“ENJOYABLE STAY IN A FUNKY, HISTORIC B&B”
Review of Northland Lodge

Northland Lodge
St Paul MN
“ENJOYABLE STAY IN A FUNKY, HISTORIC B&B”
Reviewed June 25, 2009

My daughter, son in law and I stayed here for one night. My room was very large and could have slept 5-6; my daughter and son in law had a slightly smaller room. Both were clean and comfortable. The beds had great mattresses. The bathroom in my room was tiny w/ a stall shower and a toilet. A large person would have a difficult time of it. There is a sink in the room itself as well as a refrigerator, table and chairs, and access to a wonderful balcony I loved not having a tv, radio, etc in the room as I'm an avid reader and could indulge myself. Breakfast is light but tasty: Jeanne makes great muffins. An unexpected perk was the connection w/my hometown of St Paul MN USA. The lodge was built by the son of James J Hill who built the Great Northern RR and the Prince of Wales Hotel, also in Waterton. Hill and his family lived in St Paul in the late 1800s and early 1900s. Without a doubt, I felt very at home at Northland Lodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank nerosmama

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Berkeley Heights, New Jersey
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We stayed at the Northland Lodge in Waterton Lakes for four nights in September 2008. The B&B offers a large number of very disparate rooms, so you need to be precise on what you like so as not to be disappointed. We wanted quietness, and therefore booked a secluded room, even though it meant we had no view. The breakfast can get a bit crowded in the dining room, so we had it outside, despite the cold! The host is very friendly.

• Liked — The location
  • Disliked — The breakfasts are too light before a day's hike. Plan some extra food supplies!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Auburn, Washington
Reviewed September 23, 2008

Nice place at the edge of Waterton townsite. The lodge has 9 rooms, some with shared bath. Most rooms are on the small side for a hotel but clean and comfortable. Each room also has a small fridge and (mine at least) has a small heater. The lodge has a common area with a television, a small movie library, a small book library, couches and dining tables. During the warm sunny days - sit around at the balcony. The lodge also has free wifi.

The proprietor (Jeanne) is a really nice lady; very familiar with all the attractions on the park. She has good recommendations for all kinds of hiking trails (Waterton is a hikers' park - mind you).

Every morning, coffee, tea and muffins are served in the common area. The muffins are baked on premise by Jeanne - and they're good! Don't forget to liberally slather the muffins with saskatoon spread. This spread is really big here - made from saskatoon berries - and yes - the hype is warranted.

The clientele are pretty cosmopolitan. During my stay, they had patrons from US (Texas), Toronto, Spain, Netherlands and Belgium. Jeanne also encourages interaction between guest during the breakfast hours without being intrusive. It makes the stay experience bed-and-breakfast like.

The drawbacks (for some people) are the room size and lack of in-room TV and phone. But really - at Waterton, days need to be spent on the trails and nights are for total rest.

The lodge overlooks the townsite campground grassy areas which is frequented by deers. There are so many of them here. The deers very often came up to the lodge yards, eating grass and the vegetation.

On the 2nd evening that I spent there - there was a big brown bear ambling across the lodge and went straight to the grassy area of the campground. The bear moved north to south and grazing on the grass, oblivious to the surrounding.

• Liked — Very clean, great host, good breakfast
  • Disliked — Smaller-sized room
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
2 Thank r0m8470
California
Reviewed September 20, 2008

We had been camping for 5 days in Glacier and wanted to find a nice B&B for a "break". We stopped at the Waterton Visitors center and they told us about a number of places and to look for "vacancies". Found Northland, had vacancy and asked for a tour. Great host(thanks Jeanne), great ambience and great home made muffins with home made Saskatoon jam with excellent coffee and OJ in the morning. FYI.....we did "some mores" at the fire place that night and traded stories with guests! Had a great hike the next day right out the back door and hated to leave. Also, loved the lavendar ironed sheets.

• Liked — location, ambience, friendliness hitory
  • Disliked — Not much of anything.......liked it all.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 6, 2008

Waterton offers a number of places to stay, and from what I could tell, none of them were elite-class. That having been said, Northland Lodge would be my choice when I return. The reason why for me would be the manager of the lodge, Jeanne. She really helped us out and our stay in Waterton would not have been as satisfying if it wasn't for her.

The lodge: It is easy to locate when you drive into town. It is within walking distance of the center of town. The rooms are comfortable and clean. We did not have breakfast there, so I can't comment on the quality of the offerings. The bed was was adequate. The linens and the towels were very clean. There is a small fridge in the room and a table and two chairs. It was very quiet and we had no problems getting to sleep. The only downside to the room was that it was a bit drafty when the wind was blowing hard, but there was an extra blanket, and in any case we didn't use it.

About Jeanne: this lady helped us out when she didn't have to. Northland Lodge only had a room available for two nights, and we were staying in Waterton for three. Jeanne was able to book us a room at another lodge for the remaining night and get us dinner reservations for all three nights at the Kilmorey Lodge. This took all the stress out of our stay while we were there. And the main reason I am writing this review is so that people know what a great hostess she was. She gave us tips on where to hike and knew about the trail ride that were were going on. She said that the outfit was good and she was spot on. The ride was a great time. Jeanne is the person you always hope to encounter on your travels.

Overall, I would recommend the Northland Lodge highly. Don't expect the Four Seasons, but do expect a staff that cares about you and will go out of their way to help you have a great time in Waterton.

• Liked — Staff
  • Disliked — A bit drafty, and the outside door wasn't so secure, but hey, it's Canada.
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank urabus63
Midlothian, Virginia
Reviewed July 25, 2008

First, I have to say that I screwed up big time. I made a reservation at another lodge in Waterton, but they only had one night available, so I needed another night at another lodge. I emailed Northland and they were quite accommodating (we were planning two nights in Waterton in conjunction with our 5 nights in various spots around Glacier National Park). It dawned on me a couple of days before our arrival that I had reserved our room for the wrong night! I called and luckily Jeanne told me that, despite being full for the rest of the month, it would be no problem to switch dates and keep the same room.

It turns out Jeanne is not the regular manager, but maybe she should be. She is the most cordial, pleasant, accommodating, and just plain nice person we met on our trip. After only one night there, we felt that she was like a member of the family. (Imagine hugging any other hotelier goodbye after a one-night stay!)

The room (#2) was quite comfortable for the 3 of us. In particular, it and Room #1 both have a spectacular sunset view of a nearby mountain peak from the balcony outside the 2nd floor rooms. There's a small refrigerator in the room, as well as a ceiling fan. Although there is no air conditioner, we found there was no need. The shower stall, however, was a bit cramped for the men in our party (6-ft+) and the bathroom in which it is located has a very low doorframe, so DUCK as you enter. An exhaust fan in the bath would have been nice, too, but it was a minor detraction.

Waterton is overrun with very tame deer. It is also grizzly and mountain lion country, so I was reluctant to walk down to the car at night without a flashlight. I heard from another guest that a bear walked by the lodge during breakfast.

The breakfast, served in the lobby/living room is very nice. Fresh-baked fruit/bran muffins (ask for the recipe!) with Saskatoon Berry Jam (or was it preserves?) with coffee and juice was wonderful. Equally enjoyable were the other guests who joined us for breakfast, including a couple from Scotland, an English couple, a North Carolina family, etc.

Jeanne recommended that we eat at the Kilmorey Lodge (serving dinner in the lounge until 10 PM) since the other places in town are inconsistent. We ate in the lounge there two nights and were very pleased. We had great meals and the lounge was cozy and intimate. Both nights we struck up extended and entertaining conversations with other diners, much as I would expect to occur in a UK pub.

Because we had been so isolated (via cell and email) during our trip to Glacier/Waterton, Jeanne gave us access to her wireless internet connection, which allowed us to check in on my mom in the hospital back home. This was a HUGE help, and I am very grateful for the favor.

• Liked — The view and the lady who ran the place
  • Disliked — Small shower stall and low doorframe into bathroom
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank doodleysquat
new hampshire
Reviewed June 15, 2008

Waterton is lovely and so is the Northland Lodge. Nestled in the hill next to the the Cameron Falls it is quiet and clean and very friendly.It so reminded me of all my stays at B&B's while in the British Isles. It is a short walk to town and other hikes right from their door.

• Stayed June 2008
#1 of 8 in Waterton Lakes National Park
Rocky Ridge Country Lodge
Rocky Ridge Country Lodge
#1 of 2 in Mountain View

Been to Northland Lodge? Share your experiences!