“Perfection!”

Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa
Ranked #1 of 11 Galiano Island B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The first part of our stay was with the highly luxurious, private and serene Galiano Island Inn. We enjoyed every moment from the second we got off the ferry. This Inn is to date the most intimate, peaceful and romantic retreat we have had the pleasure of experiencing. The Villa was a lover's hideaway; we truly appreciated the peace and quiet after our wedding. It was as though we were the only ones in the resort but the little boutique Inn was booked. These units have complete sound barriers so not another's words were heard the entire weekend unless we chose to venture out into the quaint little town. The highlight for us was the luxury of keeping our windows open all night allowing the fresh ocean air to breeze in while knowing we wouldn't be disturbed in the morning by other patrons; we woke peaceful every morning. Equally pleasing was the freedom of having our own natural wood burning fireplace, jet tub, outdoor grill, patio heater and fully equipped kitchen! We spent every moment alfresco! We ate in the dining room once and for the most part enjoyed ourselves but the true enjoyment we had was living as we would at home, preparing our fresh food for ourselves, including snacks and evening tea in the delightful kitchen. This does allow to keep costs down, but we loved it simply for the exquisite privacy. Imagine a patio with a roaring fire, bubbly jet-tub, fresh ocean breeze whilst savouring a delicious glass of wine...this is no exaggeration...it was perfection! One evening we had front row seats to the most thrilling thunder and lightning show over the ocean. The spa mineral pool was lovely, the staff were swift and efficient with every detail including hand delivering cream to our door in the morning twice. We did a small load of laundry in our in-suite laundry center; showered in our 20 jet spray shower with a bench; watched movies in our king sized bed; called a couple family members with grateful words after our wedding with the hotel complimentary LD service...the list goes on and on. We just wished the fire wood had been complimentary as we loved our cozy fires. This executive Boutique Inn was 10/10 for us!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
GalianoInn, Owner at Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2012

Thank you so much for all your great comments, Donna! We are delighted to hear from guests who found us to be perfect for honeymoons: that time when every newly married couple needs to truly relax and recharge. And we loved that you loved all the wonderful amenities in the Villa Suite … nothing beats oceanfront breezes, an outdoor hydrotherapty tub, outdoor fireplace, al fresco dining (and wining), and complimentary Long Distance phone calls, does it!
We’ve tried to create the Galiano Inn exactly as you’ve described it- the most intimate, peaceful and romantic retreat on the West Coast. And, yes, we often hear people asking ‘are we the only ones here?’ And we’re booked. Perfect for a Lover’s Getaway, such as your own, or the sound-proof walls make it great for families as well (or newlyweds, ahem.)
We hope you join us again; we would love to try and make your next stay an 11/10!

Reviewed August 26, 2012

It is so interesting how things can be perceived when different personalities are involved! I just read the last review ( and the one prior) and my husband and I happened to be at the Inn on that very same day. ( And yes, there was a morning when there was a difficulty with the water. Poor us. We're at a spa and we are suffering!)

Anyway, our impression of the Inn at Galiano was very positive indeed.
I wanted to surprise my husband at the last minute with an Island Get Away. I had to leave it to short notice as his work schedule is always unpredictable and when I found out that he would and could actually 'protect' a four day weekend I jumped at the chance to do something for him for once. ( My husband is an amazing man who has surprised me with many things in our 30 years of marriage. )
It was his birthday and I ' Googled ' ...." The Gulf Islands Most Romantic Get- Aways " to start the search. Since we are from Alberta I wanted something close so that we could make the most of our long weekend.
The first 3 places I found were understandably booked as it is high season and I was calling only a couple of weeks before the big day. Even Galiano was very booked. But I ended up speaking with the front desk hostess, Tika, who is obviously a romantic because she worked hard to help me with my lovely surprise.
She found me a suite for the 3 nights and helped me figure out the best way to get to the Island from Vancouver . ( Float plane!) She was excited for me and made me feel so welcomed even before we arrived.
Our room was lovely and I only took away one notch from the 'circle review' because it just happened to be a sweltering hot weekend and there was no air conditioning. ( I think in most days of the year there would be a lovely breeze blowing and air conditioning would be a non-issue) .
Anyway, because this Inn is also a spa she threw in an hour spa treatment ( a salt water bath in candlelight....aaaahhhhh) AND four hours to be booked at our discretion with the cutest Smart Car so that we could buzz around the Island. That was a great perk ( we purchased another four hours to use the car for the entire day) as there are no cabs and we had a wonderful day visiting the Saturday Market and many Artisans . We were so happy to purchase a beautiful painting by Bruce Dolson, a local artist who does gorgeous work.

We just happened to be sitting in the diningroom one morning when the couple from the last review was turned away at breakfast. Sorry folks but it was 10:07 by my watch and late is late! The kitchen staff need a break too, I'm sure! AND breakfasts were delicious and the eggs were always cooked exactly as ordered. Yum.

The gourmet pizza was SO delicious at the outdoor patio and people come there to eat it from all over the Island.
Back to the Spa : I treated my guy to a couple's massage treatment too. Talk about Heaven! We walked through the most beautiful gardens to reach this wee , outdoor cabin where we found our 2 massage therapists and comfortable tables facing curtains softly swaying in the slight breeze. The view was like something out of a painting by Monet and indeed I will probably attempt to paint the lilly pad pond as I am also an artist.
Our therapists gave us 'relaxation' massages and for once they really DID give us this type of treatment. I have asked for relaxation massages before but usually leave feeling a little battered instead of relaxed . They did a great job. Thanks, Luanah!

The view from our room was unbelievably beautiful ( just like the Website) and we spent time sitting in the chaise lounges , reading and relaxing here too. We LOVED the outdoor,private jet tub on our deck and spent another cozy evening under a blanket infront of the outdoor fireplace on our private patio.

Funnily enough, WE were the couple that visited the fellow that wrote in about docking his boat at the Inn. He was such a kind and interesting man and we couldn't believe it when he had his mishap and we all headed in to help him get treatment. Indeed the staff were refreshingly helpful and quick to respond.

Finally, we were given a few shuttle rides during our stay ( we had ALL good meals at nearby pubs and restaurants ( like the Hummingbird Pub and La Boheme) and the last one by the owner herself ...back to the float plane home!

Sometimes things go wrong on holidays but I truly believe a good attitude can see you through most any mishap. We left Galiano Island with wonderful memories and most of them were due to a truly lovely stay at the Inn.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you SO much for this wonderful and detailed review. It was easy to please you…because you are wonderful people! And so romantic after 30 years of marriage? Quite the inspiration to us all. Your review is so appreciated by all the hard-working staff (and me) because you wrote at the same time as “the other review”. So often we find that the really super happy guests (99.99% are just that) do not write reviews, and the one upset person does. Thank you for setting the record straight.
It was a pleasure to help you create this special surprise for your husband (and of course make sure YOU enjoyed your gift too!). The massage by the waterfall is my favourite experience too…I hope you took lots of photos so you can paint the gardens…or you just might have to come back! (did I tell you about our upcoming Painting Retreat?). All of the special treats you mention from candlelight to gourmet food to great service: we try to provide to each and every guest: and we are so glad you enjoyed it all. We hope to see you again soon…perhaps for a family wedding? (p.s. “Congratulations once again").

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Every June for the past three years I have treated myself to a stay at the Galiano Inn and Spa. Each stay has been better than the last! From the beautiful location and gorgeous rooms to the amazing food and finally the staff who make me feel like family, I cannot say enough good things about my stay there! I renew and recharge myself at the spa and love the treatments and spa staff. I leave Galiano Inn & Spa feeling amazing and cannot wait to return.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo

Hi, Alanah.
What a wonderful title to give us: Your “Favourite Place in the World”? Awesome! Such kind and thoughtful words, too, thank you. All of us here at the Galiano Inn look forward to your annual visits! We love when guests think of us as family when they visit their “home away from home”. It makes all that we do feel worthwhile.
Looking forward to having you back next year (or even sooner if you’re up to it) ;^)

Reviewed August 23, 2012

My wife and I celebrated our anniversary here recently boating in and staying on their private dock overnite. Our first impressions were very good . The resort displays beautiful manicured grounds, private areas and views hard to match. Lunched at the outdoor pizza resturant and enjoyed a very unique and tasty pizza and a nice visit by the chef after - what a delightful person she is ! My wife , being " spa oriented " , spent a superb 2 hours in the spa prior to our dinner.
Dinner was very good and would highly recomend - prices fair it seemed. Staff delightful except for one seemingly disinterested server at lunch. This was also noticed by two other couples we spoke to.

Met and visited with 2 other guests who said rooms are superb with theirs having a hot tub outside. Certainly looked beautiful from outside.

Unfortunately, a slight mishap occurred on my part which required an emergency
visit to the lsland doctor. I could not believe how quickly and professionally the Resort staff acted to ensure this was expedited ! They could not have done more to ensure I was treated properly.

People make places and places make memories . We'll be back for a longer stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
GalianoInn, Owner at Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2012

We loved having you here, too. And so glad we were able to help you when you needed it. From the number of reviews you have put in TripAdvisor, we are so pleased we made your 5* rating!

The highlights you mentioned: beautiful manicured grounds, views hard to match, delightful staff, superb spa: that is what we all work very hard to provide. T

hank you for staying with us, and for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We are pleased that your review says you intend to come again, we certainly hope that you do: we love pleasing our guests!

Reviewed August 14, 2012

this was the highlight of our family trip to canada for my 70th birtdaywe were greeted warmly our accomodation was perfect very comfortable bedroom with a sitting room with plrnty of room to watch Olympics and play games.
we saw otters and seals and enjoyed delicious meals in both the dining room and patio plaza
we loved the beauty of the inn gardens particularly the meadow
all in all a very special place with staff to martch
pity its so far from australia

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank 475suzanneb
GalianoInn, Owner at Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2012

You and your husband were a highlight as well...thank you for choosing us as a special stop on your family holiday!

What a pleasure it always is to have people from different parts of the world on our little island, but especially those from "down under"... ... we agree with your statement: "pity we are so far from Australia"!. We hope you took advantage of our free phone calls long distance, so you could tell everyone about us! We are pleased to be a part of special memories of you and your family on a landmark occasion. The staff are very proud of their work, and I am happy you enjoyed them, the food, the rooms, and of course the gardens.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I have only positive things to say about the Galiano Inn. I recently stayed there for my 4 or 5th time and as always I was treated so well. I always enjoy my time there. The spa treatments were great- a special thanks to Pam. The food was delicious. Even though the size of the Inn has expanded since my first visit there many years ago, the Inn has done an excellent job of keeping the same cosy inn feeling. I can't wait to return again. Thanks of course to Connie who makes me feel like I am returning home.

Room Tip: I prefer the upstairs rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank headintheclouds13
GalianoInn, Owner at Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

We loved having you back! It’s a pleasure to make our resort a second home to our return guests, especially ones as nice as you.

And we are so pleased you liked us even more each time (beam). We are always updating our resort with new touches and experiences to enhance our guests' experience, while trying very much to keep the small boutique inn charm.

As a personal note, I would like to add that I really enjoyed seeing you again. And from the rest of the staff ... they are happy to hear that we created an atmosphere where a woman traveling on her own for a short retreat felt comfortable and very happy...so much so that you’ll be returning again….. Thanks for the BIG compliment!!

Warm regards,
Conny Nordin

Reviewed August 12, 2012

Galiano Inn was a great place for my family to create some special memories. You will not be disappointed if you choose this place for a family gathering. We were pleasantly surprised.

The rooms were beautiful and spacious and they all had a view.The beds were comfy, the room was clean and the bathroom was luxurious with island made soaps and lotions and beautiful large jetted tubs.
We were a group of five families, teens, children and babies and not easy to please, but Galiano Inn seemed to be a great match for us. The place was up to par with any other resort we've stayed in.
The restaurant Eat at the Inn was fabulous and was as good and better than many top restaurants in any city I've ever visited. Fabulous food and service! My highest complements to the chef and the servers! The breakfasts were wonderful, and dinners were divine.
The lunch pizza and salads at the Wood-Fired Pizza on the outdoor patio was fresh, tasty and good!

We enjoyed the island and visits to the beach, shops, cafe, pub and it was helpful to have use of the smart car, although the largest family brought their car as well.
...and Thank you to the Inn for the shuttle to Montague!

Some of the family enjoyed the spa and hot tub too!
The only thing missing was a swimming pool.

Thanks Connie and your team of lovely ladies of Galiano Inn!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank mybesttips
GalianoInn, Owner at Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Thank you for your comments: It is fabulous that you think we are fabulous...we happen to think you were a pretty fabulous group, too! Your review is especially gratifying since we know you are all seasoned travellers with experience in hotels and restaurants around the world: so thank you for the great comments about our restaurant food and service. We do try to provide the special touches, from island-made soap to a free shuttle to Montague in the summer: we want our guests to experience everything Galiano. We hope to see you again.

Conny Nordin

Driftwood Village
Driftwood Village
#2 of 4 in Galiano Island
Arbutus Point Oceanfront Bed and Breakfast
Arbutus Point Oceanfront Bed and...
#13 of 45 in Salt Spring Island
Bodega Ridge
Bodega Ridge
#1 of 1 in North Galiano

Been to Galiano Oceanfront Inn and Spa? Share your experiences!