“They love to think of fun ways to waste your money”

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cincinnati, Ohio
“They love to think of fun ways to waste your money”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2010

Ok yes, the location is great, it's nice to walk to the terminals. But other than that I just really hated the place. The room is really expensive, which is one thing, but then they go and charge you other ridiculous prices for things you need and it just seems rude. It was something ridiculous for internet connection, not even free in the lobby even though they told me it would be. And they charged the highest prices I've ever seen to use the telephone in your room to make a free call with a calling card... 3 euro everytime you connect. So if you get disconnected or have to make several short calls, it adds up quickly and is maddening because you have a calling card so that you don't have to pay lots of money to make calls.
Also, I just hated the room decor it reminded me of a 1980's polo club cheesy feel. I also thought the painting in the bathroom was kind of disturbing, and the bath supplies did not smell good and were only for men.
I ordered room service, and they forgot my order, so i called back an hour later and they apologized and sent the meal up for free, but when i bit into my hamburger after being very hungry i realized it was bright red in the middle which was gross. I don't really want to get e.coli, thanks.
There's got to be a better airport stay in Amsterdam and I'm still looking...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
JillVanRest, Duty Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 14, 2010
Dear dedicated guest,
I am very grateful you took the time to provide us with valuable feedback about your stay in November last year and it is a pleasure to hear you like our convenient location. You mentioned you were not impressed by the décor of the room, of which a picture was included. I am proud to announce that on December 14th, we started with the refurbishment of our rooms in the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport hotel. The room décor of the refurbished rooms is more modern and additionally we have placed brand new flat screen televisions in all rooms. However, the bathroom amenities will not change and it is unfortunate to hear their scent was not to your liking. Please be advised that you can always contact our Guest Service Center for new supplies of amenities. The wireless internet we offer in all guest rooms is indeed charged separately. However, we offer the Link@Sheraton service in our lobby at reception level. This area is equipped with three PC’s with a high-speed internet connection, which is free of charge for all our guests. We are always happy to assist you in connecting to our complimentary internet in the Link@Sheraton.
To conclude, I am sincerely sorry to hear my room service associates were not able to deliver your order on time and you were unhappy with the quality of the complimentary meal we offered you to compensate for this inconvenience. Please trust me when I say this does not comply with the high standards we always strive to offer our guests. I have passed your comments to our Food & Beverage team and they will certainly be discussed in the department.
We hope that, even though you had an unfortunate experience, you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in our hotel. It would be a pleasure to accommodate you in one of our beautiful refurbished rooms and to impress you with the high quality products and services we have to offer in the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport hotel.
Warm regards, Jill van Rest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Harrogate, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2010

Allthough the hotel was undergoing refurbishment they did there best to minimise the mess and noise, facilities were good, room was very quiet apart from some slight noise from the corridor air conditioning late at night, considering it is an airport hotel it was good value

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Dear dedicated guest,
As you mentioned in your highly appreciated feedback, we are indeed refurbishing our guest rooms since December 14th. During the construction work on the other floors, we do our utmost to limit any inconveniences to a minimum, so that our guests’ experience remains as comfortable as possible.
Our Sheraton hotel is the only hotel directly linked to Schiphol Airport, which is very convenient when traveling. It was a pleasure to have you as one of our guests and we would be delighted to welcome you for another stay in the near future.
Warm regards, Jill van Rest
South East England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2010

Spent one night there due to the weather chaos early this year. There was a glitch with their web site so I just crossed the road from Schiphol and showed up at reception, got the last room, at their standard price, not cheap but not outrageous either under the circumstances.
Rooms are comfortable reasonably spacious, and room service was efficient although the food was not outstanding. All in all a rather good choice and extremely convenient for the airport (no need to take a shuttle or taxi, terminal within walking distance).

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
AniekRoesink, Duty Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Dear Dedicated Guest,
It was a pleasure to be able to accommodate you with a room during the bad weather conditions. We had an unusual strong winter this year. I am happy to read you had a delightful stay with us. Your comment about our hotel being very convenient is absolutely true as we are linked to the departure and arrival halls of Schiphol Airport. I would like to thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay through Tripadvisor. On behalf of everyone at the Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel & Conference Center we look forward to welcoming you again in the future hopefully under better circumstances. Warm regards, Aniek Roesink
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2010

I did an overnight stay at the Sheraton Schiphol on the way back between a late afternoon flight from Germany and a post noon flight back to the USA right after New Years.

I've stayed at both the Hilton and the Sheraton (two hotels connected by a long heated/covered walkway to Schiphol) and after this first stay, I'm still a bit torn as to which hotel is better.

GOOD:

Sheraton is extremely close to Schiphol. Less than five minutes to walk from the airport's "Zentrum" to the entrance. There are a couple closer, "pod" or ultra-budget / day-use hotels next to (or within) Schipol, but this Sheraton is a true airport full service hotel. Probably one of the most convenient ones I've seen at any European airport.

The architecture is amazing. Glassed in catwalks between the two sail-like buildings that frame the hotel, creating a large atrium for the bar area right outside the Voyagers restaurant.

The rooms are bigger and more nicely sized than the Hilton's room. Our Deluxe Floor (i.e. standard room) bathroom had both a bathtub and a separate, fully enclosed shower.

They have a stack of Schiphol luggage carts right in the lobby, very convenient and thoughtful of them.

BAD:

"City taxes" are *not* included in your rate quote (unlike VAT), so be prepared for a surprise 6% add on with your rate at checkout time.

The front desk seemed entirely staffed by trainees, both at check-in and at check-out time. My stay was just after the New Year so it may have been that the regular staff were all away for the holiday. I was bummed that the trainee ignored my SPG Gold card (Hilton is a lot better at recognizing and upgrading frequent guests) and put me into a standard room on floor 3. I asked about potential lounge access and she replied "only plats get *that*". According to Flyertalk, the reliable way to get an upgrade is to ask for one (which I had forgotten to do). The 5th & 6th floors are SPG Preferred floors (with upgraded & additional amenities). The 7th floor has the "Club" rooms while the 8th floor apparently has the lounge and suites.

Now I know why Dutch people are so skinny. The Voyagers restaurant was unfortunately closed for the Christmas & New Years period (it certainly looks really nice), so we did a dinner in the Runway Cafe on the lobby floor. My choice was the "Burger of the Month", which this month was a "Winter Burger", consisting of a rare (red almost all the way through) patty with a few mushrooms and Dutch mustard sauce. My traveling companion opted for the Vegetarian sandwich, which was supposed to come with Eggplant, red pepper and zucchini and pesto (at least on the menu). What arrived was a club sandwich with one red pepper slice, many tomato slices, zucchini and completely soaked in mayonnaise (not a good combination when one is allergic to eggs). I'm guessing the cook in the back either didn't have a copy of the menu (which listed the ingredients) or that cook was a trainee also, or both? I wrote out a comment card and left it with the front desk at checkout time and after a week or more, haven't heard anything back from anyone (I'm assuming the front desk trainees just filed my comments in their recycle bin).

Breakfast was included in my rate and was a much happier experience. It was a very thorough and well stocked buffet, at least when we went down to the Voyagers restaurant space (where they serve breakfast) at 6:30 in the morning.

Internet, if you choose to pay through the nose for it, is 10€ for a single hour, 19€ for 24 hours, 35€ for 48 hours, with additional options & prices for three & five days.

In retrospect, aside from the botched & wretched dinner experience, I was relatively happy with the hotel overall and I would give this hotel a second chance if it was between this Sheraton and the Hilton Schiphol.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank MichaelInSF
AniekRoesink, Dutymanager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 5, 2010
Dear Dedicated Guest,
First of all I would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to provide us with your feedback through Tripadvisor. I regret to read about your experience at our Runway Café and therefore I took the liberty to contact you directly through email.
After reading your constructive feedback I have sent a copy of this to the persons and department involved. We always are open for all feedback and want to stimulate our guest to provide us with their feedback. I would like to apologize that it took a long time for us to contact you regarding this matter.
I am pleased to read that even though you have had an unfortunate experience with us that you are planning to stay with us again in autumn as per your email.
I want to conclude by expressing my gratitude for your comments about our convenient location and great architecture, as I must agree they are enjoyable features. The F&B team was very proud to hear your comments.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of any further assistance.
Warm regards, Aniek Roesink
Holland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2009

We tried it again at this place but it is still the same.
No upgrade as a Gold member, club lounge was poor, only beverage during the day, evening hors d' oeuvres with only wine, nothing else.
Restaurant was closed including the bar, only the cafe next was opened, possible to eat in the back with the menu from the restaurant.
Pay 150,- to eat in a lot of noise because there were a lot of people at the front.
We payed 50,- extra to get a executive room, but it was not bigger then a normal club floor room as they say and when I called to make the reservation they told me that we good get a free upgrade as a Gold to this room, but first when we arrived they told us there was no upgrade available, after that we good get the room for extra money.
Overall the only thing good about this place, it is right at the airport but the Hilton Schiphol is not that far away so next time we go back to that place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
DeniseDeiman, Executive Office Coordinator at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, February 3, 2010
Dear Loyal Guest,
Thank you for your honest feedback that you have provided us. I am sorry to hear that you are not satisfied with your recent stay with us. However I would like to thank you that you have stayed with us again. Feedback is very important to us and we always follow up on comments of our guests. I hope you had good time in general and had the chance to visit Amsterdam. I am very sorry for the miscommunication and please be assured that I have shared your feedback with our team to improve ourselves in the furure. Although I understand you are reluctant to come back and stay with us again, you are always welcome. Please contact me or my team if I can be of any assistance. Warm regards, Denise Deiman
Northport, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2009

This Sheraton has easy access to Schiphol Airport. It was a pleasure to retrieve ones luggage from the carrosel, place it on a FREE luggage carriage and wheel it directly into the hotel lobby. In fact, we pushed it right into our room. The views of the plane traffic are impressive but more so that there is absolutely no noise. The hotel also offers free internet service in the lobby. There are many dining options in the airport beside the pricey hotel restaurant. We did have a misunderstanding about the city tax which we thought we had prepaid.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Loyal Guest,
I am delighted to read that you are very pleased with our convenient location. We indeed have special windows that block the airplane noise from outside. Thank you for your open feedback about our hotel. Warm welcome back & warm regards, D. Deiman
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2009

We're Starwood Platinum members and were lucky enough to get upgraded to a suite with a lounge room, large bedroom, bathroom and seperate toilet. It was lovely and the bed was comfortable, but it was only a queen size - it's been a long time since I've seen a queen bed in a suite room.

We didn't eat at the restaurants so I can't comment on that, but the staff were friendly and helpful when we had interaction with them.

We did use the executive lounge area which had a few other guests, but no staff in attendance. There were two bain maries, one with chicken wings and one with rice, that were not topped up during the 90 minutes we were there, and a selection of cold meats and cheeses.

It's a great hotel for airport access, you just have to walk over a covered walkway to the airport - can't beat that.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear loyal guest,
Thank you for staying with us and that you took the time to give us feedback via Tripadvisor. It is great to hear that you found your stay with us convenient and we were glad to offer you an upgrade to one of our suite. I hope you have enjoyed your visit and I would like to welcome you back at our hotel. Warm regards, D. Deiman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!