A slice of history, a helping of mountain splendor, all served with high tea. Who could ask for more? This hotel fits the bill when it comes to location, location, location! This swiss chalet - all seven stories of it - sits on a promontory with your choice of views - one direction: Upper Waterton Lake surrounded by the Rocky Mountions; the other: a dramatic transition to the Great Plains.
We stayed in a lake view queen - on the fifth floor. A tiny elevator - fits the bellman, small lugage cart & two guests - reaches the fourth floor. The final ascent to our room was up a narrow flight of stairs. The climb was worth it!!! A cozy retreat - with a comfy queen bed to the left, sink and facilities (with shower) to the right. Across from the door, in the center of the room was a small step up into the dormer - with a small writing desk and a glorious view of the lake and mountains beyond. TV? Heavens no, what for? This hotel is in the right place - it deserves to be in a National Park.
We awoke to howling winds - that stumbled over the hotel as they drained from mountains and emptied onto the vast prairie beyond. Unforgettable - pull up the covers, snuggle down, listen and enjoy. And enjoy we did, from our room, to the soaring lobby, to dining room with its kilt clad waitstaff.
Build in 1926, it is not the most modern of hotels - but, what it lacks in modern ammentities is made up in spades with character.
One thing to remember - this hotel is seasonal - it closes for the winter - in mid September.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Built in 1927, the Prince of Wales Hotel is located on the bluff overlooking picturesque Waterton Lakes and the township of Waterton, Alberta Canada. This stately hotel, named after Prince Edward, offers 86 guest rooms and a traditional British atmosphere complete with Afternoon Tea, the Royal Stewart Dining Room, Windsor Lounge, and the distinctive gift shop, Princess Gifts. The Prince of Wales Hotel is a smoke free, 7-story facility with designated outdoor smoking areas. Check-in time is after 3:00 p.m. and checkout time is 11:00 a.m. All rooms are accessed via stairs and are sold based on view or room size. An antique elevator is available for floors 2 through 4 and requires assistance to operate. There are no ADA-accessible rooms available at Prince of Wales Hotel. The self parking lot is located a short walk from the hotel. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Prince of Wales Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Prince Of Wales
- Prince Wales Hotel Waterton
- Prince Of Wales Hotel Waterton Lakes National Park, Canada - Alberta