“Surprisingly nice”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Waterton Lakes National Park
Bear Mountain Motel
Reviewed August 7, 2011

I was actually looking for a hostel or guesthouse but there was no real budget accommodation in Waterton this summer.
The Bear Mountain Motel was the most affordable place to stay. Although on the outside not too appealing on the inside the motel room was surprisingly nice and cosy. The deer’s walking outside in Waterton gave a nice wildlife view from the room. The room was very clean without getting 'sterile' and the mattress I slept on was that good I even informed about the brand before leaving (planning to buy one at home.)
All together an very nice stay and I slept like a baby after a few nights in hostels…

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed at the Bear Mountain for several nights during this year's Waterton Wildflower Festival. As others have noted, it's an older motel and the rooms are pretty basic and on the small side. One had to maneuver around the toilet to get into the "vintage" metal shower stall (I understand these are being replaced with newer, larger showers). But the room was spotless, the bed was very comfortable and the rates very reasonable for a mountain resort town. There was a fully-equipped kitchenette in the room, with a cook top and under-the-counter fridge unit that was quite handy.

I was in an end-unit with quiet neighbours, so I didn't experience any problem with noise that others have reported. Waterton is pretty quiet, so there was virtually no street noise. The ladies at the front desk were friendly and helpful, and there's always a pot of coffee on. This was the second time I've stayed at the Bear Mountain, and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. In short, it's a great place to stay if you're on a budget and want to experience Waterton Lakes National Park.

Note: the free Wi-Fi was spotty, but probably because my room was one of the farthest from the office. I just grabbed one of the chairs outside the front desk and I was fine.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank eurobago99
Reviewed August 5, 2011

They try to scare you into not staying there on their website, but the rooms are not as small as advertised.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NCSLM
Reviewed August 2, 2011

In the USA I generally stay at Marriotts. I can be a bit of a hotel snob. The Bear Mountain is NOT a Marriott and if you check out the website, there is no claim to 5 star status. It is an old motor lodge and I loved it. Some previous posters come here expecting a 3-5 star hotel experience and I after reading the website, I came expecting a clean, comfortable, no frills room inside a national park. It was exactly as advertised. Which I appreciate. It was fully booked, yet quiet the nights I was there. I very much enjoyed the experience.

-Karsten

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank WorldwideHotelsnob
Reviewed August 2, 2011

The front desk warned us when we checked in that the walls are thin but we really didn't notice any noise because we turned the provided fan on high before we went to bed. There are cute wooden chairs and tables outside each room where we sat in the morning to drink the free coffee. It is a good location to the town. We had the Family Room #12 which had two separate rooms each with a queen bed and a pullout in the living room. Spaces were VERY tight, and the bathroom was teeny tiny. Beds were hard and uncomfortable. Front desk staff was nice. If you can find a place with breakfast included I would recommend that. We ate at Zums and it was $10.00 per person for breakfast. There wasn't much else to choose from in this small town.

Reviewed July 26, 2011

I liked this hotel because it was clean and the woman there was very honest and friendly. She warned me about the noise from other suites because of lack of insulation, and that it is a 1960's style hotel. I appreciate the honesty. Bed was very comfortable. I guess if you're lucky enough to get decent neighbors it's pretty much perfect. Just to give you an idea: I could hear the neighbor snoring a little bit. Overall, pretty good, but I wouldn't want to get a bunch of party animals next door.

1  Thank traveljunkie808780
Reviewed July 11, 2011

Whilst appreciated the clean comfortable room, and good location, the noise levels were horrendous. We were in room 2, and in rooms 1 and 3, the management had allowed a family with a total of 15 persons, to stay. (They told us how many guests were in the 2 rooms!) There was noise until late, and in the morning the constant banging of the doors as they went backwards and forwards between the two rooms, was dreadful. These rooms had 2 double beds in, which you would assume would accept 4 people, with a possible childs cot - think the management were being greedy allowing so many people to stay in the rooms