“Really poor”

Cuisines: Barbecue, British, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Went here for a family meal on a Sunday late afternoon. It wasn't busy however after ordering it took about 45 minutes to get our food. When it arrived it looked and smelled great but had no taste at all. Great location, poor food.

3  Thank si101London

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Given this place too many chances...too many times have I been let down. Firstly, this place is not a pub. First clue: the seating, more Catholic School dining hall, judging by the rigid seating and close-quarter tabling on offer, than cosy boozer. Next up is the pricing: where are the dependable (cheap) house wines? How can a standard (smallish) burger be worth twelve quid when it's served on driftwood with piddly extras?
Moreover, where is the warm welcome, the homely smile from the bar staff, the feeling you've arrived at the right place? Absent. All absent.
This place has location coming out of its ears, what it doesn't have is the common sense to match that location with the appropriate food and booze (and pricing) to make you happy to be there.

7  Thank Stablemates
Reviewed September 16, 2012

We had to wait a long time for our food and when it arrived it had to go back as it was cold. You can sit outside by the river which is nice but unfortunately the poor food and service means we will not be returning

Reviewed September 3, 2012

pub is in a great location, overlooking the river with plenty of seating, inside is cosy and had some good beers available, menu was limited and expensive, portions were small and not presented in the best way possible, the taste of the food was bland, can think of lots of ways to spend that sort of money at better places in the area, which is what i will do next time

1  Thank steve c
Reviewed August 27, 2012

The Anglers is right on the Thames at Walton on Thames in a lovely setting, and that's why they feel they can charge a little bit more for their food, well fair enough, I wouldn't mind that if it was worth it, but my husband had a rather chewy t-bone steak for £18 and I had a fish pie for £14. The steak was served on a wooden board, which I know is 'a la mode', but is not really suited if you're having sauce and I'm not convinced on the hygiene. My fish pie admittedly had loads of fish and prawns, but there were also no vegetables within (or without) and a thin layer of sliced potato on top which did not better the more traditional mash topping one bit. There was a strong seafood smell which I'm always a bit nervous of (the result of which was unfortunately 'realised' later back at home - apologies for too much information!) The large shelled prawn on top was left untouched as were the ones WITHIN(??) the pie because I didn't have a finger bowl and was put off because of the aforementioned smell. It's not that I wouldn't go back as it is a lovely spot and I recommend it highly on a sunny day, but I think I will just have a drink or two and eat elsewhere next time - maybe next door at The Swan?