“The nicest rooms in all of Waterton”

Waterton Glacier Suites
Reviewed July 9, 2011

Recently my wife and I came back to Waterton after staying the previous year at the Bayshore Inn. This time around we decided to spring for a Deluxe suite instead of a more basic room.

To keep this short, the room was well worth the cost. This hotel was recently built and it shows: everything is modern yet appropriate to the Waterton vibe. The beds were particularly comfortable and everything about the room was pure quality. Our bathroom was spacious and had a nice tub that my wife often relaxed in while I was out exploring. The only thing missing was a kitchen, although restaurants were only a short walk away and we certainly had no desire to cook anything on our vacation!

The one downside to Waterton, particularly for me as an ex-smoker, is that a lot of people smoke constantly and smoke everywhere. This bothers me and it was important that WGS had a no-smoking policy. While the staff is friendly and informative, it was clear that this policy was enforced which was very important to me. It also guarantees that the nice rooms stay that way.

Overall we had a very nice stay at the Waterton Glacier Suites and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a luxury room while visiting this wonderful national park.

• Stayed: July 2011
4  Thank kevinj65

Reviewed July 5, 2011

This hotel was advertised as "the newest all-suites hotel in the area".... but I find everything in the room Dated. Maybe all the hotels in this area is really old and here's where we can get something slightly more 'modern', but I'm giving only honest reviews here and trust me, it's old. We chose the Loft-Suites ($290++/night) as we have 3 adults and 2 kids. Check-in was strictly at 4pm only as they have minimal staff (even during peak season) for housecleaning. Everything is chargeable here, we requested baby playpen and that was extra $20 per night.
The main floor of the room has a big bathroom as we enter, a tiny sink, mini-fridge, microwave and closet is opposite the bathroom - no kitchenette, it's just a tiny sink to wash hands or wash cups. In the middle of the living area was a jetted bathtub - this is perfect for kids to jump in and play with water. The pullout sofa is old and takes a bit of effort to set up. The armchair in the livingroom is so old that it has stains from wear & tear, hopefully they will replace these chairs, it looks awful.
Upstairs in the Loft was a queensize bed - very small area to walk but enough to put a baby playpen. The bathroom in the loft was small and basic, the hotwater mixer in the shower is not very good - sometimes we get a gush of cold water.
The suite itself was clean (but the carpets were old - I recommend keeping the slippers/shoes on) and we had clean towels daily. The frontdesk was very friendly and she gave good advice on directions, where to go, what to eat.... (thank you!)
The nice thing about this place is the quiet location from the busy, noisy center of town. The Bayshore Inn (sister hotel to this) has a nicer location in front of the lake. But it can also be quite noisy and traffic is a little heavier on that part of the road during weekends.
We might consider to stay in this place again - but next time, we'll try the Bayshore Inn first.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SundayRose
watertonalberta, Manager at Waterton Glacier Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2011

Hello Sunday Rose

I would like to thank you for your positive review as reviews guide us to becoming better hotels. Although we are the newest hotel in the park , we were built ten years ago but have been renovating every year. This year we put in all new beds in all rooms and suites as well as heavenly bedding. I am sorry you felt the room was dated , all the furniture is only a few years old and is all hand made by a furniture maker in Okotoks , Alberta using all local wood. We were going for a rustic lodge feel. I have inspected all the chairs in the rooms and i have found a stained one (i am assuming that was the Loft Suite you stayed in ) and have replaced it with a new one. I am also surprised you felt the carpet was dated and old as it is was replaced only two months ago! You were right , the pull out sofa is a little hard to pull out but we did just replace all our pull out mattress and i will discuss with maintenance a way to make them easier to open. Again i would like to thank you for your positive review and we will work hard to make your next stay even better next time!

Reviewed July 4, 2011

We did not have any of the problems which the previous reviews discussed. The front office staff is earnest and friendly but not always helpful in regards to questions. Our room was clean and quiet. We traveled with another couple and having a two room suite was very nice, and we made good use of the in room refrigerator. Waterton is small, and the hotel is walking distance to everything. We would not hesitate to stay there again on a return trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 11, 2011

Staying there was nothing like a hotel and more like having all the luxury of Home.
Ok, maybe I am spoiled and don't find a bed and TV enough.
The suite had enough room for all of us, cozy but designed to offer privacy.
Even the living room suite was so well appointed.
My only regret was that our booking was for two days not long enough!
We are in good company when I heard some VIP'S stay there!

Room Tip: Book ahead in peak Tourist season.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank samraja
Reviewed May 11, 2011

Great place to Stay, very close to town, Deer at your Door, Superb Service.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank cruiser786Yvr
Reviewed May 10, 2011

The hotel room was nice and cozy; definitely a step up from some of the other places I've stayed in the area. However, I did not to go Waterton Lakes to sit in the hotel room. The staff was friendly and pointed me in the right direction for places to see and what there was to do. They nailed it spot on when it came to the hikes they recommended. One of the staff members even accompanied on a trail called Wall Lake. Great, friendly people. I'll definitely be back there.

• Stayed: June 2010
1  Thank Adam141
Reviewed February 16, 2011

I took my girlfriend away for a romantic getaway after discovering this hotel on the web. We had a great package which included breakfast & champagne upon arrival. Not much is happening in Waterton in February but this is exactly what we were looking for. The suites are kept very clean and have a very modern feel to them. Fire place, balcony, hot tub in the room. Breakfast & dinner were in the lobby area, very cosy & cute like a bed & breakfast., the chef came out and talked to us which was nice. The people working there during the winter are very personal and attentive (probably because they don't see many people compared to the summer) and we loved this. Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple