“Perfect fit for an overnight stay.”

citizenM Schiphol Airport
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Schiphol
Alexandria, Virginia
“Perfect fit for an overnight stay.”
Reviewed December 13, 2008

I was in AMS for 24 hours and the hotel was perfect for my needs. A short walk from Schipol and the train station which links you to downtown in 10-15 minutes. The staff is very friendly and were kind enough to answer my 20 questions about the hotel and the city. At less than half of the price of the other two walkable airport hotels, it is simply a bargain you should not pass up.

• Liked — Location
1 Thank navyplt

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (761)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 12, 2008

CitizenM is ideally located. It's a 2 mins walk from Schipol terminal and walking distance to anywhere else in the Schipol area. I arrived for work and was nice to be able to walk to and from office every day.

Checkin is efficient and staff are helpful. Room was nice and clean and well presented. It's a modern layout, but works well.

A few niggles - the "moodpad" kept tripping out and didn't stay charged very long. Eventually I dumped it and used remote control for telly instead. Shower is OK, don't particularly like the overhead option and you can't move it. Pressure wasn't great either.

No ironing facilities in the hotel...but if you ask they'll let you use the hotel iron in the back of house. It would have been nice to have a properly set up ironing room for guests to use. People need to iron.

Food and drink options are limited and pricey. Staff on this area were not usually the most efficient, often prefering to chat amongst themselves and finish conversations before attending to customer.

My advice for food and drink is to head into the airport terminal. There's a Starbucks 3 mins walk from the hotel and other reasonably priced options in the terminal.

The lobby area is nicely laid out for watching telly, using computers etc.

On a high note - movies are free and there's complimentary wifi, which is very welcome and forward thinking.

Worst problem was the questionable practice of charging customers for not staying at the hotel...yes really. In my niaivity I booked the "flexible rate" I assumed that would mean I could be "flexible" with my booking. But apparently not. ! was booked for 5 nights, but at the last moment I got notice that a meeting had been cancelled - great home to family a bit earlier.

When I went to check out they said that they had to charge me for the 5 night even though I wouldn't be staying as I hadn't given them 24hrs notice. Despite protest I was told to "email reservations". I emailed, but unfortunately noone bothered to reply.

So, keep this in mind if staying at the hotel...it's not really "flexible" in the normal sense of the term.

I'd have given the hotel a 4 or 5 star review if I hadn't felt so ripped off upon leaving, great trip spoit by questionable business practices.

Oh, a word about the website "style over substance". It's hard to get information from it.

• Liked — Free Movies and Wifi
  • Disliked — Rip Off on the "flexible" rates.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank oruanaidh
hotelexpertAmsterdam, Director of Distribution & Business Development at citizenM Schiphol Airport, responded to this review, December 15, 2008
Dear Oruanaidh,

First of all thanks for taking the time to share your experience and mostly positive words with other mobile citizens!

Please allow me to respond to "the quesionable practices" you raised as well in your review above.

citizenM is often complimented by the fact it offers only 2 very transparent prices on citizenM.com: a prepaid rate and a flexible rate. These 2 rates have a different cancellation policy. With the flexible rate you have the option to cancel up to the day of arrival.

What you refer to is what the hotel industry refers to as an "early check out policy", which is quite different than cancelling a reservation before you check in. You were already a guest and paid for the entire stay when you checked in.

Our "early check out policy" communicates that early check outs are not refunded.

THere are always situations that grant exceptions to a rule and our staff is aware of that very much. Please note your request has never reached our reservation department.

Please get in touch with me if you would like to resolve the issue you described. You can email me at citizenlennert@citizenm.com

We hope we can convince you that citizenM is not about Questionable Practices but about making luxury more affordable for all mobile citizens and see you back at citizenM soon!

Your friends at citizenM

Lennert de Jong
Distribution & Business Development
citizenlennert@citizenm.com
Gelderland
Reviewed December 8, 2008

This was my second stay in CitizenM. I became a real fan of this hotel concept during my first stay. You get a lot of luxery for a low price. Especially in the weekend when prices are lower. Ok, the toiliet is a bit noisy when you with two people in the room. But the shower is magnificient. Same like the king size bed.

• Liked — View outisde, luxery of room, free movies, lights
  • Disliked — Noise of toilet
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Sogne
Reviewed December 8, 2008

A stay at the CitizenM gives a feeling of living a little ahead of time, a glimpse of the future....Extra points for design, although I prefer the 'old' way of turning on my shower. Towels were excellent and generously many.
Check in and check out was easy. The staff are few but sufficient and very friendly and helpful. Traditional goodies on the check in desk at St. Nicholas was a cool treat that I appreciated. Thanks!
Plusses: the huge, comfortable bed with a generous amount of pillows.
The free internet access and available computers downstairs.
The free movies on tv. GREAT!!
A big minus for the room being so cold even when preference on the moodpad was set to the highest possible. Had to use the hairdryer to get some much needed warmth, being chilled down after a long travel.
All over impression: GOOD! Great location, walking distance to the airport.
Very suitable for practical use when traveling, also with children, less suitable for romance or luxury pampering..
All in all I would say this hotel is good value for money and can be recommended.

• Liked — bed, internet access
  • Disliked — temperature, room layout
Boston
Reviewed December 8, 2008

Great hotel for the price. High design, with funky feel. Rooms are tiny, but very well thought out - feels kind of like you are in a yacht. Great lighting and interactive room controls.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled on business
Atlanta GA
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Husband and I stayed at the CitizenM on our last night in Amsterdam in order to be close to the airport for our morning flight. This would definitely not be a place to stay while touring the city, but it's great when you need to be near the airport. The price was great, too.

On arrival we stepped inside and encountered a bank of computers to check ourselves in. It was quick and easy, but there was staff nearby to assist if we needed it.

I'd seen pictures of the room, so I wasn't surprised by its size. I liked the shower and toilet compartments, though the shower leaked a bit. The floor is not carpeted, which I found odd but perfectly fine. The bed is wall-to-wall at the end of the room, which was fun, but a little challenging when sleeping two in the bed since someone has to climb over the other. Other reviewers have complained about the gimicky remote controls for the lights, tv, music and window blinds, but I thought it was really nifty. I had a lot of fun with it. I couldn't dim the lights with it, though -- I had to choose a "theme" to get dimmed lights. The tv had a multitude of channels in several European languages, which was also fun. The room was very well soundproofed. I didn't hear neighbors or airplanes. The window blinds blocked light very well, too.

Downsides: the bed was quite hard. The bedside tables were small, but they did have reading lamps and electrical plugs nearby. There was no luggage tray, only one chair, and no desk or other place to write or use a laptop. The shower has no place to set your own things and the rain shower is too weak to properly rinse with. (I used the handheld instead, which was very good.) There are no washcloths. The bathmat is slippery on the smooth floor. The electronic control unit lit up brightly when we put it in its charging cradle, which disturbed our sleep. We covered it, but discovered the next morning that if we had removed it from its cradle it would have gone dark.

I didn't get to spend much time in the lobby lounge, but it looked pretty cool. I loved the mod decor, the laptop/work desks, and the couches and chairs. We got some snacks from the canteen, which was a little overpriced, but no worse than typical vending machine markup. Fresh croissants, light sandwiches and pudding cups were far better than typical candy bar and potato chip fare, though!

I was worried about walking to the airport, but it was very easy. The walkway was paved and covered, and led us directly to the ticketing area. The hotel provided airport luggage carts for us to use!

• Liked — Novelty of room, location by airport.
  • Disliked — Lack of desk and luggage tray in the room.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Rotterdam, Netherlands
Reviewed December 6, 2008

Just back from my second stay in 4 weeks at CitizenM...and this concept is absolutely awesome!

It's just so much fun to start your trip just one night earlier and to walk to check-in the next morning.

You can read from other reviews all the special settings about the room but don't forget the lobby area with it's bar and choice of snacks ...very diversified, fresh and for the location (airport) very reasonably priced :-)

Believe me ... each time I have an early flight (or even just any morning flight!) and the room rate is good .... I'll stay at CitizenM.

• Liked — The unique concept
  • Disliked — Nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schiphol
Hilton Amsterdam Airport Schiphol
Sheraton Amsterdam Airport Hotel and Conference Center
Ibis Budget Amsterdam Airport
Hotel Ibis Schiphol Amsterdam Airport
NH Amsterdam Schiphol Airport
Hyatt Place Amsterdam Schiphol Airport

Been to citizenM Schiphol Airport? Share your experiences!