“Oh dear, all is not perfect here.”

citizenM Schiphol Airport
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
Reviewed June 26, 2009

The self check-in is great and simple to use. The room is small. If you are planning to stay here for the fist time with a partner and 2 or 3 sets of luggage there is almost no room to maneuver, really!!!.
However once you have managed to stow some stuff away under the bed and get settled in, the extra large bed and great extremely easy to set up Internet, help make the initial feeling of discomfort easier to bear.
Otherwise the TV is good, the room light and temperature settings are effective and the remote is easy to use.
The shower was fine and the use of the space for the toilet was quite ingenious, although hardly private.
Unfortunately our basin had a horrific stench coming from it which has been reported to Management so hopefully this is attended to.
The lounges and many large books were great, and the hotel is very quiet inside.
I have 2 major issues however.
Firstly there are no coffee making facilities in the room! It is easy enough to get a cup of tea or coffee downstairs but at 8 Euros a round, it’s just not reasonable value for money, which the company are so hard pressed to market themselves as!
In fact in hindsight I was really irritated as I had a 4 star option near Schiphol as well for 30 Euros/night more on a weekend special for a double room, which included a full Breakfast, and definitely had a kettle in the room, but chose the Citizen M based on the reviews.
So if my wife and I had 4 cups of coffee each over the 2 full days and nights and paid for the hopelessly overpriced breakfast offer we would have paid significantly more. The breakfast by the way was a fruit, croissant/sandwich and cup of coffee for 9.95 Euros.
So my question to the management is if you are not going to provide a simple necessity like tea/coffee in the rooms, is it not possible to offer this at a much more reasonable price in the public areas? This is not to compare with a cup of coffee at Starbucks, but at cost to you as you are not providing this in the first place.

Secondly and I guess it’s my mistake, but we still had a rental car and there is no parking available so you have to use the Airport parking, which as we all know, Airports all over the world are exorbitantly expensive.
As soon as I realised this it totally soured the experience further as the 2nd option also had free parking.
We made a crazy plan and parked in the rental car parking area and then recovered the car early the next morning, which saved me 35 Euros, but was irritating.

So as long as future patrons are aware of these facts, and weigh them up against the other options, the Citizen M is still a refreshing option, and with the 5 minute walk to the Airport terminal, it makes for real convenience especially for early morning flights.

Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (5,228)

Reviewed June 25, 2009

Stayed one night at Citizen M, but would have stayed more! It has a quick ride from the airport into the city and we had one afternoon and evening in Amsterdam. The hotel was great, small room, but super cool - just how I imagined. Phillips mood pad was neat, big comfy bed, rain shower, sink, and toilet: that's all we needed! We caught a great sale and our stay was a steal.

I love the way they themed the hotel, with quotes about travelling, witty logos and drawings, and contemporary furniture and Mac computers with free Internet.

Would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I had a late flight into and an early flight out of Amsterdam, so wanted to book a hotel near the airport. The citizenM sounded ideal - firstly, it was much less expensive than the other options, plus I was intrigued by the design concept. It's only a few minutes walk to the terminal, and then a short train ride into the centre of Amsterdam, so there's easy access for sightseeing.

Pros:
- Lovely big comfy bed with a big wall mounted TV opposite (would love that set up at home!)
- The huge drawer under the bed was great for storage
- Self-check in using touch screens, no need to queue behind loads of people
- Huge window and well laid out room meant that it didn't feel claustrophobic
- Really clever the way that everything has been fitted in. I discovered on the last day that the unit next to the sink swivels round to become a full length mirror!
- Once I got it working, the moodpad was pretty cool. I enjoyed playing with the different lighting options and the different wake up alarms
(Tip: If it doesn't appear to be working/responding, don't do what I did, ie. spend half an hour reading through the instructions trying to figure out what's going wrong and getting increasingly frustrated. Reboot it! There's a tiny reboot button on the bottom of the pad. If that doesn't work, the friendly staff will help you out)
- It really looks just like the pictures on their website!
- Good atmosphere in the communal areas on the ground floor, there were always people relaxing there but they never seemed crowded
- Free internet terminals
- Good value for money!

Cons:
- As other have already said, you would have to be pretty close to the other person if you're sharing a room! The dividing curtain won't keep out too much noise :) Plus as the bed is wall to wall, the person sleeping closest to the window has to climb over or around the other person. However, it's great for single travellers!
- There's no wardrobe, so if you like to hang up your clothes, you're limited to using the rack near the door (or you could hang them off the various towel rails)
- Wasn't too keen on the rain shower, the water pressure wasn't strong enough so it was like trying to shower under drizzle. However, the handheld shower was great so I stuck to using that instead

Would definitely stay there again if I return to Amsterdam. Wish there was a citizenM in every city!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank jytraveller
Reviewed June 23, 2009

GREAT-Recommended

Great hotel- 5minute walk from the airport- friendly and helpful staff..
bit dusty though..but apart from that no problems.

Reviewed June 22, 2009

I have stayed at this hotel before when it has newly opened. The hotel rooms are translucent thereby making it awkward to stay with someone other than your spouse. The shower area is separated by a sheer curtain from the bed. While the concept seems unique but its impractical to use. Almost everything is automated. From check in to check out. The shower in the bathroom lacks water pressure which leaves you feeling so very disappointed. At least for me it did not work. Despite staying there for 2 nights, the shower was not fixed. I ended up having to use the hand shower which had a better water pressure. There are no decent english channels to view except BBC and CNN. For any normal english movie also it is only pay per view. Despite checking in, checking out and rechecking into the same room, the linen was not changed nor was the room cleaned properly. The window blinds do not go up all the way so you have to see the runway through the striped blinds. While the hotel lobby looks new aged, the rooms and the hallway give you the feeing that it is like a college dormitory. A croatian staff member Katharena (if I recall her name) is very entertaining and a nice person to interact with. I would recommend the hotel for single travellers or couples due to the close proximity to the airport and because you can manage rooms under Euro 100. The Sheraton at Schiphol would cost over Euro 250 easily. The internet in the hotel is free (wi fi) but it breaks too frequently, which can be really frustrating when you are in the middle of work or downloading email or surfing the web. Overall, for me the unclean bed and linen and the poor water pressure in the shower would make me think twice before staying here again. Moreso because most staff just seemed to be doing their shift (multi tasking) so no one was really bothered to resolve the guests concerns. That I think should be the number one priority in the hospitality industry.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank MumbaiIndiTraveller
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution at citizenM Schiphol Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2009

Dear "MumbaiIndiTraveller",

Thanks for providing an overview of your experience at citizenM in detail

I would like to elaborate on a couple of your concerns.
First of all, I will let Katarina know that she made your stay more enjoyable.

The blinds:
Although the black out curtain goes all the way up, the blinds can turn up and down, but do not go up. This is because they are in between two layers of glass, for optimal thermal insulation. As you can see from pictures other users took on tripadvisor, this should not prehibit you from watching the planes go by.

The shower:
We have had one or two days were shower pressure was not up to par, however, I am not sure if you stayed on those date. Of course we do understand that a good shower experience is key to a perfect stay!

The WIFI:
Most of our guests travel with computers or telephones that connect to our free wifi. Providing good wifi has always been very important to us and we have worked with the best companies in the industry to make this a seamless experience. However, for users that have issues with the wifi due to computer settings or whatsoever, we have free wired internet outlets in our living rooms.

English TV/Movies:
As you may understand there is a limitation to the choice of channels a hotel can offer, and this differs per country. At this moment we have 11 English channels on our free tv channel list. BUT, what you might have missed is that all the English (and other language) on demand movies are free of charge at citizenM?

Clean sheets:
As you indicated you stayed with us for 2 nights. It is citizenM policy to change the linen every other day for guests that spend more nights with us. Of course the rooms gets cleaned fully, and the bed is made, we think we can contribute to a better climate by not washing our linen every day if a guest stays for more than one night. We hope you agree.

With the above text I hope that I expressed our concerns and have clarified things enough for you to consider a future stay at citizenM.

Safe travels!

citizenM

Lennert de Jong
Director of Distribution
citizenlennert@citizenm.com

Reviewed June 19, 2009

Let me start of by saying the concept of citizenM is great. The rooms look absolutely amazing and are fun to stay in. However, it doesn't live up to the luxury it claims to provide. First of all, the bed, the most important part of the room (we stayed there because we had a red-eye flight the next day), was not up to par. The mattras was only a few centimers thick and it felt like sleeping on the floor. Not providing the comfort you desire the night before an early flight. Secondly, the shower. Again, it didn't live up to the expectation created by visiting the citizenM website. For a hotel it was fine, but not nearly as nice as made out to be. Lastly, the mood pad. The remote control kept connecting and disconnecting, making it nearly impossible to control the tv.
Overall, great design, good value for money, but those mattrasses are absolutely horrible!

Pros:
- Great design
- Not expensive
- Flatscreen TV + movies
- WiFi
- Nice sheets

Cons:
- Horrible mattras
- Moodpad is not as cool
- Shower not as luxurious as website mentions

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution at citizenM Schiphol Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2009

Dear "Vocte",

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience at citizenM in detail with other mobile citizens of the world!

It's good to see that you liked the design and the free wifi and movies, but I'm sorry to hear that you had issues with the bed, the shower and our electronic remote control.

A good night sleep is key to all citizens who need to catch an early flight, that is why we have invested heavily in good linen and great quality matrasses. Every day we get requests from people who would like to buy a mattras and as you can see from other users on this site, there is a high level of satisfaction about the comfort that our beds provide. The few centimers you might have identified is the top layer of 6cm. Below that layer there is a 26cm thick Sealy 5 star quality mattras. However, we do understand that each individual has its own preference with regards to his/her mattras and respect your opinion.

We very much hope you will come back to citizenM. Please let me know personally if you do, so that I can arrange for a demonstation of the bed, the shower, as well as the moodpad, so that you get a better experience out of it next time.

Until then,
your friends at citizenM

Lennert de Jong
Director of Distribution
citizenlennert@citizenm.com

Reviewed June 18, 2009

This is truly one of the most unique and convenient hotels I've ever stayed in. From the effortless check-in, to your smooth check-out...the whole stay is an adventure.

Once you enter your spacious room - with it's unique glass tube, mood lighted, sky shower - you'll begin to familiarize yourself with your room via your handheld remote/moitor that gives you complete control of everything from the color and intensity of the overhead room lights to the mood lights in the glass tube shower and WC, to the automatic shades in the windows, the huge wall mounted thin screenTV, room temp, and background soundeffects. Our room was overlooking a runway and we never once heard a jet. They were there, busily moving in and out, and we could see them, but they couldn't see us (whew) - but we could never hear them. The bed is massive and the pillows are huge, and plush!!! You can even lull yourself to sleep with a soft seductive voice counting sheep for you.

This hotel is as much an adventure as it is a useful property located literally steps from the airport entrance. Check out the pics in this section and try to imagine the fun you'll have here. I'll be back everytime I'm in Amsterdam - at the airport or at their new downtown location. This place rocks!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Van der Valk Hotel Schiphol
Ramada Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!