“Don't be fooled by the outside!”

The Sporty Bar & Grill
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Port Hardy
Cuisines: Seafood, Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: At The Sporty we are committed to providing you with the best the Island has to offer. With a family dining area, pub seating, a fantastic new local cedar patio, game room and full dining section overlooking Hardy Bay, there is certainly something for everyone. We offer a wide array of local products, from local seafood to Vancouver Island Micro brewed beer coupled with multiple large screen tv's to catch your favourite game, let The Sporty Bar & Grill be part of your trip to Port Hardy!
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We were so grateful that we went inside this rather unappealling looking facade - we found wonderful food with hospitable service. We were looking for a nice place to have a good dinner and certainly found it! The food was as good as you would find in a fine restaurant in a big city and the service was attentive and friendly. We enjoyed our server who shared her stories of growing up in Port Hardy....and had a perfectly lovely evening.

LeftRock, Owner at The Sporty Bar & Grill, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Sorry for the delayed response, but thank you very much for your review! As I mentioned in a recent review, we agree with your concern on outside appearances. Here's hoping our current renovations and outside patio addition add some exterior eye appeal to go along with providing a pleasant dining experience! Cheers!

Reviewed January 3, 2013

We ate here in on December 27th and felt like a captured audience since only one other pub was open that night in Port Hardy. The prices were almost what you pay for fine dining restaurants in Vancouver but the food was anything but fine dining. My husband ordered the Hunter Schnitzel and the sauce came on the side for an extra $2.50 for a very little sauce. I ordered the lamb shank that was on special and it was the worst lamb shank I have eaten anywhere. We found the Quarterdeck Pub, the only other place open the next evening, much better priced and the food better.

1  Thank LoveHiking4
Reviewed September 16, 2012 via mobile

After our terrible experience at the Quarterdeck we went looking for somethig else for dinner. We arrived at the Sporty and immediately thought our choice was bad, but, "never judge a book by its cover" so we went in... There was a very large group of tourists on one side of the dining room and the locals at the bar. We found a spot near the bar. The only server was running around like crazy until some help arrived. The waitresses were nice enough to take our order (and the table behind us) before taking the large group so that we wouldn't have to wait. My wife had the fish tacos which she enjoyed and I had the cedar plank salmon (which I noted another reviewer had problems with). My salmon was extremely tasty and cooked perfectly and I highly recommend it! The waitresses checked on us frequently, even with the large group on site. Overall it was a pleasant experience and while they leave the doors open so a breeze will come in, I did not notice any bugs!

Reviewed August 27, 2012

After looking at several eatries in Port Hardy, we decided that the Sporty Bar and Grill suited our tastes best. With a pleasant interior (bright, no greasy food smell), several tables outdoors, and facing the water and the local park, this restaurant offers a wide variety of meals from burgers, pasta, chicken, seafood, meat as well as soups/salads, appys/small plates, and desserts. Most main dishes are between $17-$21. My hubby had the mixed seafood grill ($16) with oysters, cajun shrimp (very delicious!), crab cakes, and smoked salmon. I had cedar planked grilled salmon. My meal was undercooked...not only the salmon (I like it well done so I had them cook it a bit longer) but also the vegetables...large carrot coins. Meal was filling without dessert. Waitress was a very pleasant young lady. We would definitely eat here again when in Port Hardy. It is probably the best restaurant in town, IMO.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

Much too expensive for such a small town. Even the locals can not afford to eat here. We took one look at menus and walked out.