“Good pub grub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Found this place by accident at the end of a long day and were pleasantly surprised – Fairly 'by the numbers' family friendly pub food offering a wide menu, but lovely and clean, friendly staff and very tasty food at a reasonable price – Heartily recommend the Pork Belly, certainly the best I've ever had the pleasure of!

Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed next door in the Travel Lodge for this last week. This pub is attached and has good car parking at the rear. I have ate 4 times in this place and had a different thing every night. Very well priced and varied menus. As an ale pub they broadcast the offer to try before you buy :) this saves supping a pint you are not really enjoying. The bar can be poorly staffed at times but with the recent hot weather maybe staffing is not easily adjusted. The waitresses/waiters are a bit slow and have forgot how to smile which is a shame. However if you are staying or just passing you will be hard pressed not to find something from the menus you like and enjoy !

1  Thank michael_ludwell
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I came here with my grandmother for Sunday lunch and the service was terribly slow, my nan's steak was cremated and my roast chicken was so dry and disappointing. Despite this, the staff are very friendly and a great place to go for a drink or food when it's not busy. Great in the winter when they have the log fires going.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

Went here for a meal here and ordered chicken from the menu. When the Chicken came out it was Chicken thigh, even though the menu clearly said it was breast. I raised this with the waitress, who cool as a cucumber said "that is chicken breast".... Well unless they had gone all Heston on me and taken a chicken breast, coloured it brown and wrapped it around an old chicken bone then there was no way this was a chicken breast. I asked to see the manager and 5 minutes later met a rather nervous young lad..... I asked if he was the manager and he said he was the supervisor as the manager was not working today..... He advised that the meal comes like that from the supplier so it's not their fault and would like another one? Will it be a breast this time I asked..no, they are all the same he said........ then why would I want another dish the same as the one I am complaining about!!!!! Anyway, long story short.... we didn't get anywhere and we ended up going to another pub...

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Avoid!!!
My family visited here for Sunday lunch in February. We waited over an hour for our food - feeling unable to complain as we had already witnessed the manager shouting at en elderly customer - when our food arrived my chicken was cold. Not even warm! I could not eat this so told the manager who took my plate away and microwaved my lunch, I know this because the piece I had tasted was missing from the chicken. My partners fishcakes were soggy and my daughters vegetarian meal was cold. The waiter and waitress were clearly fed up with having to listen to customers complaints, and I dont blame them, whilst the manager tried to make himself scarce!!! I wrote to head office who asked my for my phone no. so the manager could speak to me. I told them I did not feel able to talk to the manager and was informed that in that case the area manager would call me. 1 month later, having heard nothing, I called head office and the area manager called me the next day. I missed his call but have since left him 2 answerphone messages and have still heard nothing!!!!