“I Love It”

citizenM Schiphol Airport
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
Reviewed April 5, 2009

Check in and out were easy, the staff were friendly (if mostly unnecessary) the room was spotless and very comfy. And I have never been to an airport hotel that was so quiet! I will be back

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (5,085)

Reviewed April 5, 2009

I was staying two nights at citizenM. After my landing I walked to the hotel. It's located on your right side when you coming to the arrivals area. You can walk inside all the way to Starbucks and use that door to get outside. From that point you see the hotel. IT's a few minuters walk away.
Check-in was very easy and quick. Friendly staff was welcoming you and asked if this was your first stay. You check-in at a computer and it's very easy to just follow the screen.
The rooms are small but for me that was not an issue. I didn't spend so much time in my room. It's a new design in the rooms. You have remote controll for lights, blinds and TV. So cool with diffrent mood setting for lights.
The hotel has four computers free to use, there is also WiFi. You can also use a printer. In the entrance of the hotel they have a little shop with sandwiches and drinks. You can buy a breakfirst plate. I didn't eat at the hotel, I walked to the airport plaza to eat and shop.
This hotel is very good in every kind of way. I really liked it and I will be staying here again when I come to Amsterdam next time.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 31, 2009

We had a near perfect overnight stay at the Citizen M. After five museums in one day, I found the comfy bed and wonderful shower quite welcome. Check in and out is a cinch. So easy to get to on foot and quite convenient for early departures. Great public transportation from the airport makes staying here at least one night a no brainer. Rooms are a bit small if you have lots of luggage. The rooms are amazingly quiet. Only negative was an alarm that failed to go off.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank luvtogo09
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Went over for the Scotland match. Booking in via the computer yourself didn't work but the staff were on hand immediately. Very clean and a great sleep. Value for money.The location maybe wouldn't suit everyone as you have to travel in and out but in our case we thought we'd get a god sleep which proved correct. Rooms could be a bit bigger but for all the time we were in it, it didn't really matter. Still not sure about the glass toilet.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank DavyfaePirth
Reviewed March 28, 2009

I was very much looking forward to staying at this high-style, new-concept hotel and I must say we had a great time. My husband and I had brought my 80-year-old father to France to visit family and we had a short layover in AMS on the way back. Since our flight was early in the morning, we decided to stay at the airport, which is still just a short ride by train from central Amsterdam.
The highlight for us was the lobby and bar/canteen space - I love good design and every chair, sofa and table in the three different spaces is interesting. Check out the orange foam structure in the window. The idea of Citizen M is that mobile travellers like to be where they can meet and connect with other travellers and the lobby is so comfortable and inviting it's considered your living room. I think it's a great tribute to the concept of the hotel that my dad had the best time of us, all chatting with other travellers and the energetic, gracious Citizen M Ambassadors who man the check-in stations and canteen. This could have been the usual cold, sterile, impersonal airport hotel but instead we will remember Edward, Marta and the other Ambassadors even more than the cool design of the place.
Granted, the rooms are small, but if you've come off a long flight, that 6ft-square bed is vastly more space than you've just been confined to. The bed is perfectly comfortable and the duvet generously thick and spotlessly clean. Storage space is limited but the room design makes the most of the space available with shelves and a huge drawer under the bed for suitcases. We are used to cruise-ship cabins so we found it easy living in our compact room.
Dad had a separate room across the hall (every room at Citizen M has one king bed) and he did find the Moodpad controller to be a bit of a challenge. One of the very few drawbacks of the system is it doesn't adjust very precisely so you can't always get the lights or blinds exactly as you want them if you don't want them all the way one way or the other.
You might not want to eat three meals a day at the Canteen but the food is very good and it's available 24 hours a day, just like having your own kitchen.
Citizen M is preparing to open a second hotel in downtown AMS and we definitely will stay there on our next trip. We don't spend a lot of time lounging in our hotel room so we'd prefer to have a well-designed space at a very low price. That's exactly what you get at Citizen M, but the kindness and warmth of the Ambassadors really make you feel like you are staying in someone else's cool home. Both Dad and I were a bit under the weather and Edward mixed up a hot lemon/honey/ginger tea for us which was very comforting.
Other cool touches: your key card is reusable as a luggage tag, you can buy one of the off-kilter stuffed bunny rabbits who greet you in your suite, there are runway lights leading from the terminal to the hotel, and the selection of art, design and photography books available for browsing in the lobby is amazing.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank YVR_guestservices
Reviewed March 26, 2009

I was on a one night layover in Amsterdam so for convenience I booked at Citizen M a few meters from Schiphol Airport. During their self check-in process, I encountered problems finding my reservation. Had to take out my laptop and check the file copy of the confirmation slip, which I had failed to make a hardcopy of. Lo and behold, the problem was that I made an error in booking and had reserved the previous night and I had in fact forfeited my advance payment. Without so much as a discussion, the staff attending to me revised my booking and I then proceeded to check-in smoothly and proceeded to my room. Now it may have been a different case had the hotel been fully booked of course, but I suppose some other hotels would still have taken the low road and asked me to re-book (and pay for) a second night, even with a room available (it was a booking for Sunday evening).

The room itself was small but comfortable enough. The LCD TV and king-size bed were the plus points along with the fast (and free) WiFi. There was however no desk large enough to really work on. The 2 circular desks with lamps could barely hold my fairly small laptop so I ended up literally having it on top of my lap whilst seated on the bed.

Being close to Schiphol meant having access to the train as well as bus network of Amsterdam and the city centre was just minutes away. The soundproofing seemed to be enough as I did not hear any plane noise during my stay despite being adjacent to the tarmac.

The one negative however is that check-out is a bit early at 11 AM, so no time even to go for lunch first before checking-out. No big issue however as they allow free storage of luggage after you check-out for pick-up later so one can just go to the airport or into town and eat after checking-out and just pick up luggage later.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank RRGT
Reviewed March 25, 2009

The auto check in was a bit impersonal at first but someone soon appeared to help. Liked the room concept very much. Fantastic beds and novel bathroom arrangement. Also excellent value for money. One day there will be hotels like this one in all cities.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank AberdeenGogsie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
Dorint Airport Hotel Amsterdam
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!