“Wonderful hotel, a delight”
Review of Callow Hall Hotel

Callow Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Mappleton
Reviewed July 9, 2009

I stayed two nights at Callow Hall recently. A great experience. The food was delicious, the staff attentive, and the room extremely comfortable. I can't speak too highly about this hotel under its new ownership.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adamcaro

Reviewed June 10, 2009

Callow Hall was our wedding venue only a few days ago and I feel compelled to write a review. That's saying something, considering I'm well traveled but never felt the desire to write a single review. I hope this will encourage others to visit Callow Hall and continue the success it already enjoys and rightly deserves.

We arranged our wedding at break neck speed (only 6 weeks notice) but Claire Hambleton, the Callow Hall manager, held our hand every step of the way. This included impartial advice regarding flowers, photographers, menus, etc, allowing viewings / appointments whenever we needed them and keeping the whole process bouyant and exciting. Her intuition reflected her significant experience in events management. Very comforting at what can often be a stressful time. We were given full flexibility over the choices of food and drink (not tied to restrictive 'packages' which is so common with other venues) and on the special day Clare and her extremely helpful and competent staff (a special nod to Charlie also) were constantly on hand.

We were all pampered (not just the bride and groom), the food was nothing short of award winning (we gave guests a choice of guinea fowl or salmon, both melted in the mouth), the service was professional, the surroundings a visual treat, and the hotel itself is elegant yet homely. The bridal suite (room name Dorothy) was pretty, romantic and spacious. All the guests congratulated us on finding such a perfect venue. And all this in 6 weeks and within a relatively tight budget. Somehow Callow Hall delivered a 5 star experience at a 3 star price without ever cutting corners. I want to thank Clare and all the staff at Callow Hall for making it such a special day for both of us. I look forward to returning, hopefully for our anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Williambailey76
Reviewed March 15, 2009

We have just got back from staying 1 night at Callow Hall and we were not disappointed. We went for my birthday and the hotel has beautiful views but is close enough to Ashbourne to walk to. (took us about 20 minutes). However what makes this hotel is the excellent food and service. Staff are very attentive and cant do enough to make sure your stay is enjoyable and the food is the best I have tasted in a long time. Service and timing of receiving each course was spot on considering the menu is 5 courses, food is presented well and tastes wonderful. Breakfast was equally good, full english breakfast is a must. We unfortunately dont have the opportunity to go away on our own very often but we would certainly consider going back to Callow Hall if we get the opportunity.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 7, 2009

I want to recommend The Callow Hall Hotel, in Mappington, just outside Ashbourne, Derbyshire. I arranged a special birthday party for my wife last week-end. Family and friends came in from abroad as well as from the U.K. Every aspect of the event was made perfect by the commitment, energy and professionalism of the manageress, Clare Hambleton, and her staff.

No matter of detail was too much trouble for Clare in respect of the arrangements for the party. Those guests who stayed at the hotel have raved about the quality of the accommodation, the friendliness of the staff and the outstanding food.

If you are in the area, (or are prepared to travel for that special occasion), I would not hesitate to give the highest plaudits to this hotel. The memories from last week-end will live with us forever.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2008

We found this hotel by chance whilst driving past and so decided to check in for the night. For the price of £150.00 i have to say I have stayed in better places but far worse as well.

First the positives!...

This is a lovely building set in beautiful grounds, with the staff very attentive but not stuffy (unlike the owner). Breakfast was delicious, hot and fresh using local produce.

Our room was clean(ish), and comfortable. Particularly liked the fact that Sky Sports was available in the bedroom as this is not always the case! Bathrobes, and Molton Brown toiletries were provided, along with the usual tea and coffee tray.

Callow Hall is still one those old fashioned family run establishments run by the Spencer family, and the front of house department is under the care of 'Mrs Spencer' whom the staff seemed to fear. Whilst obviously very proud of her hotel, it is obvious that she dislikes youngsters or business people, and very much preferred the middle age - middle class clientele.

As partner and I are aged 28 years of age, and I wanted to check in with work, we unfortunately fell in to the category of dislike! On one occasion I tried to connect to the WIFI network, which didn't work and didn't find the owner particularly helpful. She wasn't particularly impressed when I mentioned we were going to Alton Towers either!

Essentially I would recommend this hotel to those people who just want a country retreat, and don't want a branded and annonomous experience (such as hilton, or Ramada). Oh and don't take your lap top!

In short - my parents would love it, and would probably visit again

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed July 14, 2008

The Hotel is lovely, staff friendly, food good, location wonderful. HOWEVER, stay in the rooms in the back of the Hotel at your peril!! We stayed in "May", room 11. Windows on to a hedge, immediately above a refrigeration unit and the area where the empty bottles went to meet their maker. The room was so over filled with furniture you had to take turns to walk around!

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 9, 2008

I was expecting this to be a bit pretentious - both from their website and my first impressions but any leanings that way were overcome by the food - excellent and served in a relaxed and informal way. Even though the receptionist/owner commented that only 'businessmen' (not a term of endearment to her) were staying - I am a businessman - they recovered well and I would certainly go again, possibly not as part of my day job!

Stayed: February 2008
Also consider these accommodations in or near Mappleton
The Izaak Walton Hotel
#3 of 9 in Buxton
New Bath Hotel and Spa
New Bath Hotel and Spa
#2 of 3 in Matlock Bath

Been to Callow Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!