All reviews great golf cabot cliffs pro shop golf course golf experience public house two courses bucket list the pub cape breton floor to ceiling windows nova scotia world class golf panorama restaurant north america tee times heated floors
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We had previously stopped by to investigate this new golf course and so my husband was returning this time to play. So, I had 4 hours to enjoy what it had to offer. Staff are excellent -reception, pro shop, gift shop and 19th hole bar. Wide and fast wifi availability. Good indoor and outdoor eating / drinking facilities with very nice furniture. Food Menu and drinks menu was excellent. I enjoyed the Lobster Pot Pie and also ordered a Rhubarb Martini. My only suggestion would be that as they have a good selection of cocktails on offer, that the bar man learn how to dress and present them. One plain Martini glass containing liquid contents plus one cocktail stick with 4 dried cherries is totally insufficient for the international clientelle who will expect more for their $13 and cocktail experience. Cabot Links you can do better than this !

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Thank you for joining us here at Cabot again and I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit even without hitting the links!

I would like to extend my sincere apologies over your cocktail experience as we do take a great deal of pride in our F&B program. We will have a look at how to better the overall cocktail experience but we'll tackle the rhubarb martini first as I agree, it needs some work.

Please get in touch with me directly upon your return and we'll taste you through the new additions.

Thanks again.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I just returned from 4 days and nights at Cabot Links and loved every minute of my time there.

We arrived Tuesday evening after driving down from Halifax. After checking in to our room and storing our clubs with the golf staff we went for dinner in the coolest 19th hole I have been in. With floor to ceiling windows fronting the 18th green literally a few feet away, we enjoyed a wonderful meal of skillet roasted haddock and watched the afternoon's players chipping and putting out on the final hole. I liked the setting and the food so much I enjoyed 8 meals there over our 4 day stay. Excellent menu selections for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Priced fairly for a destination resort.

The scenery is brilliant and the seabirds and occasional Bald Eagle sighting adds even more to the setting.

The hotel is euro-contemporary, rooms are sleek and efficient with huge windows and heated floors in the bathroom. The exterior of the hotel room doors are adorned with famous quotes from the golfing world, a nice touch.

Service is ranges from pretty good to excellent... Thanks Natasha!

The Pro Shop has lots of nice things. I bought a couple of keepsakes and a Galvin Green gortex jacket that came in very handy duRing the one rainy day of our stay... Worth every penny!

The course is incredible. It is truly a links course, you may think you are in Ireland, I could not get over how much it reminded me of the UK links courses that I have played.

For a course that has only been opened since July of 2012 it is in amazing condition. It plays like an established course and drains brilliantly. We had a day of rain in the middle of our stay and you would badly know it had rained for a full day the day after... Except for the wt sand in the bunker. The grounds crew does an exceptional job and were out in full force the day after the rain grooming the bunkers and tidying the stone paths. Very impressive.

The caddie program is a welcome treat at this walking only course, with its weaving links layout and many blind shots. We had a great Caddie during our first round and I will credit Brian with making my day even better than I was expecting. He was wonderful at reading the greens and the wind. His directions and advice on where to aim the ball off the tees and in the fairways were truly appreciated.

Our second day was a bit different, we had asked the Pro Shop staff for a second Caddie to join our foresome as we had enjoyed Brian's company so much, and were told it would be no problem, but when our tee time arrived there was only one Caddie available to us and he was not quite as experienced as Brian. He was not as helpful as expected. In hind sight I should have asked him to be a fore-caddie and not carry a bag, simply rake the traps, give advice and read the greens for the group.

Caddie fees are $60 for class A and $45 for junior caddie or class B plus gratuity. Caddies here carry only one bag. Rickshaw carts are included in your green fee and are very nice to have on a windy day. I would recommend a caddie, at least for your first round.

One of the coolest things about this course is that you are allowed to push your cart across the putting surface instead of walking all the way around what are huge greens. The sand based course stands up very well to the traffic and is in beautiful condition.

The starter will try to convince you to play the 6000 yard Silver Tees, but the Green Tees at 6400 yards are quite manageable and enjoyable even if they play more like 6700 yards.

There is a second course under construction and I will be returning to play here again as soon as I can get some free time to do so.

Excellent course, lovely hotel and a really enjoyable experience!

1  Thank Daytripp-r
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Thank you for the detailed response and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time in Inverness. We'll look forward to having you back with us before too long!!

Best,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

I am not a golfer but I enjoyed my brief stay at this resort. This resort is located on a stunningly picturesque links golf course in Inverness, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Beware, the resort is at least a four hour drive from Halifax but well worth it if you are a golfer. I had to attend a business meeting taking place at this resort. The meeting facilities are limited but my group wanted to attend because of the golf. The service at the meeting was excellent. The resort staff did everything possible to ensure that our meeting was successful.

The food at the resort was reasonably good and the restaurant has a very extensive wine cellar.

What I truly enjoyed was the architecture of the resort and the minimalist room decor.

There are a few decent restaurants in the area, including the restaurant at the Glenora Distillery.

If you do stay at the Cabot Links Resort you should spend sometime walking on the local Inverness broadwalk. It is well maintained and the views are stunning.

• Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank DeirdreWade
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write and I am glad to know that your group enjoyed their time here for the past few days. I am glad you got to test out the conference facilities overlooking the 18th green and the water. I will certainly look for more feedback from your group contact but I thought it went quite well. I do, however, hope the views from there were not as distracting as they are from my office!

With so much emphasis on the golf, our architecture and rooms are often overlooked. It is great to see non-golfers join us here in Inverness and come away with a great experience. As we add activities and incorporate more of our natural surroundings into our Adventure Program, this place will become an amazing destination for just about everyone. Stay tuned!

Thanks again,

Reviewed July 29, 2013

My son and I played Cabot on Friday evening (July 26th). As I am a big fan of golf architecture and links golf, I was in heaven. I was a member at Crowbush on PEI (an incredible course, in and of itself) for 3 years and it is amazing the contrasts between it and Cabot. As you know, one of the objectives of Crowbush was to provide a links experience, but, between the bent grass "through the green" and the frequent irrigation, it is for the most part an "in the air golf course", perhaps with the exception of numbers 10 and 15 (both great holes). But Cabot seems to have achieved the links experience by allowing shots along the ground, encouraging the golfer to use the terrain to get close to the centre of the fairway and close to the pin locations. To see fescue grass used throughout was quite enlighterning for me - and it works - as it is likely quite natural and hardy within the Gulf-side ecosystem upon which the course was built.

The staff, particularly the starter and Caddie Neil, went well beyond our expectations. Both delivered great service and shared their quite pleasant and interesting and interested personalities. I also had the opportunity to play with a "well travelled" golf course aficionado from the US who has played most of the great links courses in Scotland. He was quite appreciative of Cabot, the landscape around it, the overall beauty of the Maritimes and the people of our region.

The best part of the day for me was how excited my son was (13 and still a sometimes reluctant golfer) both during and following the round. He enjoyed and began to see the value of great golf architecture in the same way I did almost 40 years ago when I first visited Highland Links in Ingonish.

Thanks to all who have brought Cabot to reality. Its opening will not stop me from returning to play the links in Scotland someday but it will allow me to confortably delay it for a few more years. Cabot is a truly great links golf course.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank Blair W

Thank you for the tremendous feedback and I am happy that you enjoyed your time with us. There have been many great people involved in this project from the start and it is people like Neil and the rest of the staff that work here that make the experience here so great. I do hope that you make it over to Scotland before too long but please know that you are always welcome here at Cabot!

Thanks for making the trip.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 28, 2013

I have never been to a true links course. Took up golf 5 years ago. My friend suggested this new course. Situated on St Lawrence Bay in northern Nova Scotia. A great experience. The hotel rooms are very modern and clean. A couple of restaurants with good food in a town that seems like this new neighbor would be welcome by some and resented by others. A little hard to reach by plane, nearest airport is 2 hours away. Worth the visit especially if you are in the area.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you for joining us at Cabot and we are happy that your first Links experience was a good one! We hope to see you again next season!

Best regards,