“Exceeded all Expectations!”
Review of Cabot Links Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Inverness
Cabot Links Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Inverness
Toronto, Canada
“Exceeded all Expectations!”
Reviewed September 3, 2012

From the moment you arrive at Cabot Links, you know right away you are experiencing something special. The course itself is spectacular and despite its infancy, is already in tremendous shape. One of the things I love most about this place is the sense of pride that the staff take. Many are from the town of Inverness and it is their pride and ownership that really resonates with the guests.

Those who opt for lodging are spoiled by a view overlook both the course and the ocean. Rooms are immaculately clean, modern and comfortable - a great place to put your feet up after walking 18 or 36 holes.

Panorama (the course's restaurant), just like the course, is on a whole other level. The sunset view, with a glass of Pinot in hand will make anyone want to hit pause. The food is absolutely outstanding and I challenge anyone to find better food in Nova Scotia. We ate there three consecutive nights and every meal was impeccable.

Cabot Links is a location I plan on returning to for years to come.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank 314Brad

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The gof course is certainly spectacular and will continue to improve as she ages properly. I would go for there for the golf alone!! The people who work there are friendly and very helpful and the waterfront scenery is great!

The"resort" however is not really a resort. There is a hotel/motel with great views of the course and the water, great beds and great bathrooms but there are no other resort style amenities. The signage to find the place is barely there, resulting in a lot of confusion as to where the lobby, proshop and restaurant are located. (we pulled into the employee parking lot and apparently a lot of others have done so as well!) The food in the dining room and bar is very good, but the decor is absolutely minimalist. It will certainly not appeal to everyone and reminded me of my school cafeteria. I am for modern design but not at the sacrifice of comfort.

The biggest problem as I see it is the lack of a general area to congregate with your buddies after a round of golf. The bar area is very small and not really conducive to a warm cozy get together. There is no other lounge area, no couches or a fireplace. The only option is the restaurant or the small bar area or you meet in someone's room. There is an outside area which is okay in good weather. The lobby is very small with no couches and has only a single unisex bathroom which was being waited for by three women off tee#6 when we arrived. Apparently bathrooms are limited in the resort and on the course.

The town is definitely not a resort town and has clearly gone through hard times since the mine closed but the people are some of the friendliest we have met and I really hope that Cabot Links will bring some prosperity back to this town. Inverness beach is beautifu and well known for the sea glass you can collect at low tide. Check out some of the small restaurants and pick up a lobster sandwich in town! The food is not fancy but good and inexpensive!

Overall, we loved the course, but were not inspired by the "resort". We went from there to the Keltic Resort for two nights and played Highland Links. There is simply no comparison!! Keltic offers spectacular views, a great choice of rooms that are large and comfortable, several bars and restaurants, the best seafood chowder we have had in Nova Scotia, plenty of lounge areas, a pool, tennis, and did I mention the spectacular views!!! I enjoyed our round of golf at Highland Links every bit as much as Cabot Links and perhaps a little more!! Did I mention the fabulous views!! It would be a huge mistake to go to Cape Breton for golf and not go to Highland Links and stay or have lunch at Keltic Lodge! It would also be a huge mistake to miss Cabot Links!! They are both great courses and to miss either course would be a mistake.

Room Tip: get a room with a balcony!!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
I am thrilled that you enjoyed your experience overall and especially, the golf. Your feedback about some of the other areas of our Resort was taken into account and I feel we have made some incredible improvements in all areas.

Our first year, although great, was certainly a challenge. Not opening until June 29th with many of our rooms coming online in August, there was admittedly, a few things left to be desired. We have been working on all of these things throughout the last few months and I would like to address a few of your points in hopes that you will decide to visit us again.

We are working on completing a signage overhaul here at Cabot, endeavouring to have more signage along the roadway so we are more easily identified. We have added signage to Reception, the Pro Shop and to the Course in general, as well as the Restaurants in hopes of making things more straightforward, for everyone.

The minimalism of the dining space and Clubhouse area is probably the most drastic change you will see upon return. The Clubhouse, once quite cool, minimal and stark, has transformed over the winter. Our guests will be welcomed into a room that is warm and inviting, filled with colour and texture - I can barely believe it myself. A new colour scheme, a comfortable lounge area with added banquette seating and the addition of new windows in what was the old Pro Shop space has completely revitalized the look and feel of the space. It is a place where we hope that people will relax and linger as they take in the ocean views and the activity on the golf course immediately in front of them.

In an effort to introduce a new area for people to gather and congregate, I feel the enlarged patio provides a perfect setting for this. If the weather is not quite right for some strange reason, we will also be unveiling our new pub offering on property; a great place for a casual gathering filled with great food and live, local music. This will open in the middle of May and will be a welcomed addition to Cabot and Inverness as a whole.

I do thank you for visiting the town while you were here as well. The people here are some of the nicest I have met anywhere and I am proud to be living here. The beach, as you mentioned, is incredible and there are a handful of very good restaurants within a short distance. With the fresh seafood caught in the area each day, it is tough to go wrong!

Thank you for also including Highlands in your review as we would agree - it should not be missed. While Keltic has certainly been open for more than one season, we do see it as a great model as we grow and improve and it is a worthy stop along the Trail during a visit to Cape Breton.

Thanks for taking the time to let us know how about your experience.

Best regards,
Andrew
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2012

When a resort is only open for just more than one month you do not expect too much other than growing pains. WHO KNEW that this resort would provide such excellent accommodations, food and golf! From the welcoming staff at the front desk to the friendly servers in the restaurant and to the professional staff in the golf shop as well as the exhurberence of the golf caddies this is a golf destination that should not be missed. A "new" course, that will take a few years to mature, before the full challenges of its undulating greens will be tested should be in your calender to play today. The design of the course will test any golfer and the breathtaking views will make you want to stop and take pictures along the way. But the hidden jewel of this resort is the courteous and friendly staff who take a real interest in ensuring your stay with them is a 5 star experience. WHO KNEW this resort will draw me back to Cape Breton again!

Room Tip: All the rooms face the Atlantic Ocean - ask for one with a balcony.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Andrew A, General Manager at Cabot Links Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time in Cape Breton and we are proud that we were a big part of that! Please get in touch prior to your return as it would be great to welcome you back!

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Andrew
Boston
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I stayed at Cabot Links last week for 4 days and played 108 holes of golf.
Cabot Links will certainly one of the top gold courses on the East Coach of America. It has great pedigree and its owners are committed to making it a great success. It has great views and the course will be famous someday. That being said it is not there yet and it’s being promoted as a “Paradise” which it is not.
Cabot Links is doing a great job at marketing and the scenes and ocean views abutting the course are breath taking. The course also abuts dilapidated and rundown buildings in the town of Inverness, which by most standards is an old mining town in need of lots of renovation. It almost feels like the golf course was a an urban renewal project.
The resort will be great but for now its being “overhyped”. You will not find a world class golf resort nestled in a nation park. It is a new and emerging resort nestles in a rundown town. Expectations are everything. My expectations were much higher. It was priced like a 4-star or 5-star resort. It did not deliver. I gave it a 1 to alert people to this fact. Give it a few years to bake.
Accommodations: The accommodations are new and a work in progress. The rooms are clean and very high ceilings and great and very comfortable beds. I was very pleased with the rooms. The wall facing the ocean was all glass for a great view. The bathrooms are spacious. MAKE SURE YOUR ROOM IS ON THE SECOND FLOOR with a balcony. Rooms come equipped with a refrigerator which is handy.
This being said, construction is on-going and all the “working out the bugs” incidences are there. Our room door key lock did not work properly for 4 days but finally got repaired. Our coffee machine was problematic.
The second floor view of the sun setting over the ocean is almost worth the price of admission.
Service: Service personal felt more college kids trying very hard but just learning their job. Remembering to restock things like soap bars and room coffee were common and annoying and required lots of calls. Other service personal made you feel like you were staying at a five star resort. There was great variability. There is a valet parking service.
Food: My wife is a “foodie” and she was very very pleased with the menu and the meals. Like the rooms, excellent quality dishes, excellently prepared. The dinning environment left a lot to be desired. The dining room was small noisy and crowded and while the food and wine was superb, the table settings made you feel like you were eating at “Friendly’s”.
The Pro Shop was well stocked with ball, gloves, and golf apparel but limited in range of sizes.
Convenience: There was no place to buy a diet coke, a tooth brush or some other forgotten necessity without taking a very long drive. Coffee was difficult to come buy except for a coffee machine in your room.
Golf: The course is still a work in progress. We played 36 holes three straight days. The fairways play very fast with great rolls. The course is built on mine tailings. Some holes are very challenging. The greens are consistent and sometimes slow. For two days we had no wind and on the third day lots of wind, especially latter in the day. Some parts of the course (12th hole) are still being redesigned. For the first time golfer figuring out where the next hole is and how far the pin is can be frustrating as the course is not well marked. There are no “ball washers”.
The people we meet, mostly Canadians, were great.

Room Tip: Second Floor with a outside deck is a requirement to enjoy the sunset.
6 Thank USA47Dutchman
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This is by far the best place in NS, Canada. We stayed in a delux room with balcony with fantastic views of the golf course and water. The food was the best we've ever had...ever. The course was beautiful with even better views. The whole staff was friendly. I wish our whole trip would have been spent at Cabot Links. The only reason to return to NS.

2 Thank Kristen S
Ottawa
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I stayed and played here in mid-August.

The golf course is spectacular with fantastic ocean views and a true links. It still needs to grow in a bit in a few areas which I expoect will happen by next season. It would be beneficial to add a couple of stairways down to the beach so the occassional errant tee shot can be hit back onto the golf course.

The hotel room was very modern, large, and had a great view overlooking the golf course and ocean. It was somewhat pricey at $280 plus taxes but there is no other property in the area that is comparable and being able to walk out of your room and onto the golf course is a definite advantage.

Food service for me was good for breakfast but several other guests in the breakfast room at the same time had to leave or were rushed for their tee time because of slow orders coming from the kitchen (not sure why this was as my order seemed to come out in a normal time).

Room Tip: All the rooms are on the same side of the building so all have the same view. Second floor balconies...
Cape Elizabeth, Maine
Reviewed August 19, 2012

I drove up to Cabot Links expecting a new golf resort. It was new and it was golf. I'll start off by saying that the view was breathtaking, the golf course was gorgeous and the food at the restaurant was every bit worth the cost. Also, the rooms were cute, clean and the bathrooms were very much so up to par.

Here's where they are in need of help. Cabot Links is set right off of a busy road in Inverness surrounded by trailers, houses and local businesses. The landscaping is far from being finished leaving you with a poor first impression. The hospitality was lacking in that everyone seemed very apprehensive about their positions in the hotel, do I greet the new guests proactively? do I ask to carry bags? Do I ask if they're checking in? How their travels were? Everyone meets you with aloofness and a level of uncomfortableness. Once you get to your room, all of the entrances are outside as though you're in a glorified motel. The hotel offers no spa, no pool, no gym, no business center, no amenities at all.

There is no practice range and the practice green is very small. They do not allow 9 hole rounds for the most part unless it's at a certain time of day.

If you want to go, set your expectations as such: I'm going to golf, I'm going to eat, and I'm going to sleep. This is no thrills, great golf with a place to sleep and a place to buy a beer and a burger.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inverness
Seascape Coastal Retreat
Keltic Lodge Resort & Spa
Inverary Resort
Inverary Resort
#5 of 7 in Baddeck

Been to Cabot Links Resort? Share your experiences!