“Nice area, secluded remote, nice walks”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Alsop en le Dale
Rivendale Caravan & Leisure Park
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I visited Rivendale early May, the caravan and camping site was in a lovely old quarry , nicely set out, with different areas for different things such as camping, yurts, statics tourers.

Staff were pleasant, I wouldn't say they were over friendly or over helpful.

The restaurant and bar were closed except on weekends which it did state on the website that this was opening times for Low Season, I thought in May that they may be open, so I ate and drank off site all times, which required the car as a ten minute drive to Ashbourne and a 15 Minute drive to Buxton. Also not available for use was the eco spa/Jacuzzi another thing I think that would have contributed to the trip.

Cafe was open each day with a basic menu.

Site was kept clean and tidy at all times, I am sure the campsite when full and all facilities open is lovely, I just think I picked the wrong time to visit.

Overall a nice experience at Rivendale but just let down by lack of things open or available on site.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CHALKY54321
Gregpotter, Manager at Rivendale Caravan & Leisure Park, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Thank you for your review. Unfortunately, the hot tub had sprung a few leaks at the time of your visit, hence was out of action, for which please accept our apologies. Our cafe is open to both residents and non-residents 7 days a week 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The bar also opens on some mid-week evenings outside of the school holidays when there is demand for it. However, there are 3 pubs within a 2.5 mile radius of Rivendale which can be accessed by pubic footpath, without the need to drive to Ashbourne or Buxton - our apologies if we failed to point this out.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

We have just had a wonderful long weekend in the beautiful Olympia Lodge at Rivendale. It was a perfect holiday home for 6 adults. Spotlessly clean, incredibly stylish, comfortable and very well equipped. As a group of mixed ability cyclists it's ideally located for family cycling on the flat Tissington Trail and for road cyclists who aren't afraid of long steep hills.
We ate in the pub on-site two evenings and all enjoyed our meals and excellent service.
The staff at Rivendale are so helpful and welcoming, we felt as if we were seeing old friends after our stay here last October. We look forward to staying here again. Thank you Kim, Vicky and staff.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your kind words, they are much appreciated - we look forward to your next visit. Best wishes from all our staff.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Hi. Just back from rivendale. Stayed in the meadow with our tent and really loved the setting. I actually like the fact you can't take your car onto the meadow. It's covered in wild flowers and lush grass and all this would be turned over in no time. Besides the whole place feels more tranquil and less like a car park which i think is a big plus.The trips back and forth to ferry your kit is made a little easier by the fact it's slightly downhill when dropping off at your pitch.

Walks from the site are breath takingly beautiful and the Tissington trail is right on the door step.

Have read a few negatives about the loo block , yes it got muddy but what can you expect, it rained most days. The block is uni sex which was unusual and I would have preferred separate facilities but I got over it. Yes, they could do with a bigger pot wash but I can honestly say we neve queued once for it!

Staff were great. I had a flat battery the night before leaving and no number to call the RAC on me as my phone was also flat. A member of staff took me to the reception ( well after it was shut) flashed up the computer and got me the number, then gave me their phone to use and even popped mine on charge without me asking . She then said she would keep an eye out for the van and direct them to m car. Faultless service at a stressful time so thank you very much for that.

Kids loved the site and played in the wooded area in the meadow. They also loved the fields around the meadow with long grass and we played a game of (drop) hide and seek. Seriously funny when one minute they are running off in all directions only to disappear into the grass when some one shouted drop. They were practically invisible until one of them giggled once you were getting really close. happy days.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 24, 2013

from the moment I booked this place I just knew it would be great, but I never ever imagined it would be as wonderful as it was-just a perfect setting and the people working there are so lovely. We went here to go cycling on 5 of the trails and we were not let down, we stayed in a wooden yurt like a tiny log cabin and its was so so cute, It was warm but really could of been warmer but it was April so can't blame the site for how cold it was. The shower block was really nice and clean just a shame I walked the wrong way to start with-much to the amusement of the scouser!!!! You know who you are. lol lol The site is in a brilliant location for all the cycling tracks and the tissington trail, you must try the food as it really is lovely, we ate the steak pie on the first night and couldnt fault it-home made for sure. I can be honest and say I can not fault this place, I only wish we had booked the one with a log burner just to experience it,but there is always next time!!!! Thank you very much Rivendale we will def be back.

Room Tip: pick the wooden cabin-try and get the one with the log burner as its away from everywhere else.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank andfi
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I think the location is brilliant. However, a few issues hampered our stay. Firstly, the toilet block:- I cant understand why it is so far away from the camping pitches and close to the caravans. Poor weather and lack of a direct route there made us miserable. Toilet paper was not refilled and i was greatly disturbed by the cctv in there (for whatever reason.)
The shop and cafe are not great. Waited ages for service in cafe after ringing the bell, then ages for food (not really worth it) and instead of waiting again, went and found someone to pay. Shop was less than basic with food over two months out of date.
The thing that bothered us most was that in the heavy rain, we suffered a tent malfunction and had to sleep in the car. Why? I had wanted to leave and drive home but couldn't get out past the bollards that get put up between 9pm and 9am. Not good for early risers.

• Stayed: May 2013
Gregpotter, Manager at Rivendale Caravan & Leisure Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 22, 2013

I am very sorry you were disappointed by your stay. We do sell goods after their best before date - at a discount. We do not sell goods that have gone past their use by dates.
The toilets are cleaned and checked several times per day - but it is possible for a loo to run out in between these times . We have 25 on site so this is not usually too great an inconvenience. The CCTV does not intrude in the personal privacy of people using showers or loos. They are there to prevent vanadalism and abuse of the loos and protect users, particularly children. I am sorry to hear the problem you had with your tent, but the security bollards were no obstacle to your departure - our land rover, pick up & most cars fit between them - the clear width is displayed on a luminous sign next to them.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

I booked 2 camping pods, 1 standard & 1 family...for 3 adult females along with 6 young children, i requested them next to each other....i got exactly that!...at short notice, i rang & booked the eco hot tub...when rang, it wasnt available, however, after speaking to the manager of the site, he managed to move, clean & refill the hottub in 24 hrs ready for our stay, he was excellent! & very helpful, when we arrived we had our 2 cabins plus the hot tub all there ready & waiting for us. This was perfect!...the site pub was not serving food on the thursday night, even tho that was a little dissapointing....even the chef deserves a night off, so undeterred with that we drove into buxton & had our meal at the weatherspoons which was great and good value for money for the 9 of us...upon returning to our accomodation at Rivendale, the hot tub was bubbling away n the children had a ball playing in it for an hour or so....after we put them to bed, we (the 3 adults) settled into an evening in the hot tub with a couple of bottles of wine.....it was fantasic, with the twit twoo of the resident owl in the background & the open countryside we relaxed in the hot tub & had a very good giggle!!..& having to put fresh wood in the burner to keep it going created an excellent smell & crackle of burning wood which added to the ambience, all in all we paid £170 for 1 midweek night with a family & standard camping pod & hot tub, this was for 9 of us, average £18.88 each.... the kids loved it... the adults loved it & if Rivendale will have us back next year.....we will definetley be booking again :)) ....fantastic night! x

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Sam H
Reviewed May 12, 2013

we recently returned from rivendale from a 5 day cycling break. unfortunately the weather wasn't on our side and we were only able to do a decent ride once completing the Tissington trail which was enjoyable and longer than the 13 miles each way suggests! The staff were very friendly and gave us complimentary maps of the local trails. There had been a problem with the water but it was fine when we were there. We camped in pod 6 which was so peaceful and commanded a wonderful view. We were the only campers there through the week which was lovely. We were disturbed by a digger trying to excavate the car park area that the owners are hoping to develop into a hot tub and waterfall area. We appreciate that the owners came to apologise about the noise as soon as he was aware that the workmen were disturbing us and tried to arrange for the works to take place whilst we were out and about, which was very thoughtful. I'm sure once the works are finished it will be lovely, however i feel the quiet and privacy may suffer. The pods were ideal, we camp on a regular basis but really appreciated the warmth and dry of the pod in such poor weather,a real find and i only wish other campsites take the initiative! The water tap near the pods was not working and so a hike to the toilet block to fill the water butt was needed and my biggest gripe was that the toilet block is a reasonable walk and facilities closer to the pods and yurts would be much better. I look forward to returning to actually do some cycling and hope the hot tubs will be up and running

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alsop en le Dale
Ashbourne Heights Holiday Park
Longnor Wood Holiday Park
Peak District Spa
Peak District Spa
#2 of 2 in Alsop en le Dale

Been to Rivendale Caravan & Leisure Park? Share your experiences!