“Beautiful property”

Ranked #1 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Ilam
stansted
“Beautiful property”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights as a bit of a stop over on the way back from N.Yorks to London. Beautiful building and we had a lovely spacious family room. The kids (6 & 2) loved the games and lounge area and the local walks were great. We wished we could have stayed longer, so will deffinatly be back for a long weekend as not really that far from London (3hrs ish). The food was also good and plenty and of course good value.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ilammanager, Manager at YHA Ilam Hall, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Thank you so much for your lovely review of YHA Ilam Hall. I have passed all your comments onto the staff. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. Also thank you for uploading some lovely photographs of the place... looks like your kids had fun! Hopefully we will see you again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Fantastic value for money, friendly staff, great food which is also good value. The location is out of this world and I will definitely be staying again. No parking charges is you're a member of the national trust. It's close to Alton towers. Only negative is no mobile phone signal.

• Stayed August 2013
Thank you for your lovely review about YHA Ilam Hall. We are so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Ilam Hall. I have passed all your lovely comments onto the staff. The no phone signal is an issue for the staff.. it can add to the beauty of the place as you can switch off (literally). Hopefully we will see you again soon.
Sevenoaks
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I wanted to camp to save money but my wife found and booked this,,,,do you know what, she was absolutely right! A lovely building and grounds and we all would like to come back; however our stay was not without its problems.
We are a family of 5 so our room of 3 double bunk beds only contained us. Our room had a fabulous view of the church and grounds but I'd imagine the single-glazed arched windows might be a little chilly in the winter. Room and linen were clean, beds were firm but our ensuite bathroom loo failed to function and despite our complaint we were unable to secure a refund despite paying extra for this facility. In fairness, we were offered a new room but it would have meant moving 5 persons-worth of kit and caboodle and, to be honest after both parents having completed a triathlon earlier in the day, we really weren't that bothered.
My wife was bothered by the green light that stayed on all night and could not be turned off apparently, and she also struggled with the room key entry card system, though it seemed to work OK for me. The DIY kitchen was clean and functional and I for one in my post-tri-race hunger was very grateful for the choccy cake left behind by a previous resident emblazoned with "please steal" !! (If it was you; thanks very very much!).
The only other low was non-functioning tv's in the lounge which was a shame as we were all looking forward to Top Gear after a well-priced and wholesome supper. Breakfast was equally fab from our perspective and even my 3 fussy kids enjoyed both meals.
Bottom line: lovely building, grounds and staff, slight shame infrastructure not quite there at the moment.

Room Tip: Be aware you need to make and strip your own beds. Our room overlooked the church; fab, fab views.
1 Thank Andrew L
Thank you for your review about YHA Ilam. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us. I am sorry to hear you had a few issues during your stay. The TV's not functioning is a licencing issue to do with restricting channels, I have been informed that this will be resolved soon. I hope you ejoyed Alton Towers and the free choccy cake, and we look forward to seeing you soon.
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2013

its in one of the nicest areas you will find.we were very unlucky we stayed here on the 5 aug 13 nothing was working at all there .there were no tea/coffe in the hall as the machine was down .as was the vending machine .we had a evening meal which was just terrible because their freezer was broke too ? what we paid £ 40 for was a few horrid stale sandwhiches some hard pizza and we payed £90.00 for one night so its not cheap either there is no service there realy.but the worst is to come our pillow had a brown mess stuck to it .we just couldn't belive it our shower was infested with ants which they sprayed with pesticide that was so strong it nearly stopped us breathing as well.
ask before you pay for the food whats on the menu as its so poor at the fee of £9.95 each
get in the car and travel into ashbourne its only 15 mins away its a great little town with a few pubs all the food looked realy good parking is realy cheap there to.
there is a self serve kitchen I would say use that make your own food.
just 10 mins from alton towers if you like walking its in a fantastic place so pretty. we were unlucky we didn't expect the Hilton at all but we didn't expect that either

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ilammanager, Relief Manager at YHA Ilam Hall, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi, Thank you for your recent review of YHA Ilam Hall, I am sorry to hear that you had an unsatisfactory stay with us at the beginning of the month. I am lead to believe that it was a very unfortunate coinsidence that both the coffee machine and the vending machine where broken. We are still awaiting the parts to fix both these machines now, the walk in freezer is ok now, but again that was unfortunate that they all broke on the same weekend. Thank you for your comments regarding the food and bedroom/bathroom issues, this has been passed onto the relevant people and dealt with accordingly. I do hope this has not put you off using the YHA and its fantastic hostels in equally amazing locations to Ilam, Regards
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 9, 2013

A 1st class place to stay. Staff are so welcoming and informative, they cannot do enough to help. The restaurant is of a very high standard, we had better meals here than in many restaurants near by, at only a quarter of the cost. Rooms were fresh and clean and very quiet. Perfect location for a perfect hostel. We stayed in room 402 and cannot recommend it highly enough. A really fabulous place to stay and holiday. Faultless. We loved it

Room Tip: Rooms 401 and 402 are very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
ilammanager, Manager at YHA Ilam Hall, responded to this review, August 13, 2013
Hi, Thank you so much for your recent review of YHA Ilam Hall. I am so glad you had a 1st class stay with us at Ilam. it is a truely magical location with fantastic facitilites. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your meal with us at Ilam. We look forward to seeing you again soon... bring some sunshine with you.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

My family unit recently visited Ilam Youth Hostel. The staff were really unhelpful throughout. Immediately upon checking in a certain individual member of staff was very unhelpful. Then, when I required further assistance with a number of things putting right, again, this certain member of staff was unhelpful, arrogant and rude resembling a modern day female version of Basil Fawlty and I kept waiting for Manuel to appear alongside her. The food was appalling with minimal choice and not much of it; the salad consisted of half a dozen limp lettuce leaves and a few tomatoes. There was no garlic bread out as the meal that night was lasagne and garlic bread. So I asked a serving member of staff for some garlic bread to which he replied with a dead pan face and I quote,"there is no rush", - how rude - yes, there is a rush as I want the garlic bread with my meal... and I was lucky to even get some lasagne as some of our party did not even get a meal as they had run out. The rooms were filthy with smelly drains in the bathroom which stank of rotten eggs, which made the whole sleeping area stink - which is always nice to greet you after a day out walking. To sum it up - fantastic surroundings of which there is no doubt, BUT, filthy, tired rooms; poor, tasteless food; unhelpful, obnoxious, arrogant and untrained staff lacking any people skills and with no management back up. All in all, don't bother.
And yes before any one can say anything, yes I have stayed in a few different youth hostels and have had a very happy stay but this has put me off ever doing it ever again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Hi We are really sorry that you didnt enjoy your stay with us earlier this month. All your comments have been passed onto the relevant people to help ensure this level of customer service does not happen again. I am also sorry to hear about the way you were responded to with regards to the lack of Garlic Bread on offer, this has been dealt with. Thanks for your review, all of your points made have been taken on board and dealt with, Regards
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Ilam hall is set in amazing grounds. It is a comfortable walk to the stepping stones at Dovedale even with young children. The hostel has good facilities. its clean, serves good food. We had a private family ensuite room with shower. I loved it. I will be using my tesco vouchers to go back.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Hi, Thank you for your recent review on YHA Ilam Hall. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay with us at Ilam Hall. We look forward to hearing from you soon regarding your next adventure to YHA Ilam Hall...
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ilam
The Izaak Walton Hotel
#5 of 19 in Buxton
YHA Eyam
YHA Eyam
#2 of 2 in Eyam

Been to YHA Ilam Hall? Share your experiences!