“Waterton was awesome, this hotel... not so awesome.”
Review of Aspen Village

Aspen Village
Reviewed September 6, 2012

This hotel would be passable for a cheap motel on the way somewhere. As a destination with a premium price it was a huge disappointment. Dingy old room, stale smell of old cigarettes, small, noisy. I was able to overlook it all weekend and enjoy the hiking and scenery of Waterton except for one thing. We stayed three nights. The second night our room wasn't cleaned... bed not made, no new towels, no coffee replenished. I complained about this while checking out and the person at the counter did not seem to care AT ALL. I asked to speak to a manager and was told none were available. I had the clerk take my number down and asked to have the manager call me. This was Monday. It is now Thursday and I am still waiting. I can't beleive how much we paid for this room. We have paid much less for nicer rooms in Banff and Canmore. I will NEVER go back there as I'd rather camp.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 3, 2012

Only the location was acceptable. Service was poor.The room was not clean.The microwave did not work. One of the lamps also. No .TV remote control, sorry about that was the response from staff For a price of $ 200. it was a rip-off .We left after one night.Probably the last time that we will visit Waterton

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jim s s
Waymarker, Public Relations Manager at Aspen Village, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Hi Jim,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay at The Aspen Village. We really appreciate your feedback, as it helps us to improve our operations.

Since you last stayed with us, we have working diligently to improve the quality of the Aspen rooms, and I think you would be impressed with the new and improved Aspen Village.

I hope your bad experience with us doesn't prevent you from returning to Waterton Park, it truly is a beautiful place and one bad experience shouldn't ruin the Park's reputation.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

This was the only 'hotel' in town that had any availability ,so we had no choice but to stay one ngt here. The place is run down both outside and inside. Carpets in the hallways are disgusting.Our rm(21) was a rm with 2 double beds in it,we opened the door to the rm and the smell that hit us was horrendous,stale,damp and musty. There was a small kitchentte in the rm,which we had no intention of using. There were grease marks all over the wall above the cooker and the rings on the cooker were filthy. The bathrm was very basic,hair on floor and bathtub had a dirty ring around it. The beds were comfortable enough but we slept on a big bathsized towel we'd brought with us, just so we didnt have to actuially lie on the paper thin sheets!. Horrible place...but like I say, we had no choice as everywhere else was fully booked & this was last minute trip for us.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank sunlover57
ThomWaterton, Guest Relations Manager at Aspen Village, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am embarrased by what seems to be a complete breakdown in both maintenance and housekeeping. I cannot blame our employees as we have failed to train , suoervise and follow up with them. This is not the standard we aspire to and I would like to personally apologise to you. I would also invite you to follow up your review with me personally. Please contact me thom@waymarker.ca. I can assure you the ownership is taking strides to improve the property, our operations including training and maintenance.
Sincerely

Reviewed August 12, 2012 via mobile

My Husband and I have been coming to Waterton for 9 plus years and have lodged at several places in Waterton and we find the Aspen to be the least liked due to dated and run diwn rooms and poor service, we have learned that there is no training and the employee's are the lowest paid, this is very evident.
The rooms are old and moldy and smell, we feel that it is a case of supply and demand due to there being only a handful of places to stay in Waterton.
In talking with other guests, the same concerns are consistent, it is about desperation vs destination, in short if you book late you have no choice and that is what they take advantage o and this is based on many years of coming here, we love Waterton for it's beauty and give praise to many of the restaurant owners who understand tourism and customer service, however the hotel owners, especially the Aspen owners should take some courses on running a hotel successfully and especially understanding true customer service because that is what brings people back.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Thumbi888

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, you clearly love Waterton and it is embarrasing for us to have failed you on your vacation. I would like to correct some of your statements however. We do have a training program but as has been shown this year it is lacking in many areas and we are now auditing how we train and what we train to improve. There is one hotel in town that pays more than we do the rest all pay the same and I will not fault our employees but admit to failing them in training as well as supervision. Last year we started to update many of the rooms and that wiill continue, i understand that does nothing to help you but I would invite you to contact me personally so I can follow up with you. My email is thom@waymarker.ca. Once again thank you for taking the time and please accept my personal apology.
Sincerely

Reviewed August 9, 2012

Whilst booking, we spoke to a person assumed to be a non-native English speaking individual (not Caucasian). Come to find out (later) she was, but you would never know, as she spoke like she had an appendage in her mouth, if you know what I mean, totally clueless, could not even figure out how to use the debit machine. The worst part is that we had to fight to get the worlds smallest refrigerator put in our room, the coffee maker could fit in your pocket, cheap is not the word. When asking for a microwave, most commonly equipped @ every decent accommodation these days, we were told outright 'no you cannot have one’ (we needed this device for our son, to warm up his bottles and food, if nothing else), we ended up having to bring our own. These guys will not allow you to check in until 4pm, super late, after some hassling however, it was agreed we could check in at 3:30pm.. when we arrived we had to wait an extra hour and a bit, the room wasn't ready until 4:40pm, and the invalid at the front desk was none too apologetic about it. When we tried the key we were given for the room, it didn't work, & maintenance had to be summoned to fix the lock. These doors are a nightmare, totally mickey mouse, you have to slam them to shut em’ tight, the latch-lock as you might have guessed, is budget, leaving one to worry about larceny the whole while.
The hotel itself, aesthetically is not too bad on the exterior, and the rooms are not a far cry from what one should expect, maybe showing a bit of wear and tear (IE peeling paint). I did like the artwork and furniture that adorned the room, although not a fan of the beds, mine didn't even have a boxspring, & the mattress kept tipping off. A saving grace was the cleaning staff, the head cleaner and a few others’ were funny and sociable, and did a good job cleaning the rooms.
The biggest complaint I have, again, is with the doors. Because you have to slam them, this is what I heard all night. If I didn't take a sleeping pill, there is no way I would have slept (a very serious upgrade is needed). To boot, the idiots under us were noisy, and I informed the manager about it (after hours), the toadie basically chose to do nothing, he wouldn't even answer his phone when I called back. This place is soo badly managed, & sadly it really doesn't need to be this way. Get rid of the lazy/deficient individuals, and get some work done before you go out of business!!!

Save your money and book somewhere else if you want and enjoyable stay in Waterton.

PS
As this hotel resides within' the federal jurisdiction of the national park, it is a farce this place is even open, under these conditions. Health Canada could shut this one down if they wanted to. Can you say government kickbacks?

Room Tip: You might want to see the good in this one, justifying a cheaper room - to save some money, or may...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Niglin70
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We recently travelled to Waterton for a wedding and booked at Aspen Village Inn. We faxed them our booking and requested a crib. On the way there I called to double check that the crib would be set up as we would arrive late and our baby would be asleep. We were then told,"we don't really have anything like that."
When we arrived they gave us the key to the wrong room. Once we had the right key we asked again if they had a matress or something we could put the baby on. They brought us a pile of blankets and put them in the corner on the floor.
That would have been fine if we had a little baby however we have a 1 1/2 year old who kept getting up in the middle of the night and walking around. NOT SAFE!! So we decided to check out a day early. When we went to the front desk to tell them we would be leaving because of lack of crib they informed us that actually they DID have cribs!!! Just none available the first night. So why did we have 2 nights with a baby on the floor???
No one informed us we could have a crib the 2nd night or made any effort to bring us one even though we had requested it many times.
Very frustrating. We will not be back again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Firstly I want to thank you for taking the time to write your review even though it is embarrasing. I want to apologise for our failure in giving you a good experience. We are fortunate to have business in Waterton and to fail you and hurt the reputation of this amazing area is very disappointing. Because of the troubles we have experienced this season we are auditing all our training standards and procedures. I understand this does not help you or change your experience I only hope you come another time give us another chance to see how your feedback improved guests future experience. If you do wish to return please contact me personally thom@waymarker.ca or if you would like to personally follow this response feel free to contact me.
Sincerly

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Unfortunately, this hotel isn't up to scratch. The room we stayed in had electrical issues with dodgy wall sockets. The shower was luke warm and probably the worst was the thickness of the walls. Paper thin and we could hear a family upstairs making noise until 1am.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for an upstairs room. At least that way you might get some sleep.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 8 in Waterton Lakes National Park
Bear Country Inn and Suites
Bear Country Inn and Suites
#2 of 2 in Mountain View

Been to Aspen Village? Share your experiences!