“Modern Design, Tolerable Location”

Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I stayed at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam from May 1 to May 6, 2013. My room was booked using a third-party website, which gave a nearly 40% discount on one of the Fair Trade Rooms. This worked out to be a rate of approximately $125 CAD a night. Despite the seemingly inconvenient location of the hotel, I decided to book, as it provided modern conveniences at an affordable rate, even for a university student.
Once arriving into Amsterdam Schiphol, finding the hotel shuttle bus pick-up area was very easy. The shuttle is a very large, comfortable bus that runs every half-hour, making the under-15-minute trip to and from Schiphol. Prior to arriving, I emailed the hotel telling them I would be arriving early and requested an early check-in. When I arrived at 8AM, I was surprised to find that a room was ready for me, and was quickly checked in. Jeanette, a front desk agent, was efficient in checking us in and providing us with information throughout our stay. Her service was impeccable and should be noted by management!
My room, 589, was very large and extremely clean. The design was modern and all amenities desired were present. The beds were very comfortable, the duvet fluffy, bathroom floors heated, and portions of the bathroom mirrors did not fog when using the shower. My only possible complaint with the design of the room would be the translucent bathroom door not providing as much privacy as one may desire. Regardless, the room was in excellent condition, very quiet, and wifi access was the best I had throughout my travels in Europe. The hotel is very secure with key-access elevators. Your key is also required for electricity to be given to your room.
Despite the inconvenient location, the shuttle bus access to Schiphol made a trip to Amsterdam Centraal fairly simple. On occasion, I used a taxi to get from Schiphol to the hotel as the shuttle had stopped running after midnight; I paid no more than 15 Euros, which was quite acceptable. It was mentioned to me that rail tickets to and from Amsterdam Centraal were available at half-off at the front desk. Unfortunately, during my stay, these tickets were not available for purchase.
An added bonus is the free printing that is available in the lobby business centre. It made checking in for my flight easy, and I was able to print my boarding pass right away.
Upon future return to Amsterdam, I would not hesitate to stay at the Steigenberger again at a comparable price.

Room Tip: Higher floors are quieter, though rooms are sound-proof regardless of what floor you are on.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (2,311)

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Airport shuttle makes arrival to the hotel nice and easy. Reception staff were very helpful and the customer service sent a personal hygiene kit to my room when I asked. The room itself was clean and quiet, but for some reason the toilet bowl wasn't completely clean (yuck!). I did not make much of it because we only came there to shower and sleep for a few hours between flights.
Complementary spa and gym access sounded very nice, but unfortunately I did not have time to use them.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Reception staff were excellent. Room was very comfortable with nice bath tub. Tea/coffee in room. Bed comfy Trouser hangers that work. Ironing board. Good lighting. Close to Schipol. free and frequent shuttle. Good bar, good food. Just great.

Room Tip: All good with good sound proofing
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Some black mold in the bathroom
Dirty bathrobe
Was better when it was a Dorint Hotel (stayed there many times)
Menu in the sports-bar (the only one open on the weekend) rather limited. It was better when it was a Dorint hotel
Would still stay there as it is the best in the area, but would complain about the above points. This time we were too tired to complain.

Room Tip: Got an executive room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
AMS_Steigenberger, Manager at Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

First we would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to give us feedback regarding your stay at the Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam. It is with this information that we are able to further improve our services.

Regarding your comment about the tidiness of the room we would like to inform you that your comment was shared with the responsible department head, to prevent situations like this from happening again. Although the menu in the Sports & Media Bar was limited we hope you enjoyed your dinner in the Sports & Media Bar.

We are very sorry for the inconvenience caused and for the fact that we were not able to meet your expectations. Hereby we would like to offer you our sincere apologies. Your comments were shared within our organization.

In closing, we thank you again for your feedback. We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you in the near future again and to have the opportunity to prove we are able to offer excellence on all aspects of our services.

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel is worth staying. The service is very best and the cleanliness is beyond expectation. The shuttle service to and fro from airport makes like very simpler and easy. The spa is the best part of the hotel. It has steam, sauna & swimming is beyond any words.

Room Tip: All rooms are spacious and clean. The bathrooms are also very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dearchintu
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Amsterdam and had a wonderful time. The staff were very helpful and friendly, going out of their way to make us welcome, and the whole hotel was immacculate.
The breakfast was just amazing, the quality and variety of the food that was available was marvellous and really started the day with a smile. The dining room was clean and tidy and again, all the staff were helpful.
We were offered a disabled room (I am disabled) without having to ask, and the facilites in the room were perfect with a "wetroom" style bathroom and plenty of space to manouvre. The shuttle bus to the town was great and we used it a lot - the driver helped us on and off and was absolutely charming.
One of the highlights was using the swimming pool and spa, which was again clean and beautifully designed. I haven't previously been in a sauna and it was an amazing experience, exciting but relaxing.
I would definitely recommend the hotel to anyone looking for a place to stay near the airport.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Izzari
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Everything is excellent from the rooms, beds, breakfast. A little out of the city for tourists but even then it's a simple affair to take the hotel's free shuttle to the airport and then the quick rail service to Centraal Station is a dream. Great hotel!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ashbb
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Ramada Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center

Been to Steigenberger Airport Hotel Amsterdam? Share your experiences!