“A very nice hotel which happens to be on airport!”

Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
GreenLeadersSilver level
England
“A very nice hotel which happens to be on airport!”
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I think this is one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in, and I've stayed in plenty of good hotels for business and leisure. On this trip I had a two night stay (27th/28th May) splitting my time between visiting friends in The Hague and some sightseeing in Amsterdam, having visited both places a number of times.

This is a really nice hotel which happens to be on an airport. So many airport hotels are tired, run down and overpriced but this isn't one of them. It's actually on the airport, only a few minutes walk from arrivals/departures. If that is the only reason for you to stay there then it is good enough. No waiting around for shuttles.
You are also a couple of minutes walk from the station and can get to Amsterdam in fifteen minutes, The Hague in thirty and to plenty of other places very easily. If the aim of your trip is just to visit Amsterdam, even for the first time then consider staying here as it is so easy to get in and a lot quieter. I'll never stay in Amsterdam again after staying here.
The hotel looks great with a huge central atrium and looks so new throughout.
I had a standard (deluxe) room (427) which had really comfortable beds, smart furniture and a bathroom with a separate shower, instead of the over bath shower which seems common in hotels. It had efficient and quiet air conditioning. It was spotlessly clean. .And the room was QUIET. Not only did you not hear anything from outside you barely heard anything from inside, even from out in the hallway. There is a coffee/tea station on each floor with good quality coffee, better I think than having little sachets of coffee in your room.
I never had the chance to eat there but there is enough choice between the restaurant, cafe, and in room dining. There are also plenty of places to eat at the station/airport.
Apart from the convenient location, the comfortable rooms and the facilities the other great thing about this hotel was the service. From the Australian lady who checked me in to the room attendant who wished me a good morning with a genuine smile the standard of service was first class, professional and friendly. It must be a nice place to work.
I look forward to returning on my next trip to the Netherlands.

Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Deon_Wagener, Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback!
We are so happy to hear that you would prefer to stay with us rather than a city center hotel. Schiphol Airport provides for some great shopping with the benefit of having it under one roof! Of course being only a short walk away from the airport terminals also helps!

Our employees are the foundation of this company. We strive to give warm, professional and friendly service to each and every guest that passes through our doors. I will certainly pass on your wonderful comments to team as this will undoubtedly encourage them to keep up the good work! Hopefully next time you would be able to try our cuisine. You can’t go wrong with our Sheraton Burger, it is quite renowned here!

We look forward to welcoming you back. May your next stay with us be just as memorable!

Deon Wagener

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 16, 2011

I travel frequently to the Netherlands and often stay at the Schiphol Sheraton, particularly when I need to visit different cities in the Netherlands. Practically every train in Holland goes through Schiphol so it is the hub of the public transport network!

The hotel itself is very easily reached from the airport terminal being a 50m walk. The rooms have recently had a refurb and are very comfortable. The curtains black out any light if you want but I quite like leaving the curtains open and seeing the traffic on the airfield. There is total soundproofing so you hear no noise from outside. For SPG Platinum guests free internet access is offered along with Club lounge access (which is also obviously available if you are staying in a club room). The Lounge is great - they do a pretty good breakfast spread in the morning and in the evening beer/wine and nibbles plus a couple of bottles of spirits were left out on my most recent trip for people to help themselves. Whilst the lounge is unmanned in the evening, the staff are pretty good at checking whether the bottles/snacks need replacing etc.

Couple of words of warning though
- the main restaurant is exhorbitantly priced - the more casual restaurant by reception is much cheaper.
- check-in/-out queues can be long particularly if you arrive at reception at the same time as the crew off a long-haul flight (most of the airlines use the hotel)

The gym is adequate but it would be nice to see a swimming pool at the hotel - unfortunately they are a rare feature in Amsterdam hotels!

Room Tip: High floor/outward facing
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
marly_vanlierop, Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear appreciated guest,
It is a pleasure to read your feedback on trip advisor. How wonderful that you always experienced a pleasant stay with us and that you enjoy the club lounge facilities. We would like to inform you, that we have the possibility for an express checkout. As one of our Platinum Guest you have the opportunity to check in and checkout in our club lounge between 7am till 1pm and 6pm till 8pm. On behalf of our team, we are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future if there is anything else we can assist you with please don’t hesitate to contact us.
Warm regards.
Marly van Lierop
Zoetermeer, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 9, 2011

We have been more than once in this hotel and it was as always: Very good rooms, nice bed and a very friendly staf. Everyone is helpfull and if you call guestservice they give you the service you want. The food was also good.
So I am sure that we will visit this hotel again.

Room Tip: Every room is good
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank obianyor
Deon_Wagener, Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, May 20, 2011
Dear Appreciated Guest,

We are always happy to receive positive feedback from our guests as this is great motivation to keep up the good work for our associates. At the Sheraton Hotel we strive to provide warm, friendly and professional service to all our guests in order to create a genuinely pleasant experience. We will share your appreciated comments with our team.

May your next stay with us be just as memorable!

San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 7, 2011

I recently stayed at the Sheraton at Schiphol airport for one night before catching my plane.

The rooms were very comfortable and modern. The entire hotel is well maintained and looks very new or newly remodeled which is very nice. The climate control worked well, it was very quiet which is rough for an airport hotel although this one managed to pull it off.

My floor had a coffee and espresso machine which is very nice as there are no coffee making facilities in the room. The bed was very comfortable and the room had a flat screen LCD TV with a good number of channels. The bathroom is really nice with a full sized tub and separate stand up shower.

The room has good WiFi but it costs quite a bit. I am not sure why hotels still charge for WiFi, its pretty annoying but at least when you pay for it, it works. I had room service and the food was quite good and made it up to the room pretty quick.

The desk is helpful but really slow, something you wouldn't expect at an airport hotel with allot of people coming and going but plan to wait a while to check in. Also, the up-sells they run through at the desk such as the breakfast package for about $50 has you watching you bill the entire stay as nothing is free here.

Aside from the pricey extras, it was a pleasant night sleep before a long flight which is what you are looking for at an airport hotel to start with. I would definitely return.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to have learnt that you had a pleasant stay before departing on a long flight!
We recently finished some remodeling in the rooms so we are pleased you found it comfortable and modern.
Your positive comments will most certainly be passed on to our chef’s and room service colleagues! The wireless Internet is still charged at the moment, but we do provide the Link@Sheraton where guests are able to make use of free Internet. We will however keep your suggestion in mind for the future.
I will personally look into the matter regarding the slow check-in, and when you visit us again we will do our utmost to provide a hassle free check-in. Perhaps for your next stay, it might be noteworthy to visit our homepage beforehand and browse through some of the promotions/offers we have.

As you would return to our hotel, we are eagerly awaiting your arrival!

Zionsville, Indiana
Reviewed May 4, 2011

I spent an evening at the Sheraton Amsterdam and had quite a pleasurable experience. It's a bit expensive but worth the extra cost based upon its proximity to Schiphol (connected via a walkway). I had a flight departing at 8am to the States so the ability to simply walk to the airport in 5 minutes and check-in was convenient.

From the hotel I also managed to use the tram system from the airport to travel into Amsterdam Central station for dinner with colleagues and then back to the hotel afterwards.

The rooms were in good condiditon. The hallways are a bit dated and beginning to show some wear but the rooms and main areas are in very good condition. The only disappointment I had were the lack of amenities in the workout facility - no steam room or pool but otherwise adequate.

I'll use this hotel again - I've stayed at the Sheraton AMS more than 6 times in the last 4 years.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Loyal Guest,

We would like to thank you for your positive review about our hotel. One of the biggest benefits of our hotel is indeed its convenient location.
The rooms underwent a small renovation not long ago, so we are pleased you find this to your liking. Indeed we do not have a pool in the hotel, but we do provide our guests with both a sauna and a steam room. I truly hope that you will have the pleasure to experience these facilities upon your next stay.

Overall, we were very glad to have learnt that you had a pleasurable experience while staying at our hotel and we look forward to your return!

Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 4, 2011

Great hotel connected to the train station, airport, and bus access. Although this hotel is not centrally located in Amsterdam it allows you access (fairly cheap) to public transportation to go where you need to. In the mornings I am able to catch the bus to where my office is and catch one back in the evenings. You are able to take the train for a decent fee to the Central Station or other stations depending on where you would like to go.

The rooms are maintained well with very comfortable beds. The selection of English channels is more than I have seen in other hotels.

The fitness room and sauna/steam room are very well maintained and never very crowded. If you get a chance to stay in the club rooms, do it as the club lounge is very well worth it. The breakfasts are good and if you would like to eat in the club lounge the selection is still enough to be happy.

Room service is quick and food is hot and tastes great. I stay here many times during the year and will continue to stay here.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Dear Appreciated Business Guest,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us on TripAdvisor. Our location on Schiphol Airport is indeed very attractive for our guests and we are very happy to read that you enjoyed the variety of channels offered in the room.
How wonderful that you have had a pleasant experience in our Club Lounge and in one of our club rooms. We will share your nice comment with our chef’s in the kitchen and room service colleagues.
Perhaps it is interesting for you to know that we have a new concept in our Sheraton Fitness & Spa; Core Performance. The Core Performance delivers workouts and can be personalized in training programs via their website. For more information please see our Sheraton Homepage.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Windermere, Florida
Reviewed April 20, 2011

I stayed there for two nights due to its location and public transportation options for the Kreukenhof Gardens. It is a short walk through the train station. Follow the signs to the hotel shuttels, and you will see an escalater going up to the hotel (also to the Hilton and parking area) and the hotel will be on the left shortly after the parking machines and a confectionary.

The staff were friendly and helpful at the checkout, but didn't completely explain all of the requirements of the forms they had me sign, only doing so when I asked them. Also a word of advise, make sure you have a printed copy of any receipts for the reservation at check out, which I didn't and learned the hard way. I had made my reservations through a travel agency, and was pre-paid to include all applicable taxes. However when I went to check out they stated I needed to pay the taxes since it wasn't paid already.

Since I arrived late at night, I chose to eat at the hotel's restaurant. While the food was good, it was extremely overpriced with main courses in the 20+ euro range. You can find cheaper and just as good options in the terminal area for a third of the price. The restaurant does advertise that the menu does change monthly, so at least there is a variety for those who make frequent trips to Amsterdam.

The room was nice and the beds comfortable. I had a room facing the airport, which was nice to watch the planes come in for a landing. There is very good soundproofing from the outside, as you don't hear any of the aircraft noise. However the walls between rooms are thin and such can hear even a normal conversation. There is a seperate shower and tub in the bathroom. There was also no hot water in the shower throughout my stay. At first I thought since it was early in the morning that they had just run out of hot water, which was odd enough at 0600 in the morning. However when I tried again in the evening it was still stone cold. However there was hot water in the sink and tub.

Even with these minor issues, the hotel is a good location for a short stay. It is approximately 15 minutes by train to the Amsterdam Central station, so is somewhat out of the way if you are there for an extended period of time. Unless you have a certain pass, it will cost you about 7 euros for a return trip so the money can add up.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
RebecaRodriguez, Manager at Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center, responded to this review, April 30, 2011
Dear appreciated leisure traveler,
Thank you for your honest post on Tripadvisor. We hope you enjoyed your visit to the “Keukenhof” as it is a beautiful place to visit during this time of the year. It is very nice to learn from your feedback such as the explanation of our registration cards at check in and your invoice at check out. We are very sorry to hear the shower did not have hot water early in the morning. We understand this has been very uncomfortable experience for you. We hope our associates have been able to assist you in resolving the problem. Furthermore, we regret that you experienced our restaurant prices too high. We have two restaurants which provide breakfast, lunch and dinner possibilities throughout the day. Our Runway Café is a more casual area whilst the Voyager restaurant offers a fine dining service. We must point out that outlets in the airport terminal solely offer fast food options. What is more, we are happy to hear the hotel’s location suits your needs. It is indeed very convenient to travel to the city center of Amsterdam and surroundings either by train or car/ taxi. Once again, thank you very much for your feedback. We sincerely hope you will return to our Sheraton property during your next visit to Amsterdam. Would you need any future assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. It would be a pleasure welcoming you back soon.
Wishing you an inspiring day,
Rebeca Rodriguez Frohwein
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
citizenM Schiphol Airport
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!