colder because the doors will probably be shut. The rest of my stay, the outside environment was quiet, except for traffic from the ferries but I didn't notice it much and it didn't affect my sleep. (I wear ear plugs.)

The owner is positively charming, fun, and helpful.

When I erroneously referred to it as a "youth" hostel, he said, "My hostel is for everyone, of any age." I loved that! I knew I had found the perfect hostel.

I would definitely recommend this hostel to anyone and everyone. I thoroughly enjoyed my 7-day stay and will return.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo