“Three Nights in Northumberland”
Review of Bay Horse Inn

Bay Horse Inn
Cuisines: British
Reviewed May 22, 2019

We stayed at the Bay Horse as a base for exploring the border area. one day we went to Kelso via Otterburn and Jedburgh,one day to Bellingham (nearby) and walked up to the Hareshaw Linn waterfall and the other day we went to Hexham. It is without doubt a nice comfortable country pub, the meals were fine as was the room.
The only criticism i could make was that the shower in our room (no.4) was cramped.

Date of visit: April 2019
Write a reviewReviews (80)

Reviewed May 17, 2019

Staying in the area for a wedding and decided to have an early meal. The Bay Horse was recommended by our b&b so arrived there around 5 pm to a very busy pub. The main menu didn't start until 6.30 pm and discovered the chef didn't either so only snack menu available. Vicky the bar lady was very welcoming and accommodating. We were disappointed we couldn't sample the amazing burger but I had chilli and my husband had pork & stuffing baguette, both came with home cut chips. Vicky was amazing. Serving everyone with drinks while juggling our food in the kitchen and meeting guests who were staying at the pub, all with a joke and a smile, was no mean feat. Really enjoyed our evening I could have stayed all night. There is a separate restaurant area open in the evening. The food was delicious and plentiful and the ambience delightful. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: May 2019
1  Thank happyholidaymaker48
Reviewed April 15, 2019 via mobile

Stopped off while passing through for a late breakfast.
Received a very warm and friendly welcome even though they'd finished serving breakfast they were happy to accommodate us. Excellent food, reasonably priced.
We would definitely return.

Reviewed April 14, 2019

We ate here during a 2 night stay in the accommodation. There was an impressive vegetarian menu for the size and location of the pub, although I ate the broccoli bake and it contained precisely no broccoli. My sister ate the sweet potato curry and was very impressed with it; so much so that she had it again the second night. For me, the food was bland and basic, but the staff were great - very helpful and friendly. The prices are about average for pub food.

1  Thank Sam G
Reviewed September 7, 2018 via mobile

We found this pub by chance it were very pleased with the discovery.

It is an traditional free house pub with a gaggle of regulars at the bar, a restaurant as well as bar meals and friendly staff. It also clearly welcomes the range of road users including bikers and HGV drivers.

It has ramped access for wheelchairs although I didn’t see a accessible toilet.

The menu has a traditional feel but this does not mean it is not worth trying. The meals we had, and the ones we saw go out, were all good portions, well cooked and well presented.

I was especially pleased because I have been doing Slimming World and found their sea food platter a great meal for me as part of my plan.

There was also a small but varied vegetarian menu.

We will stop here again when we are heading to Edinburgh as you also have the bonus of driving on an interesting and enjoyable road.

Good pub, good vibe, good food.

Date of visit: September 2018