“Poor service, good food”
Review of Toudai Sushi

Toudai Sushi
Ranked #8 of 20 Restaurants in Port Hardy
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Did not understand that one of my dinner party had a specific allergy, we asked to substitute the more expensive roll in the bento box for an inexpensive roll which would not cause anaphylactic reactions. They charged us full price for the bento box, and then full price for the sub roll. Food good, long wait. Nice view.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

My husband and I ate at this restaurant during a recent anniverary trip. While he thought his sushi and sashime were excellent, I had a terrible meal. I can't eat fish so ordered gyoza, which were mediocre, and vegetable tempura. This last consisted of slabs of potato and one slice of melon, covered in a thick and greasy tempura coating. When I mentioned the lack of variety in the tempura to the waitress, she told me that she kept telling the chef the same thing. Horrible! The restaurant itself smells mildewy and the front windows, where we set, appeared either fogged up from failure of the sealed units, or else really dirty. An expensive dinner with very little enjoyment for one of us!

Reviewed March 28, 2013

The restaurant itself has a good view of Port Hardy harbour.
It was somewhat cold when I was in Port Hardy (3 degrees C) so they had some additional heaters placed around the restaurant.

I tried 3 different rolls all were good. California, Dynamite, and a Candied Apple roll which I thought was the best, unique.

Service was excellent. I was in a bit of a rush, made that clear, and was in and out within 20 mins.

I will go again.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I have gone to this restaurant several times, and the food is always great; however, the service sucks. The place was fairly busy, and the waitress was mainly focused on take-out than service customers. After we got our food, that was the last time we saw her until we flagged her down 1/2 after we were finished. She didn't even clear the appy dishes off our table! There's an electronic button on the table to flag the waitress, but they cleared it from the screen and didn't even look at us. The food is great, but I can't handle terrible service - may not go back.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Sushi was really good and there was lots to chose from. They are only open til 9 and if you look closely the kitchen closes at 8 so you need to get there early. I got there about 10 to 8 and was asked to "hurry and order - sooner the better".