“Dirty & Lazy”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Arrived for drink & Sunday dinner at 12am. My partner went to the Loo to find them in discusting condition. Urine on floor, unflushed loos & generally unclean. Gents were the same. Oviously not been cleaned from Saturday night. Landlord looked hungover. Surly attitude. Served me a pint that had been in the pipes all night, my partner got a cranberry juice covered in mould. Changed it, no apology. Finished drinks Left. Wont be going back.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank graham335D

Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

We arrived and thought the place looked great! Really picturesque! We were welcomed in a strange manner and shown to the room! The bar had just closed so when we went down to ask for the Internet password we asked for a drink and were told not until the bar opens???? We went back to the room and made a coffee as we could not get any other refreshments! Unfortunately there was only enough for 1 cuppa each! The bed was broken and the metal head board was falling on top of us as we lay on the bed! Not good! We then went for a shower before tea which was tough as we only had one towel in a double room! We ate in the bar and this was a really nice meal (however we both pooly the next day but can't say 100% it was the meal)! We had a quick drink after tea and went to bed as we were going to alton towers the next morning and wanted to feel fresh! The hotel put paid to this as the outside smoking area was directly under our room and was extremely loud! As the guests started to leave around midnight I looked out to see people leaving and urinating by my car! Nice! The sleep we so were looking forward to was unexpectedly destroyed by a cockerel making the noise of a matching band at 04:20 and continued until it was time to get up! No pre warning of this necessary as they must have thought the surprise of it was much nicer! So we went to breakfast looking slightly dishevelled and worst for wear and I must admit my full English was really good! The lack of fruit juice and toast however not so good! My girlfriends bacon and sausage sandwich can only be described as sub standard and only fit to feed the friendly cockerel as mentioned earlier in my tale! So all in all I would not stay here again as I was seriously disappointed! Next time I'm hoping to book the bates motel and hope to be butchered in the shower instead!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 21, 2013

We booked to stay here for our long awaited short honeymoon as we could not get away any sooner and money was an issue. Getting there we walk into the bar area to everyone in there stop talking as we walked in. Bloke behind bar was a bit snotty and told us we could not check in till two, we said that was fine and got our drinks and sat down. Got to our room to find it so small we could not even walk round the bed. Dusty and very cramped. Toilet seat kept falling down. Fan extractor is so loud. Food at night was horrible, we wanted the belly pork as stated on there website but not on the menu. :-( sleep, didn't get any as the noise from outside as well as the people in the next room kept us awake. Bed very noisy as not good when its your honeymoon and the walls being paper thin. Breakfast was not bad but the sausages had gristle in them, only nice thing was the toast. I have done nothing but cry this weekend as its so upsetting that we wasted our money on this place and we called it our honeymoon. Won't recommend to anyone. :-(

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank kellyjayfreya
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Overall a great little Inn. Great location and 5 mins from Alton towers. Service was fantastic, a real local feel, great local beer as lovely food. They stayed open for us arrivingate from Glasgow, around 1130pm and stayed up to allow us a few beers.

Rooms were fine, but not amazing, but for the price you pay they are absolutely perfect.

If we were ever visiting Alton towers again we'd definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We had a superior double room for £69 B&B and it was spacious and comfortable. Service was a little slow at dinner due to staff shortages but this was explained and managed well. The bar was friendly (both staff and locals) serving well kept Marston's Pedigree and couple of other local ales, the Sauvignon Blanc could have been colder. The dinner was good: I had goats cheese to start - a large tasty cheese well cooked and served with a walnut and leaf salad and a balsamic reduction and my wife had pigeon breast. For mains I had sea bass on a seafood risotto and she had perch. It was all very well cooked and presented (except my wife's vegetables which were under-cooked, presumably die to the staff problem, but this was quickly rectified.).

Breakfast was excellent with good quality eggs, sausages and bacon and hot toast.

All in all we would definitely recommend the Crown for a quiet stay in an attractive part of the country.

Room Tip: Base on what other travellers have said about small rooms, I'd definitely say: "go for the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Crown is in the middle of an upmarket hamlet with its own car park. The room price of nearly £70 meant I was expecting something more than what it is , which is just quite a nice a pub with rooms, There is no reception and the room, although clean and reasonably modern was rather small with the double bed taking up 70% of the room space. Even as only a single occupant it felt cramped. Bathroom was also small but was modern and clean. Bed and bedroom furniture were flatpack type. I understand there are a couple of bigger 'superior rooms ' but presumably more expensive still.
Although in a rural setting it was not very peaceful due to Kitchen extractor fan being next to window, plus the very noisy bathroom fans and thin walls.
The pub itself is traditional with the usual modern update of leather sofas etc. Range of drinks is good with an excellent pint of Marstons Pedigree on handpump. The food menu was not very long but what I had ( Perch) was very good. On the website the dinner menu had a number of options below £10 but in reality there was only one . Also the wine list was lacking in a reasonably priced house wine with the cheapest bottle being £14.
Breakfast was freshly cooked with hot good quality coffee, something often not found in many hotels.
So some good and not so good points but as a general guide I would say that altogether the bill was about 20% more than I would normally expect to pay for this standard.

Room Tip: Try to get a superior room but without paying more.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 6, 2013

Good points:

- Short drive from Alton Towers
- Nice location

Bad points:

- Could do with a face lift
- Food not value for money or of a good standard
- Not many food choices for evening meals
- Difference between each of our portions at breakfast even though we ordered the same, as had ran out of sausages but failed to tell us before hand. Could have mentioned this before and offered an alternative

Very average stay - food held it back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Crown Inn? Share your experiences!