Review Highlights
Interesting Look Back

As with most National Trust properties it is very well maintained. Staff are helpful friendly... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
PapaYM
Wakefield, United Kingdom
Intricate plaster carvings, stunning staircase

The exterior of the house is less austere than others and interior has stunning carvings in plaster... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Anne G
Sheffield, United Kingdom

All reviews childhood museum national trust long gallery car park children's museum vernon family well worth a visit school room woodland play area grand staircase adventure playground all ages trip down memory lane childhood memories tea room lovely house gift shop
Selected filters
Reviewed May 18, 2019

Great place to visit. Lovely gardens and grounds. Great little shops and village. The house is amazing and plenty of history to read as you walk around.

Reviewed May 18, 2019 via mobile

The actual house is beautiful but it is lacking inside some NT love to be honest it is very bare and the guides were either rude or not interested. I was with my two year old and they moaned I put his rucksack on to walk down the stairs - there was nothing for me to damage (they could have offered to carry it!!) it isn’t a very flowing house I am not sure we saw it all.

1  Thank Andie_Reviews
Reviewed May 13, 2019 via mobile

Fantastic architecture, intriguing objects, lots of staff around to talk about the rooms. Can't fault our day out here.

Reviewed May 10, 2019 via mobile

Visited on a pleasant day in April. Plenty of parking spaces and a couple of minute walk down to the house. As the house was not yet open, we visited the museum which was a lot of fun. I would imagine people of any age would find something to interest them. The volunteers in this section were particularly friendly and knowledgeable. The bedrooms on the ceiling were a great novelty. A room guide who noticed I sat to get a better view gave us some more information. Apparently local children were asked what they should do with the space and that was their suggestion. Upside-down bedrooms, brilliant! I doubt s group of adults could have come up with such a good idea for the place.

After leaving the museum, we had a quick walk through the grounds which were pleasant. Nice to see families playing games such as frisbee on the grass. Bird treat making sessions were taking place in the boat house. The kids play park looked a lot of fun. If there hadn’t been so many children enjoying it, I might’ve been tempted to have a play myself. But no point embarrassing myself in front of so many people.

Got a cracking little baking cookbook from the gift shop. All recipes requiring 3 ingredients. Can’t wait to try a few out.

Lastly onto the house which was very interesting. We did rush the visit a little as had travelled quite some distance and had a couple of other places to see. Very much enjoyed our visit and would highly recommend visiting especially for families. Plenty for younger visitors to see and do.

Date of experience: April 2019
1  Thank 626hertaf
Reviewed May 9, 2019

It was a long walk from the car park, but there was a ride for the disabled. The home is interesting, but the museum is the highlight. There was enough to keep me interested and quite a wide variety.

Date of experience: April 2019