All reviewsgreat golfcabot cliffspro shopgolf coursepublic housegolf experiencebucket listthe pubtwo coursesnova scotiacape bretonfloor to ceiling windowsnorth americaheated floorstee timespanorama restaurantpebble beach
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our group of eight has travelled twice to Cabot Links. The first time was when there was just ten holes and last fall we payed a full 18. Half of our crew has made the pilgrimage to Bandon Dunes on a number of occasions. I am not in that camp but my friends who have been to both say that Cabot's Course is every bit of Bandon with 1/4 the the time to get there.

Allegedly Ben Cowan Dewar ( The Course Developer ) has decided to add another course. Us East Coasters are in for a treat to be so close to such an extraordinary spot. Bravo to Ben Cowan Dewar and his passion to offer up Bandon Dunes East!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write! I thank you for your kind words and look forward to seeing you here at Cabot again soon. the 2nd course, Cabot Cliffs, is taking shape and will be an incredible addition to a great spot!

Thanks again,

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just visited Cabot Links for the first time this past weekend, I’m still in awe.

My mother and I traveled up to Cape Breton for a little golf getaway – Cabot Links being the primary reason we chose Nova Scotia.

I’ll start with accolades for the staff. I knew the staff was going to be outstanding even before we left home. I had corresponded with Kherri to reserve the room, tee times and dinner reservations – she set the tone for which I knew would be a knowledgeable, professional, friendly staff.

From the moment we stepped on the property, every single staff member we met greeted us with a warm smile and friendly words. They couldn’t wait to talk about Cabot Links and what they loved about the course/restaurants/hotel. I wish I could name each staff member personally, from reception, to the Pro Shop, to the Pub and snack shack – each one was really wonderful and enhanced our visit. I always enjoy a location where the staff love their jobs, and they clearly did.

We arrived late in the afternoon, and on our first night we had a light dinner in Cabot Bar. Beautiful space and phenomenal view of the course. We enjoyed our wine while watching a few foursomes finish up on the 18th hole. We started off with the Caesar salad – best Caesar salad I have ever had. We ordered our dinner, and the waiter suggested we may want to try the chowder, his favorite. We’re from New England – we know good chowder – the chowder was beyond delicious – heaping full of fresh lobster, scallops, etc – was more than enough for a meal. We enjoyed dinner the 2nd night in the newly opened Public House. It was just us and a few locals watching a hockey game – great pizza and another great salad. Our server graciously answered our many, many questions on life in Inverness. We had a total of four meals at Cabot – all outstanding.

We stayed in a Deluxe Double on the 2nd floor – while we did not have a balcony, we still enjoyed breathtaking views. The beds were very comfortable and the room was clean, spacious, beautifully decorated and had every amenity needed. The décor is fresh and modern, with a hint of tradition – I loved our room.

The pro shop was filled with great merchandise, ranging from inexpensive to extravagant and everything in between. Our suitcases were a bit heavier thanks to some new Cabot Links gear. We both enjoyed talking with Ryan Hawley, the Head Pro and hope to send lots of golfers his way.

The golf: The course was amazing. While I’ve not played Bandon Dunes, to which Cabot has been compared, I have been to Ballybunion and Lahinch in Ireland and Pebble Beach. Cabot absolutely competes. In my very unimportant opinion, Pebble Beach was very "blah" compared to Cabot -- most courses will probably feel that way now though. I played 54 holes in about 26 hours – and wish I could have played more. We opted to take push carts instead of caddies and enjoyed finding our way around the course and I stopped along the way to take tons of photographs. Each hole was more breathtaking then the next. (I was thrilled to learn there will be a spa opening within the year – that would have been a plus after walking 36 holes the first day in a howling wind. ) Overall we lucked out with weather our entire visit – 60’s, a mix of sun and clouds with a sprinkle here and there. Perfect golf weather.

I shared my many photos with my golfer friends/family who have travelled all over to play the greatest courses in the world… and even by the photographs they could tell Cabot is something great.

Inverness has something really special. I feel honored to have snuck in before Cabot Links becomes much more popular, which it no doubt will.

I can not wait to go back and will absolutely visit again once Cabot Cliffs ( and the spa) are complete.

2  Thank UpstateTrav
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

This was a pleasure to read. Your detailed feedback will be shared with our staff and I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience here. We are trying to make this the best place to work on the planet and it is great to hear that you could sense our staff are truly proud to work here. Thank you for writing and thank you for sharing your opinion - it is far from unimportant in our books. We look forward to having you back so please get in touch when you can make it.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Why go to Scotland for a links game of golf when you can go to New Scotland(Nova Scotia) Inverness on the Cabot Trail. The ocean, wind, pot bunkers, fescue, caddies, excellent dinner, superb sunsets to end the day while strolling on the beach past picturesque coves of colourful lobster boats at anchor before heading to rest at 5 star accommodations. This is the best links course in Canada and would rank with the best in the world. When the next adjoining course is finished it will be a must destination golf place. Staff are excellent to make your stay or golf a bonus. Take Neil the caddie and experience play like a pro. I had a birdie on the par 3 tough 14th.

Dear Mr. Taylor,

Thank you for your feeback and we are very glad that you were able to make the trip. It was a pleasure to have you with us and we hope to see you at cabot again soon. Congrats on the bird!!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Spent 48 hours here in late May of this year... while we missed the weather we’d hoped for (most of Canada is hit-or-miss in the springtime), the appeal of the early season at Cabot Links is great value for the money in low season, and 16+ hours of daylight in which to get your fix in.

The sum of the experience is five-star all the way. Yes, it’s new, so the course isn’t immaculate yet. What I loved the most was the humility and finesse of the entire operation. A lot of ‘dream golf’ is excessive; manufactured drama in the golf, overly high-touch customer service, huge menus and wine lists, and unwanted service inclusions that are exhausting. Props to Cabot Links for embracing the quaint, highland charm of Inverness and Cape Bretoners, and building an operation that honours those values. Those expecting heavily signed and landscaped entry gates or white-glove service in the restaurant are missing the point.

The golf course is terrific, with by my count 11 truly standout holes, and the caddie program is great; locals inspired by the project who are doing their best to help make Cabot a success for their town. The architecture of the rooms, the restaurant, and the pub are modest and self-aware, the service is simple and unobtrusive, the food’s excellent, and the views are staggering.

A 2nd course is coming (likely in 2015), on an amazing 650-acre tract of cliff-top property just north of town. Give it 2-3 years and Inverness will be share the stage with Bandon / Monterey as the dream golf getaways in North America.

Room Tip: Views are better from the 2nd floor.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Wow! Thank you so much, not only for the very kind words, but also for making the trip. Many people from this little town are working very hard to make this project the best that it can be. I will share this with the team and I know they will be overjoyed with the feedback. Thank you for writing.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We arrived barely a week after the place opened for the season (they had been snow blowing one of the greens 2 weeks earlier). The reception was excellent and we were given room upgrades because it was quiet. The regular rooms were great and the upgrades even better. High ceilings, a soaking tub, large shower and balcony. Andrew from marketing was particularly welcoming. The scenic course is an authentic links design but the greens were a little rough this early in the season but over time should become very challenging. Note that there are no electric carts so a caddie or course book are helpful for the many blind shots. Also there is no driving range. We look forward to going back. A pub will open soon with a local brew Big Spuce on tap, don't miss it!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thank you for joining us at Cabot and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay! We are working hard on all of the details here in our first full season here at Cabot and I am sure that our staff will be delighted with your feedback - I will be sure to share it!

The Cabot Public House, complete with two great offerings from our friends at Big Spruce, will be open on Friday, May 24th. Please let me know when you make it back this way and we'll be sure to raise a glass with you!