“Expensive but can't get better for Location”

Bayshore Inn Resort & Spa
Calgary
“Expensive but can't get better for Location”
Reviewed August 14, 2009

One night stay in Waterton last year. Booked based on the location and waterfront. Do not get deceived by waterfront as open view, its surrounded by trees all over though its right next to river. You cannot beat the location as it's right in the heart of Waterton. Our room as quite immaculate in size with two queen size beds, full washroom and balcony to outside. There was a power outage in Waterton on that day for hours so we had a good time to sit outside next to river which was very pleasant. As against other reviewers, the desk service was appropriate and we did not have any problem with booking or our rooms. The hotel was pricey as compared to the room but I believe due to seasonal business. We had an informal chat with the manager who told that hotel gets closed in winter for few months so I believe, they have to recover the costs for as many months as they can get. Also, as per other reviews, this hotel gets too many weddings probably as on our stay on weekend, it was very noisy with some wedding guests living right next to our room. Hotel is also attached to some of its cafe and restaurants which are also good in food and quality.

I would recommend this hotel for its great location (No open Waterviews from Rooms) if you are ok with the price tag. Its definitely not quiet. Waterton village is not huge so if you find a better deal around somewhere and are only staying for the night, I would probably pick a cheaper one.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank viva_m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
New York
Reviewed July 29, 2009

My boyfriend and I just returned from our 2 week vacation through Alberta and Montana. I made a reservation at the Bayshore Inn but was very hesitant because of some of the reviews on tripadvisor. I didn't really have a choice as all the other hotels were sold out. I even went so far as calling the hotel, talking to the front desk manager and finding out whether I should be still staying there. She reassured me that the hotel is great and that we would not be disappointed with our stay. I took her word for it and kept our reservation.

When we arrived we were greeted by the front desk clerk. He was very polite and informative about the all the activities in the surrounding area. We entered the room and were pleasantly surprised as the room was comfy, quiet and nicely decorated. The room had air conditioning which was great since it was fairly warm. This was one our reasons for staying at this hotel as there was only 1 other hotel in the park that had air conditioning. It also had a mountainous feel which was exactly what we were looking for. The room had a balcony where we enjoyed the view of the marina, Prince of Wales, and the cruise ship.

The hotel was located right in the middle of the town, close to a number of restaurants and gift shops. We did not have to drive anywhere as everything is within walking distance. We were a little disappointed as there was no pool at the hotel. We tried to dip our feet in the lake but it was far too cold as we were informed that it was glacier water.

We had dinner in the Fireside Lounge where we enjoyed some local beers and a casual meal. The lounge was the only place where we able to enjoy the baseball game which we had been looking forward to all day. Our server was friendly and courteous which really made our night pleasurable.

I am so happy we decided to stay at the Bayshore Inn. The staff, the room, and the location were perfect and will be staying there next time I visit Waterton. We had a wonderful time in this quaint little town and recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hadatia
sarasota fl
Reviewed July 20, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a wonderful trip to Glacier and the surrounding areas. We loved everything about the trip except the Bayshore Inn. The room was certainly not worth the price - old, tired and used. Even worse, they charge you when you book the room and put a hold on your credit card for an additional $150 for incidentals.
Lodging in the area is limited, but find some place other than this Inn!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank sullivan5294
nate16, Manger/Owner at Bayshore Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
The guest has described the room as old, tired and used, however all of our rooms have been renovated in the past 2 years. We now have plush white comforters, in room safe, high thread count sheets, new bath tubs, new televisions, irons and iron boards and environmentally friendly toiletries. We have also completely renovated the outside of the building with cedar and stone. We have done more renovations and upgrades that any hotel in the park.
Also the guest is all upset that hotel takes one nights stay as a form of deposit, when that is the standard practice of most of the hotels in the park. Some properties take the full stay in advance.
Finally, the guest mentions that we take $150.00 for incidentals. I called around the park and found that other properties take $200.00 for incidentals. This is the standard practice of an hotel in the world. Every guest checking into a hotel gives the front desk agent their credit card. You do not see what they do with the credit card, but they are in fact putting a hold on the card for the full stay plus incidentals. How could a hotel protect themselves if they were not assured a guest could pay for their stay, plus incidentals like phone calls or damage?
The Bayshore Inn is not doing anything out of the ordinary when taking deposits or preauthorizations. These are all common practices in the hotel industry. We hope no one takes this review as a negative.

Travelers are raving about these Waterton Lakes National Park hotels

Texas
Reviewed June 27, 2009

Do not get me wrong. The location is beautiful and definitely worth the travel, where ever you may be coming from. However the hotel itself is less then a desirable getaway. Like many other reviewers there was a complication with booking my room. I booked a room with a lake view and instead arrived to a room without one. Understandable, it does happen. But I expected a relatively nice room at the least- and was met with a dingy room suitable to be rented by the hour. The staff - in particularly management- seemed very condescending and unreasonable. I was not pleased with the service. Also, a word of caution: the wireless internet is not very reliable. I highly recommend waterton but choose the hotel wisely.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank George132
nate16, Manager/Owner at Bayshore Inn Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 22, 2009
Mistakes do happen in the and the guest was understanding about that. We do take responsibility when something like this occurs and we try to rectify the problem as best we can.
In regards to renting rooms by the hour that is definitely not an accurate description of our hotel. We have a number of corporate getaways, weddings, and families that stay at the hotel every season. Many guests love coming back every season, and we are sure they would not be back if our rooms look like how the guest has described.
Waterton is a very remote town. We only have satillite television and satillite internet. Therefore when it goes down during bad weather ie. heavy rain, wind, lightening, it is out of our hands. The hotel does not charge for internet, it is offered complimentary. Most guests do understand that Waterton is a remote town and does not have all the services as a city but the Bayshore tries its very best to offer as many amenities as we can.
Edmonton
Reviewed June 26, 2009

Stayed at the Bayshore Inn for a couple of nights during early June.

People at the front desk were courteous and helpful. The rooms were decent sized but in desperate need of maintenance. Beds were comfortable. The views great!

The only problem that I came up against is only after I had returned from my stay. On receiving my Credit Card statement I learnt that I had been charged on the date I made a reservation and not from the day of my stay. Which means I had been charged a full 25 days prior to my having stayed at the hotel.

Otherwise, all in all a good stay!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Calgary
Reviewed June 16, 2009

My husband and I decided to take a spontaneous trip to Waterton over the long weekend. When we arrived into town we were greeted by the white mountain goats, deer’s with their fawns, and extremely beautiful scenery. We had not booked a room yet and there were only a handful of hotels in the town. A couple of the hotels were already sold out but we were lucky enough to find a lakefront room at the Bayshore Inn. The front desk staff was courteous and very informative about the town. Our room was clean, comfortable and had an amazing view. We decided to have dinner at the restaurant on the property as it is the only restaurant overlooking the lake. Our dinner was fabulous and our waiter went out of his way to make sure our dinner was perfect as we mentioned we were celebrating our anniversary. We could not have asked for anything more and we will definitely be visiting Waterton and the Bayshore Inn.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Vancouver , Canada
Reviewed June 2, 2009

We (my husband and two children) recently stayed 2 nights at the Bayshore Inn. We booked the family suite as it had 3 double beds and overlooked the lake. The room had a mini-fridge and microwave which was very convenient as we did have two children. During the day my husband was able to take the kids out near the lake, while I was able to escape to the brand new spa for a relaxing massage. For dinner we had a couple different options on the property. We decided that the bistro would be the best fit for us because of the children, however if we were alone we would have eaten in the main dining room. The food was great and well priced. Since my husband and I enjoy the outdoors we decided that we would go for a short hike on the second day. The front desk informed us that Bears Hump would be ideal as it could be done in just over an hour. Once we reached the top we could not believe the view. We could see the whole town and down the valley which looked like it was never ending. The hike is definitely worth the view. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. The Bayshore Inn has a great location as it is on the lakefront and is also right on main street. Waterton is a great little town and the Bayshore Inn made my families stay enjoyable.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
#8 of 8 in Waterton Lakes National Park
Rocky Ridge Country Lodge
Rocky Ridge Country Lodge
#1 of 2 in Mountain View

Been to Bayshore Inn Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!