“Great Airport Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Schenectady
“Great Airport Hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel while in Amsterdam briefly in between flights from Rome to New York. It was super convenient. The front desk associate was extremely friendly and even upgraded us to a king room (rather than two twins).

Our bedroom had both a bath tub and shower, but the shower was super small. I think they would be better just having the shower/tub combo. Shaving your legs would not be fun in that shower.

Loved the pant press!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Susanne099,
I am delighted to hear that we managed to give you a relaxing and refreshing experience during your layover. It is always a pleasure to know that our staff is friendly and accomodating. Regarding the bath/shower combination: we offer some rooms with this specific combination, please do not hesitate to ask for one of these rooms upon your next arrival. I hope we can say “welcome back” to you very soon!
With warm regards, Kurt Renold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Woodstock, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights here attempting to avoid the over crowded hotels of downtown Amsterdam and we succeeded in this endeavour but not without a cost. Stay at schipol meant we gave up our rental car, which would have been impossible to park anyway. The cost was a very expensive, but clean room. Certainly up to North American standards. However the Sheraton was more than expensive as they were cheap in thei Internet plans. No free Internet except a free 30 minute plan. Which meant no sharing between devices. I liked the room but had I known this I would have expected more. On the flip side we went up to the executive lounge and the staff there allowed me and my son to photograph airplanes on the tarmack. That was great.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Jimg0,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us from your feedback. I appreciate your honest opinion and I am sorry to hear that your stay was not fully up to your expectations. It is correct that we do not provide free Internet in all hotel areas. I would kindly like to inform you that our internet at Link@Sheraton, located next to the reception desk, is unlimited and for free. Also, I am proud to say that we recently implemented free Internet in our Club Rooms. Nevertheless, I do understand your point of view and we will certainly keep this in mind. In closing, it is great to hear that you and your son enjoyed the view from the Club Lounge, it is quite special to see all planes departing and arriving! Hope to welcome you back again soon. With warm regards, Kurt Renold.
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

The hotel has a great restaurant, the gym is spacious and the hotel is very convenient located for business travel. A very friendly and helpful staff. Every time I stayed there check in and out were efficient.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guy K,
Thank you very much for staying at our hotel and sharing your experience with us on this website. It is great to take part of your feedback and it makes me especially proud to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful. At the end, this is one of the key components to make your stay a memorable one. I am looking forward to meet you again in the near future!
With warm regards, Kurt Renold.
INDIANAPOLIS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We had a 12 hour layover in Amsterdam. The Sheraton is the absolute closest to the Airport. Very pricey but nice. The two beds were inches from each other, so be sure you're comfortable with your roommate.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear tonyreynol,
Thank you for sharing your honest feedback and opinion with us. I am glad our special hotel location could offer you the convenience to the airport. I also notice that you mentioned the twin beds were a bit too closer to each other. I would like to kindly inform you that it is also possible that we can arrange it for you if you prefer more space in between. It is always our pleasure to help you as long as you feel comfortable when staying with us. I hope we can welcome and serve you again in the near future.
Victoria, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

We recently travelled to Europe and had a one night stay in Amsterdam before continuing onto our destination. We did a fair amount of research into where to stay and finally arrived at a decision to stay at the airport. Normally, I wouldn't choose a airport hotel, particularly in Europe where most hotels are expensive and airport hotels can be very poor. But when I realized that there was direct train connection from the airport to the main train station which is in the heart of the city, it made lots more sense. The ability to walk directly to our hotel from the the airport gate and drop off our luggage, meant we could maximize our stay in Amsterdam without dragging luggage all over town. I wasn't expecting much having stayed in London airport hotels that you can barely turn around in. I was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel was very professionally run and the hotel room compared favourably with any higher end hotel in North America. We dropped our luggage in the room, got excellent advice from the front desk on what to see and how to get there and shortly thereafter we were on a 15 minute train ride to downtown Amsterdam. I would definitely recommend this hotel for those who are just travelling through and only have limited time to see the sights

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear cmfconsulting,
First of all, I would like to sincerely thank you for choosing and trusting our hotel as your final choice when staying in Amsterdam. I am very happy to learn that we exceeded your expectations and brought you the comfort and convenience which you really needed. Thank you once again for your compliments and recommendation. I really hope you had a very nice time in Amsterdam with the beautiful sunshine these days. I am looking forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

It is clear that an airport hotel is not a place to spend a weekend and/or some holidays. Should be a place good located, well communicated with the airport terminal and with basic services all related to airport passengers. The Sheraton at Amsterdam airport meets all this criterias, and is a quite good airport hotel. Clean, well located, with good meeting facilities, nice restaurant and good breakfast. I had to stay overnight one week ago, to have a business meeting with customers arriving from USA, therefore I drove from Brussels, stayed there, had a great sleep, excellent breakfast, met my customers and left the hotel. For that type of trips, this hotel is excellent.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Alvaro E
Dear Alvaro E,
Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience of staying with us. I am so glad to learn that our hotel is your ideal option when going on a business trip. I also would like to thank you again for your compliments of our hotel facilities and services. It is our pleasure to make your stay as comfortable as possible, with the genuine care and comfort you deserve. Until we see you again I wish you all the best from my team and myself.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed here one night last week. I pre-booked a King bed Club room, high floor with a view of the airport at a rate of EUR 379 plus tax as this was to be the last night of my birthday holiday and I wanted to end the time off with a stay in a nice hotel.

We arrived from a flight from Montreal. We checked in around 3pm. There were no king rooms ready but given that were really tired we accepted a queen room instead. Overall check in was swift - the girls on reception were lovely and we chatted to them before heading up to our room.

The so called "executive" room was fairly large but the view of the airport wasn't what I was expecting - we couldn't see many planes or runways and we just had a view of the main airport area - very disappointing given the description on the hotel website and the fact this is supposed to be an actual paid for benefit (which you choose and costs extra) Also there were stains on the furniture and a couple of small ones on the carpet. There was dust on some of the light fittings which was clearly visible.

The bathroom was an OK size but it was so disappointing to have an over bath shower instead of a separate shower cubicle and the water pressure and temperature was too variable to be comfortable. I didn't like the shower curtain - it needs to be better quality as does the bed linen which was pretty rough. And the towels were all very small, thin and cheap. Given the prices they charge I would have expected much better.

After a few hours sleep - the one positive is that even during the day the hotel is exceptionally quiet and soundproof - we got showered and went to the Club lounge for a drink. There were a couple of red and white wines on offer together with spirits, beers and soft drinks. The lounge was busy but it still had a nice buzz. Breakfast was also taken in the Club room on the top floor - we got there at 7am when it had opened and there was a good selection both hot and cold food. We didn't stay long as we had a flight to catch but it was a nice start to the day.

Issues other than those already listed: At one point the room key didn't work for the club room and also the Wi-Fi code didn't work and needed a trip to the reception to resolve - both irritations that anyone could do without.

IF I'd paid about EUR200 for this I would have said it was just about (but only just) worth it (convenient for the airport, a good sleep and a nice club room to unwind or start the day in) But given that I paid EUR400 (includes the tax) I was very disappointed and didn't feel that I got what I paid for - and just looking at the description on my original reservation if feel I was misled too.

Basically the reception and public areas are very glossy but the rooms need updating in order to justify the prices. It was a let down and I won't book it again unless I really have to.

Room Tip: Get an exec room and enjoy time in the club room on the top floor.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank dogsareforlife
KurtRenold, General Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, July 22, 2013
Dear Dogsareforlife,
Thank you for staying at our hotel and summarizing your experiences for the readers of TripAdvisor and us. We value all guest comments, and constructive feedback helps us to continually improve upon our services and facilities. I regret that we could not fulfill your personal requirements regarding the room. Only a selective amount of our rooms do not have a separate shower and bath, but please do not hesitate to make a special request on this. On a more positive hand, it makes me happy that our Front desk team was able to give you a warm welcome and that you enjoyed the peace and quiet in our hotel. The airport noise is indeed not to be heard inside the hotel room. Thank you as well for your complementing words about the Club Lounge, I am proud to read that this was a nice start of your day. Further to your comments on our rooms and rooms description, I will certainly discuss these points with the concerned Heads of Department. I hope your room experience will not deter you from reselecting our property for your future stay and that we meet again soon!
Warm regards,
Kurt Renold.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!