“Don't be fooled by the name ... this place isn't just about hot dogs!”

Wieners of Waterton
Cuisines: American, Fast Food, Canadian
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Calgary, Canada
“Don't be fooled by the name ... this place isn't just about hot dogs!”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

I chose this title for my review because I am not sure this is a place I would have ventured into had it not been highly recommended by a co-worker (in Calgary). Wieners of Waterton is an "experience". It is a family-run business ... and each member of the family believes in high quality products, high quality customer service and innovation. The ovens are full of home-made items ... from the hot dog buns to the cinnamon buns and cranberry orange scones (I brought a dozen of these back to Calgary with me). Their hot dog sausages are home-made by a local butcher who makes them just the right length to fit the bun ... how cool is that? There's nothing worse than the first couple of mouthfuls being just bun and ketchup! With the array of fresh, home-made, original toppings you can put on your hot dog or breakfast sausage bun, I highly doubt anyone would just settle for ketchup anyway! It is worth getting a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice just to have the chance to see their very fancy orange juice squeezer machine in motion! It reminded me of a coin sorting machine. I didn't have children with me but am sure if I did it would have cost me a small fortune in orange juice! Perhaps you prefer tea? No regular tea at Wieners. They have a varied selection to appeal to individual tastes. After you have made your choice they actually prepare it from scratch ... filling a bag with the freshest of leaves! The interior of the restaurant is on the small side (my guess is they never dreamed they would become so popular) ... they have ample seating outside in the sunshine. Myself, I never made it to one of those benches because I so enjoyed visiting with the patrons of this shoppe. They are polite, creative, ambitious, innovative and friendly. I am turning 50 this month and these young people truly represent what I hope our next generation to be. It is very obvious that they truly enjoy and are truly interested in meeting people from all over the world who come to visit our majestic Waterton Lakes National Park. My only advice to them? Keep doing what you're doing because it is definitely working! I look forward to my next visit : )

• Korean first
Calgary, Canada
“Yum”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Get Nathan's 1/4 lb, I loved it! Special sauce is off da chain and potato chips on the dog are a thumbs up.

Visited June 2013
“Unique Breakfast”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Had breakfast here this morning after scoping out several other options. We had a Breakfast Dogs with homemade sausage, eggs and cheddar cheese on a FRESHLY baked bun. The coffee is freshly ground and brewed too. Quality and price was very good for this pricey, but beautiful town. The friendly service from the two sister who are running this establishment could not have been better.

Regina, Canada
“Look forward to it every trip!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

I love the smokies and can't get enough of the sweet fries with all the yummy sauces! Service is always friendly and quick :-)

Visited June 2013
State College, PA
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is a truly great place that has delicious food and courteous service. Everything I tried here was great, but the "local smokie" is my favorite. A great "dog" from grass-fed beef in Alberta, CA. It is one amazing dog!
Carlton - State College, PA