“A fantastic, traditional and charming Bed and Breakfast!”

Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 West Challow B&B and Inns
London
“A fantastic, traditional and charming Bed and Breakfast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

From the outside the farm is a stunning 17th century building, and the inside is decked out with rustic charm, a mixture of period features and comfy farmhouse style. We stayed at Manor Farm for a long weekend in August and were part of a large wedding group - so had the run of the place. The groom's family were there so as well as 15 adults we also had a few young children...all brilliantly catered for.
Although they class themselves as a B&B, the service, food and standards are excellent, more like a boutique 'farmhouse' hotel, still retaining their quirky charm! The full english breakfasts served from the farmhouse kitchen are huge and worth the money alone!
I would highly recommend Manor Farm, a fantastic place!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2009

I spend many nights away in hotels and bed and breakfasts, and nearly always come away feeling slightly disapointed (or in some cases a lot worse!).

It was an absolute pleasure to have spent 2 nights at Manor Farm and even though it was a business trip, I will defintiely go back there with my family for a weekend break.

It is a completly refreshing approach to B&Bs / hotels and I have never felt so welcomed and looked after at anywhere I have stayed before.

The owners are delighftul, the food incredible and the bedrooms have everything you need for a good, deep night's sleep.

If you like to be treated as a human being, are looking for great homecooked food and want to get a really good night's sleep, the this place is for you.

• Liked — The food, the rooms, the owners, the people, the atmosphere and more.
  • Disliked — There was nothing I didn't like.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2009

Fantastic farm house close to Wantage, reasonably priced, great rooms with tons of character, copious amounts of excellent food for breakfast and absolutely top quality hospitality from the owners.

They even had week old kittens when we stayed! What more could you ask for? Highly recommended.

• Liked — Hospitality
  • Disliked — My friend spilling red wine on the carpet
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

I first found this place by accident at the start of the year when looking for a B+B to host a group of us for a walking (and generally sitting by the fire) weekend. We couldn't have been more happy with the location, beautiful building, high standard of the rooms and food, and lovely relaxed feel the home has. I've since returned to the place twice and have never been disappointed. There have even been newborn kittens!

The rooms are all individual with lovely features making them both luxurious and comfortable while still being homely. The sitting room can comfortably hold a large group with an open fire place and plenty of logs to feed it with. The breakfasts are immense, and the dinners of a very high standard. We've always been made to feel extremely welcome there and hope to return again soon. I would highly recommend this place to anyone (and have (-: )

• Liked — Relaxed luxury in a country escape
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
South Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2008

After paying £140 - £165 per night for accommodation in London, reputed to be 5 star (which it wasn't) I though the Manor farm at around $A65 (£35) a night was exceptionally good value.

This part of Oxfordshire is stunning - "biscuit box cover" rural charm at its best ... cottages with thatched roofs, white-washed walls, etc. Unlike similar places in the UK, it has not as yet been over-run by tourists. You actually mingle with the locals!

I'd recommend a look at near-by Buckland and the Throckmorton estate (now owned by Fergie's ex.), and a meal at the Fox Inn, Denchworth (be sure to book, it is very popular). Also Childrey with its ancient duck pond.

What I liked about Manor Farm was that it was the "genuine article", not refurbished or rebuilt to the point of loosing all reference to its origins. Perhaps like something out of an English "County Life" magazine. The owners were the same; a welcoming family who I though made you feel more than just a guest. In the evening I sat down to an excellent home cooked meal (at the kitchen table), with good company, good wine, and a warm fire. It was around £10 extra from memory, but well worth it.

The bedroom I had was large with a small adjoining lounge, both very clean and comfortable. I also liked that it was quiet; the Manor is tucked away down a small lane off the highway. Actually, I only found the place when taking a wrong turn - but wasn't disappointed. It was a highlight for this Australian, and would add I’d be pressed to find similar accommodation at this price in my own country.

As other reviews have mentioned Manor Farm is not a "ritzy" hotel or motel, so don't expect it to be. It is however very ellegant, and I must say better than other B&B's I've stayed at in the same price range. .

• Liked — Friendlyness
  • Disliked — Nothing to complain about
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
London, England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2008

I have just stayed at Manor Farm and found BOTH previous reviews overblown.

On the plus side

(a) this is an amazing house full of history;

(b) the owners made an effort to be friendly and helpful; and

(c) there was a lovely fruit salad at breakfast . But otherwise it was a distinctly average affair, with no choice of "how do you like your eggs?" (surely a B&B minimum standard in 2008?), and the butter for all guests to (literally) scoop at was rapidly melting in a plastic tub on the table.

On the minus side:-

1. Lady owner greeted us in a (food?) stained tee shirt (see final comment) .

2. Tea, coffee, biscuits and (most appallingly) milk (millac cartons) on the tea trays in our rooms were out of date (and by months, not days)

3. Failure to refresh tea tray at all during our 2 day stay.

4. Failure to clean or tidy room at all, which would have been absolutely fine were it not for ....

5. .... a "turn down" service while we were out, involving drawing curtains and switching on light and (in one case turning back duvet - completely!). If the owners weren't in there cleaning and collecting dirty cups, one wonders "what were they up to?"

6. Various broken items just left out including furniture with strips of veneer missing and a fire screen in the dining room with shattered glass.

7. The owner waving us off in the same stained tee shirt (third day of wear) that she was wearing on our arrival. I know for sure that it was the same one because it was the same colour and the stain was still there in the same spot. Fine, I understand that she doesn't have to change her clothes twice a day, but she is was cooking for us and it made me wonder what else was dirty.

Other guests in the past have obvioulsy been happy. Perhaps I'm just fussy; but I have stayed in FAR better places for the same amount (£70 for a room for 2); and was left with the distinct impression the owners were either utterly exhausted, or that they couldn't quite be bothered, or both.

It was all just a bit sloppy.

Would I go back? No. Was it OK. Perhaps yes...in 1988, but this is 2008 and so please catch up, Manor Farm, B&Bs all over England are raising the standard. You have a stunning house and could truly make it a special place to stay if you just make an effort .

• Liked — Its facade and architecture
  • Disliked — Pretty much everything else
  • Stayed July 2008
3 Thank Laconcha
Nottingham
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2008

Well we have stayed in many Bed and Breakfasts around the world, let alone the UK and whilst this is very pleasant, it is certainly not up to the 5 "blob" ratings we have stayed at elsewhere.

First of all to be positive... the owners are both friendly and welcoming although we were left a little to our own devices when we arrived which felt a bit strange! The building is a very old listed farm house, with many maintenance challenges and must be a nightmare to keep clean. However generally it is clean, and as the previous reviewer said the linens were top class! The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. It is very quiet until others start to get up and then again the problems of avery old house become apparent. Breakfast was very good although I really do not want to have a dog reminding me it is there all the way through my breakfast! I guess if you like dogs fine, for me they are a bit of a no go zone, so that wound me up a bit!

On the negative side, the heating was not working in the evening and we had to use a stand alone heater to warm the room. It was a cold evening, although the heating was on in the morning...why not the evening I wonder....and the room was cold when we returned from the party we had been too at about 11.30pm. Also lights were not working in the room and in our (separate) bathroom which although minor was a little inconvenient. Our room also was badly in need of redecorartion. For £80 a night up from last year....this is at the top end of what you should be paying although I recognise Oxford is an expensive area.

So overall Ok and pleasant enough, would I go back, probably not, was I happy there generally yes, but Manor Farm doesn't set the world alight!

• Liked — Quiet rural setting
  • Disliked — Room needs decorating!
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
#3 of 4 in Faringdon
The Greyhound Inn
The Greyhound Inn
#1 of 11 in Wantage

Been to Manor Farm Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!