“Pleasant food but disappointing service”
Review of The Fox at Willian

The Fox at Willian
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fox at Willian is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Willian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Gastro Pub with the best food in the whole area.
Watford
“Pleasant food but disappointing service”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Based on other reviews I decided to go here for a lunchtime treat during a week off work. I booked two days in advance and it was easy to get through by phone and to book the time I wanted. The member of staff I spoke to was friendly and helpful and it was easy to find the pub based on the website's directions.

When we arrived I ordered mussels to start, followed by fish and chips and accompanied by the house white wine, which was excellent. I really enjoyed the fish and chips too. They were good value for money and well presented. Also, the fish was well cooked and I was impressed by the mushy peas infused with truffle. This was a good dish and I was pleased I chose it.

However I have to say that both of us were extremely disappointed with the service. We arrived shortly after another couple and were seated around the same time. I noticed that whilst the staff offered to take their coats, we were not offered the same service. Then when their mussels arrived they were offered bread to accompany it whilst I had to call the waitress over to ask. We waited a long time after finishing to have our dishes collected, whilst theirs were collected quickly and they were given a dessert menu. I don't know if this was because of where we were sat or because of the member of staff that was serving, but it was certainly noticeable.

Worst of all was the fact that after the first two courses staff just seemed to forget about us and the tables around us as well. They were rushing in and out of the restaurant to take food through to the bar without once looking up to see if anyone needed serving. It was a though customers in the bar took precedence after a certain time. After waiting with our menus for twenty minutes we decided we could do without dessert and coffee, and found someone to ask for the bill (which included a tip rather than leaving it to diners' discretion). This is not a pub I will visit again.

2 Thank cocochadwick
GuestRelations05, Guest Relations Manager at The Fox at Willian, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to review your visit and are disappointed, like you, that our service did not meet with your expectations. There are issues that we would like to discuss with you. Can you please let the Manager have your contact details at your earliest convenience. With grateful thanks and apologies once again.

North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Wonderful as usual”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is the second time I've been to The Fox; this time for my birthday. The menu was great - really varied making it difficult to choose (never a bad thing). We ended up going for starters of smoked salmon and mackerel. So yummy, a great sized portion and really well presented. I also had a half bottle of Gewurztraminer (literally one of the most fantastic wines I have ever had and apparently very difficult to source as my internet research the next day told me!) with my partner having an amazing red. Mains wise I had the duck whilst my partner had the venison. Again, absolutely superb. We both had the salted hazelnut parfait which we had both been drooling over on the menu - did not disappoint!! Service was great - waiter was attentive but not in your face and was really chatty when we spoke to him. I couldn't recommend this place more - the food and atmosphere is lovely, you aren't rushed and although more than a lot of other restaurants, it is worth every penny and more. My partner and I have agreed to come every year as we want to try all of the seasonal menus.

Saxmundham, United Kingdom
“The best sandwich!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Called in for lunch while staying at Mercure Letchworth. Lovely pub, great atmosphere. The sandwiches were to die for, a little expensive, in fact more expensive than the Mercure. BUT they were gorgeous so were worth it. Great quality ingredients and so fresh.

Visited November 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal and friendly service.”
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Had a lovely meal here,all three courses were delicious.Had the mussels for the starter big portion,hubbie had pigeon cooked to perfection.The menu was varied and everything the four of us ordered was well presented.Was not rushed between courses,staff were attentive but left us to enjoy our meal.Decor modern, light and airy.Enjoyed the whole experience and will be back.

Stevenage, United Kingdom
“Over Priced and Average Service”
Reviewed November 14, 2013 via mobile

Had lunch food was ok but over priced for burger and chips and fish n chips although hot and tasty and presented well , starters were just ok mussels and chicken parfait.
Service on the other hand was poor to average the guy at the bar with a strong accent was more interested in the locals than serving, left the the others run the bar area. Waited to long for starters to clear and mains.
The place has no atmosphere and not overly welcoming no idea why it's as popular as it we won't be returning

Visited November 2013